Friday, January 23, 2009

January 23, 2009 - Friday

Todays Gazette comes with a reminder to attend the St.Thomas Booster
Clubs 42nd annual Walleye Fish Fry Saturday. You can purchase "early"
tickets from The Extra End, First United Bank and Bremer Bank. Stop by
and buy a ticket anyway, even if you can't attend the Fish Fry.
--------------------------
The current temperature is -4 degrees
The "feels like" temperature is -25
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 20/1
Normal H/L temp for this date is 15/-4
You'll notice the average low for the date today is -4. That indicates
we are "finally" over the hump. Our average daily low is back on the
rise. I guess,... much like Al Gores global warming theory.
==========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------------
Most folks have already packed away their Christmas decorations and
there is hardly a headache left in town from the 2009 New Years
celebration. Most everyone made it through Martin Luther King Jr.'s
holiday with flying colors (no pun intended). Now then, today we find
ourselves with only three days until we begin celebrating Raumin Gone.
It is my understanding the celebration actually begins sometime before
daylight this coming Monday morning.
Monday is also the day that Donnie LaBerge will grab his sweetheart,
toothbrush and a bag of pancake mix and head for the gator country on
the windy peninsula. He is planning two fun filled weeks of sun and
relaxation. Unless of course, he gets into the wrong kind of peanut
butter. In which case he will spend a couple weeks, "in the sun with the
runs",.... if you know what I mean.
------------------------------
Gas in town is in the $1.88 range. That, according to AA, plus the cost
and depreciation of a vehicle, means a simple trip 40 miles and back
costs about $40,... without the cookies and coffee.
------------------------------
In yesterdays Gazette I mentioned a few "indications" that Grafton's
Growing is Showing. The eight U-Haul Vans at Rick's Repair was factual.
It is also a fact that someone really is interested in the former
Penny's building.
Unfortunately, that shiny white Cadillac in front of Barb's Property
Management was not someone new in town looking for a local place of
residence, as indicated by the following note from Carol. She wrote: >>>
Hi Mr. Moe,
I was just forwarded a copy of your latest Shivercity Gazette. I am
sorry that you are troubled because a shiny new white cadillac is parked
outside of my business as I am troubled by the fact that you watch for
the Menard's truck to be parked outside of my business.
The white cadillac belongs to my secretary, Mrs. Sherrie (Marvin)
Altendorf from Minto, ND. Now I may not be positive, but I do
believe that Mr. Altendorf does purchase many vehicles in this
community. If you would care to check my vehicle and the one my
husband drives which is always parked at True Value Hardware, the other
business in town which we own, you will certainly see that they were
both purchased in Grafton. We (Kerry and I) support Grafton. We
have a vested interest in the success of Grafton. We both serve and have
served on several boards in this community. But I regret, that I
cannot tell my employees that they must purchase in Grafton, it is still
a free country.
Please also know that my Company does not own any of the
apartments or homes which we rent out. They all belong to a diverse
group of individual owners, many of whom do not live in North Dakota.
It is my responsibility to follow their instructions when purchasing
large ticket items for their rentals. They instruct me to seek out
quotes and they also instruct me to shop at Menards or Lowes. We do a
large amount of our shopping in Grafton at True Value, Simonson Lumber,
Simonson Gas, Pamida, Alco, Kutz and O'Brien, Kieley Electric, Northland
Plumbing and Home of Economy. But in this troubled economic times we
must shop where we get the most for our owner's money.
Sincerely,
Carole DeMars
Barb's Property Management Co. <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Carole. I did go back and check
yesterdays Gazette and was unable to find any mention of Menards in it
anywhere. And, as far as the suggestion of me being "troubled" is
concerned. I might add that my observations were, and are, absolutely no
different than a great many folks from the area that use our city
streets for transportation.
I also find it somewhat ironic that a landlord, expects to receive
payment from someone living in his facility, using money earned in a
local business that the landlord refuses to patronize.
I have said often, there is absolutely nothing in this town that can't
be bought someplace else for less money, nothing.
That, in my opinion, is exactly the reason our business community, as
every business community should, be working overtime to answer the
question...........
"What does this community have to offer?"
------------------------------------
"Issues and concerns do not become problems, until we refuse to discuss
them." Or so it seems to me.
------------------------------------
It is relatively easy to look at the forest and appreciate the view.
It is much more difficult to identify the trees and what they need to
continue to exist." GLM
------------------------------------
Hi Gary:
Hope with all the hoopla about all the money being spent in Washington
DC in spite of the recession that you will find room to share at least
part of this message. I think you might have briefly mentioned some
facts on these 2 border patrol men and I would like much of America to
know they were commuted not pardoned but they will be back with their
families soon.
Toni Ringsak Glover,
P.S. Feel free to use my name I am proud to be a part of
sending Bush and our congressmen messages to accomplish this.
From the Desk of:
Steve Elliott, President, Grassfire.org Alliance
Ruth, (Toni)
President Bush has commuted the prison sentences of former Border Agents
Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean!
Ruth, as you might expect, our offices are positively buzzing with
this news, and I want you to know that I couldn't be more thrilled with
every member of the Grassfire team who played a huge role in making this
day a reality!
--It was Grassfire team members who signed and helped mobilize more
than 450,000 citizens who signed our petition
and stood with us throughout this ordeal.
<<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Ruth. In my opinion, those
two gentlemen should have been pardoned.
======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
======================
"Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those who mind don't
matter.... and those who matter don't mind."
Or so it seems to me


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: