Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 15, 2009 - Thursday

Todays Gazette is brought to you from the warmth and glow of my
fireplace.
------------------------
The current temperature is -23
The "feels like" temperature is -43
Yesterdays H/L temperature -9/-25
Normal H/L temp for this date 14/-5
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------------
Only 5 days until we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. day and, in just
12 days we will celebrate Raumin Gone.
---------------------------
The Joe Birkeland Square idea received additional support from the
proprietor of Pam's Pantry. Pam wrote; >>> Gary,
I love the idea of the Gazebo and City Square! It would be an awesome
way for our citizens to share their talents, crafts, music, etc. I would
be a regular vender and shopper! It would also be a way for folks to
see, just what our community has to offer! Pam Crawford <<< Thanks a
million for caring and sharing Pam. Personally I doubt anyone today
could look at the space once occupied by the Gambles building and say
that that property hasn't improved our downtown, and or community, as a
parking lot, rather than sailboat fuel storage.
-------------------------------
When I was posed with the question, "What does this community have to
offer?" I'll admit, it certainly did get me thinking. Evidently that
question gave others reason to share a reason for concern as well.
The following note relates to an issue that simply just shouldn't
happen, here or in any community. >>>>
Gary -
A friend of mine chose to stay at the AmericInn here in Grafton. When
she checked in, nothing was stated to her about the pool's heater being
broken. She had her child with her and had hoped to use the facilities
for a nice relaxing weekend getaway.
Once she found out of the broken heater in the pool (and the fact that
the pool was ice cold), she felt misled. She phoned the AmericInn today
to speak to a manager. She got the assistant manager. When expressing
her concern about the hotel, the amount she paid with the pool not being
accessible, the assistant manager told her that it was "not their
responsibility to tell them of the pool's status" and "that if she
didn't like the fact that the pool heater was not working, she should
have checked out and gone somewhere else".
This was the ASSISTANT MANAGER speaking.
What happened to customer service? I am embarrassed of the way the
hotel treated my friend and her family. I will never recommend the
AmericInn to anyone ever again. I forwarded my friend the number
to the cooperate headquarters of AmericInn.
Hopefully there she will get some customer service worth something.
AmericInn of Grafton and their management should be ashamed of the
way they treated someone who paid nearly 95.00 dollars for a
smoke infested
bed and no extras.
Sincerely -
A disappointed recommender of AmericInn. (NEVER
again.) Thanks a million for caring and sharing. Solving issues such as
this would be one super way of addressing the "what does this community
have to offer" question. Or so it seems to me.
---------------------------
The following note from Idaho comes complete with a question I
certainly can't answer. Maybe someone else can.
Lyle Anderson wrote; >>>
Gary, it's interesting to see your minus degree weather. My
brother works for Marvin Windows in Roseau, and I think they are
getting your same weather. We don't get it too often here where we
live in Idaho, but I have seen a minus 30 here, working outside
framing a house in the mid 80's, but not since.
I remember as a kid laying at night in our house in Warren, Mn., we
could almost tell the outside temperature by the noise of the popping
in the exterior walls of our house. It sounded like someone was
shooting a 22 rifle in our walls. My theory is that it was the
moisture collecting on the nails through the siding and actually
causing them to move in the framing. I'm not sure if that was the
reason or not. If any of your readers know the reason, I'd like
to know. I've told the story for 60 years like I described above
,and I probably wouldn't change it now, but maybe for my own
satisfaction. I remember seeing a minus 50 on the thermometer several
times. It's probably a good thing we didn't know anything about
wind-chill then, I probably wouldn't have been out rabbit hunting at 20
below. Where is Mr. Gore when you need him??? Keep warm, lyle <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Lyle. I can't answer the noisy
house question. However, rumor has it Al Gore is out in Yellowstone
checking out the tremors around Old Faithful. It sounds like he's
suggesting we should shut down all of our National Parks,... before they
all blowup.
--------------------------
Speaking of cold, where it is and where it isn't. Sharon sent this from
the land of the snowbirds. >>>> Gary,
A hi from Mesa, Arizona where it is close to 100 degrees warmer than
Grafton --- it's 75 now.. We are having a record breaking January also.
Yesterday's high broke the record for that date in history by 1 degree.
Now you know why so many people head this was in the winter.
Sharon <<<< Thanks a million for caring Sharon, if only you could share
some of your warmth too.
----------------------------
I am still getting notes from folks remembering Father Lommel. I
especially like this one from Debbie and I think we could all learn
something from it's message.
Debbie wrote; >>>
Hi Gary,
My Mom just sent me the pamphlet from Fr. Lommel's funeral and I am
reading the front of it. He said he was always surrounded by good
people, but the truth of it is that he always FOUND the good in people.
I hope we will always remember his kindness and non-judgmental ways.
And, by the way, people here in Charlotte think we are in a cold spell -
24 tonight - if they only knew!!!!!!!
Debbie (Sieben) Robinson <<<< Thanks for caring and sharing Debbie. It
is -23 degrees presently in Shivercity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ PLEASE - DO - NOT - FORGET ~~
The 23rd Annual Bologna Contest this Friday Night - Harvey Ave.
Saloon in Minto starting at 6:00 pm. All Proceeds go to the boys and
girls scouts of Minto.
Last year Chris Misialek of the Harvey Avenue Saloon was able to give
the kids a significant amount of money. Lets hope this year it can be
even more. =======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=======================
"Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those who mind don't
matter.... and those who matter don't mind."
Or so it seems to me


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: