Monday, April 02, 2007

April 2, 2007 - Monday - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you by Kravik's 66 Service.
-------------------------
The current temperature is 35 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was NA
Normal H/L temp for this date is NA
Talk about a nasty April Fools Joke. When we woke up Sunday Morning the
ground was covered with snowman parts.
Now their telling us to prepare for more "winter like" weather in the
coming week.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
--------------------------
Jose Cole's Circus was in town Friday night under the auspices of the
Grafton Chamber of Commerce. The Jose Cole operation brings good clean
family entertainment to small communities across the nation. The Grafton
business community, once again, should be commended for sponsoring down
home, holsum, entertainment for the residents of the Grafton area.
I must admit, I not only enjoyed the performances provided by the
circus folks. I also enjoyed watching several of my grandchildren, and,
one great grandchild participate as well. As I suspected, the elephant
rides during intermission were a huge success. I will admit, however, I
was a bit disappointed to find out that I (-- and, I'm really having
trouble explaining this one --) am to big to ride an elephant. To be
specific, the announcer said, "during the intermission children and
'small adults' will be able to ride the elephant."
Well, I'm not a child, and, the last time I looked, I couldn't possibly
qualify as a "small adult".
ANYWAY, I would like to thank the Grafton Chamber of Commerce for
providing folks in the Grafton area a wonderful fun filled evening.
----------------------
Have you answered the Walsh County Records "Why do you shop, or, Why
don't you shop Grafton? Although it does say right under the question
that it (the questionnaire) is unscientific. I too, have looked at the
questionnaire, several times. I have pondered several variations of
'possible' answers. And, then it struck me. That questionnaire shouldn't
be going to customers, or consumers at all. It should be going, hand
delivered if possible, to the business community of "our" community.
It is the responsibility of the business community to provide the
incentives necessary to ensure consumer participation and the long term
viability of their organization. Or so it seems to me.
-------------------------
The following note, from Grafton auto dealer Jeff Hanson, is in
response to Gary Fischer's comments about "foreign cars" in an earlier
Gazette. Jeff wrote, >>> Gary, I thought I would write you a little note
on my opinion of the auto industry. I am not trying to beat my own
drum, as I know from dealing with general motors on a daily basis that
they are far from perfect. Sometimes when you live amongst them, it is
easier to see the flaws in friends and neighbors and believe that they
are flawed, than it is to see the good in them. The same principle
also applies to local hospitals, businesses and city and county
administrations (but that's a whole different subject). The reality
is that most manufacturers these days make a pretty good product.
Back in the 70's and 80's when the big three (GM, Ford, and Chrysler)
held most of the market share they were there own, only competition.
Now there are more than 38 different brands of automobiles sold in the
USA. All of them make a % of there vehicles or parts of there
vehicles in America. Toyota currently imports 52% of the parts on the
vehicles produced in America. I know that they do provide jobs and
benefits to many Americans. Truth be told, they make a good
product. To make the assumption that they contribute even a fraction
of what GM does because GM has a plant or two outside the USA is a
falsehood. I know that Gary Fischer was mostly asking a question
rather than making a statement, just trying to apply a fact or two.
I write this to you as a friend for information.<<< Thanks a million
Jeff. The world is continually getting more and more difficult to
understand. For instance, the staunch union man, willing to go out on
strike for the good of "his union". Yet hastens to shop at non-union
shops such as Wal-Mart, because they can sell stuff cheaper because they
not only do not have a union shop, they purchase much of their
merchandise from foreign countries that have absolutely no, or
miniscule, labor and environmental rules and regulations.
-----------------------
Dear Gary, Hi! My computer has been down for about 3 weeks and
now is working so I have a lot of catching up to do. The First thing
I checked was The Shivercity Gazette. Really enjoy it.Keep up the
good work. I would really appreciate it is you would get the
following upcoming event put on your Gazette a few times before the
15th. of April. Thanks alot. The Walsh County Historical Society
is having its 40th. Anniversary celebration on Sunday, April 15th. 2007,
at 3 P.M. at the Heritage Village. There will be a program with
thepast presidents speaking, a parade of nations and also other
entertainment. An Ethnic lunch will follow the program and every one
is welcome. There will be a free will offering. Come and enjoy
a fun afternoon.<<< Thanks a million Marian. I'm not sure what an
Ethnic lunch is. I hope Norwegians can eat it without it turning to
methane.
--------------------------
The American Legion Post 41 still must find funds to finance the
American Legion ball team.
One of this years goals, if sufficient funds allow, is to purchase
new jerseys, some of which are 11 years old. For the major part of the
past 60 years, Legionaires, the men and women of our community that put
their lives on the line so we could all play ball, have worked very hard
raising and contributing the money needed to support American Legion
Baseball.
Today, while most members of the post are flirting with the silver
anniversary of their birth. It might well behoove those of us with fewer
candles on our cake, and the energy and resources to help carry the
load. To do what we can to help the Legionaires support the Legion
baseball program.
To that end I am asking those of you willing to help maintain the
Grafton Baseball program, to consider making out a check (to Grafton
Baseball) for $20 for one ticket, $40 for two and if you send in your
check right away. You can purchase all 5 tickets for a mere $100.
Along with really helping the folks that have already really
helped us, you will be getting 23 weekday chances at $50 and 4 Saturday
chances at $100. The drawings will be held in the "merry" month of May.
You can send the checks to me:
Gary Moe 764 Birch Court, Grafton, ND 58237. If you prefer
your name not be mentioned in the Gazette, (some of us are bashful)
please say so and it's our little secret.
Thanks a million, JR Gaustad, Hod Hutson, Fred Stark, Jerry Raumin,
Frank McCann, Bruce Eikenberry, Harlan Thompson, Don Hutson and Kris
Molde for helping with the Legionaires cause.
-----------------------
My 'little' brother AK sent the following. >>> Gary, Rick at
Simonson Lumber would like to get the babble you send out. I would
also like to saythat Rick & his crewhave been taking care of all
my building needs for ever. Just the three in the office have over
ninety years in the company. (Simonsons Lumber Co.) that says a lot for
them & the company, and don't forget, the yard crew who have always been
there loading and unloading everything and delivering the materials were
ever they are needed. I think it would be wonderful if folks would stop
in and say hi, and, maybe thanks forbeing here.From AKan old
yard crew member.
<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing AK. At one time Grafton had
three lumber yards. Simonsons is the only one left.
++++
Welcome to the Gazette family Rick. Please feel free, from time to
time, to share a part of your world with us.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"If you don't tel me, I won't know. If I don't know, I can't tell
anyone else." That is also true with The Walsh County Record and KXPO
Radio too.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: