Friday, January 02, 2009

January 2, 2009 - Friday

01/02/09 FRIDAY
Todays Gazette is brought to you in memory of Ray & June Capouch
-----------------------
The current temperature is -10 degrees
The "feels like" temperature is -25
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 22/-3
Normal H/L temp for this date is 15/-4
It was 43 degrees on this date in 1926
========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
Raymond Capouch, 86 died Dec. 23, 2008 at Innovis Health in Fargo. Ray
spent most of his adult life in Grafton as a butcher. I'll always
remember Ray and June (McDermaid) Capouch as always appearing to enjoy
life. June, as I remember best, loved to bowl and she sold Sarah
Coventry Jewelry. The fact that they raised a fantastic family of 6 boys
and 6 girls indicates to me that they not only enjoyed their work, they
most certainly enjoyed their family, and each other as well.
Those fortunate enough to know Ray and June will remember Rays smile
was as wide as he was tall, and Junes laughter could brighten even the
darkest of days.
Ray has gone on to be with June again and together they have left this
world a much better place.
Pat and I and our family, would like to extend our most sincere
condolences to the Capouch family.
----------------------------
Tom sends his memories of Fr. Lommel.
>>>> I like thousands have special memories of Fr Lommel. I served
with him in the Guards and also enjoyed his visits with his special
martini case that he brought with him each time. But, one particular
moment I would like to share. I was chosen to serve as a money
counter at St. John's and after mass my daughter Jackie and I went to
the parish home to perform our duties to count the money. At about
that time Fr. Lommel came into the office and asked how we were
doing. That's when I asked him if it was alright if I would throw the
money up in the air and whatever the Lord takes is his and whatever
drops down I would keep. Father looked at me with that half crooked
smile of his and said, "I don't think so Tom".
I also would like to say something special to my family. When our
daughter Jackie (who helped count the money with me so many times)
passed away in 2001 and Father came to her wake with his walker and
ailing even then. That is so special to us and now they are probably
counting money in heaven.
Tom Gerszewski,
Walsh County Veterans Service Officer <<< Thanks a million for caring
and sharing Tom. I read your message twice and I still couldn't tell how
much money actually "stayed up".
-------------------------
Debbie wanted to share her memory of Fr. Lommel. She wrote: >>>> Hi
Gary,
Thank you for sharing Father Lommel's obituary with us. I can't think
of anyone that did more for us in Grafton. He was so good to us as
teenagers; he used to call me up and tell me to go and buy snacks and
pop and let my friends know that his basement was open to us. When I
was in college he used to call and take Maureen O'Keefe and I out for a
nice dinner just to talk. Father Lommel was a positive influence in my
life and I kept in touch through the years with him. He married me
and is one reason I am strong in my faith today. I'm sure he is
enjoying heaven as much as he enjoyed his life on earth. Thank you,
Father Lommel, for all you've done for others.
Debbie (Sieben) Robinson <<< Thank you for caring and sharing Debbie.
For me, at times like these the words; "Write if you can, call if you
can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,..... before it's too late"
comes to mind.
---------------------------
Caring and sharing is what makes the world worth living in. Retired
Roseau Dentist & pilot Dr. Bob Harris shared the following thoughts.
>>>> Gary, I feel very fortunate to be on the list for your Gazette,
even tho I am not a "Graftonite". I love those "pearls" that either
come from your fertile brain or from some research into the
literature. I remember being in Grafton in the mid 30's as a little
boy. My father's best man and my mother's matron of honor were Carl
and Agnes Dahlquist from Roseau. Soon after my folk's wedding they
moved to Grafton to manage a grocery store and we went over for a visit
(as I remember) to see how it was going for them. They subsequently
moved back to Roseau and remained best of friends until they went on to
a better place. We used to have a contingent of golfers from Roseau
that came over for a few of your "shortstop" golf tournaments in the
summers when I was mobile. Later on I spent some hours in your
community with varying levels of satisfaction as I was refereeing some
of your high school hockey games. I do have mostly fond memories of
those challenges.
We wish you a most healthy and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Keep me on you
list (and don't spend all your time in the library)
Bob and Phyllis <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Bob. I will
be looking forward to our coffee "chats" next summer at Arnesen's Rocky
Point, Rock Harbor Lodge.
---------------------------
Speaking of libraries, one doesn't really appreciate the value of one
til you eaten a pound of lobster and a half a pound of melted butter. I
have found the secret to successfully managing the emergency trips to
the library, is making sure there isn't anything laying around on the
floor, not locking any doors and having a copious supply of Mr.
Whipple's little white squares available. I'm guessing the folks a
Curves could incorporate a lobster and melted butter dinner in their
exercise program. I don't think the cost would matter much,... as it
would all come out in the end anyway.
Or so it seems to me.
------------------------------
-
My good friend Kermit from Gettysburg Pa. Shared the following. >>>
Minus 20 - feels like - 31?!!!! Are you staying in bed? and having
"kaffe paa sengs"? The norkie tradition of "(morning) coffee in bed
with cookies and a lefse" ..... aside from the crumbs, it's a cozy
tradition.
HAPPY NEW YEAR....ENJOY THE DAY!! WINDY here, but sunshiney and "cold".
The old troll, k <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Kermit.
I have my coffee at Granny's, my cookies at home and, unfortunately,
there isn't a single piece of lefse in sight.
======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
======================
"Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those who mind don't
matter.... and those who matter don't mind."
Or so it seems to me


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: