Thursday, February 08, 2007

February 8, 2007 -Thursday - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette goes out in the wonderful memories of Hildegard M.
Mattson
-----------------------
The current temperature is -4 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was -2/-23
Normal H/L temp for this date is 20/1
The normal average low temperature for the day is, finally, above 0
again.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance visible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
Most of the coffee shop conversations lately are centered around the
closing of Denny's Food Pride. The phrase, "I can't understand why?" has
been used alot. "Grafton needs another grocery store", has also been
heard often. Several folks are wondering, what's happened in the last
while that made Denny's want to close.
I suspect we may never, really, hear the right answers, certainly not
the answers we would want to hear. For want of a better, more accurate,
rational reason, I will resort back to simply saying. "Grafton is a
wonderful small town." We can either, "Use it, or lose it."
I've noticed, lately, that several stores in town are "promoting" a
photographer from God knows where. Evidently, "they" are not aware that
Grafton has three (3) top notch photographers operating out of
facilities that generate tax dollars for the community. Why?... Why
would a Grafton business establishment offer FREE advertising space in
their businesses to promote an out of town operation? I'll be darned if
I know. I do know one thing tho. That practice can only help "eliminate"
another home town business.
Or so it seems to me.
--------------------------
Ray Ingle sent the following about the Red Owl Store. >>> If my
memory serves me correctly, the RedOwl store was managed by someone
named Regelstad. I hope the spelling is close. Ray <<< Thanks for
caring and sharing Ray. I think you are right. I'm thinking it was Lewie
Regelstad. If not I'm sure someone will correct me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please forgive me if I should faulter some with the following message.
With a saddened heart, and mindful grievance, I must share the passing
of Hildegard Mattson.
Hilde arrived in the United States of America in 1960 as Mrs Allen
Mattson. Together they soon moved to Grafton and have continued to lived
hear since that time. Pat and I had the good fortune of meeting Hilde
shortly after she came to town. To say we shared innumerable good times
together, may even be an understatement.
We have always considered Hildegard Mueller Mattson a very special
person. For reasons beyond my understanding, I am finding the proper
words, words that can most appropriately describe Hilde, as we knew her,
and also, as others regarded her. I found myself, once again, depending
on my Webster Dictionary.
1. SPECIAL: distinctive or unique, exceptional and highly valued.
2. WONDERFUL: one that causes wonder, marvelous, excellent and fine.
3. LADY: a women who is polite and refined.
4. FRIEND: a person one knows well and is very fond of.
Hildegard Mattson was a very Special, Wonderful Lady that we are very
proud to call our friend.
We shall miss her dearly, and will never forget the special moments we
shared together.
It's true, some of us will need to work hard to earn our way to heaven.
In Hilde's case, that part came easy. She added a little more to her
dash, every day of her life. We extend our most sincere condolences to
Allen and his entire family.
====== Hildegard Mattson ======
Hildegard M. Mattson, age 70 of Grafton, ND passed away on Wednesday,
February 7, 2007 at her home in Grafton. Hildegard M. Mueller was born
June 13, 1936 in Schwaebisch Hall, Germany the daughter of the late
Ernst and Freda (Bauer) Mueller. She grew up and attended schools there.
Following her education she worked at an asbestos fabric plant in
Vellburg Germany. She married Allen Mattson on May 7, 1960 in
Schwaebisch Hall, Germany. The couple returned to the United States in
1960 and moved to Grafton in 1961. They have made their home in
Grafton since. Hildegard was a member of the Grafton Lutheran Church.
She is survived by her husband Allen of Grafton, ND; daughter Debbie
(Larry) Stoltman, Grand Forks, ND; son Steve (Elaine) Mattson, West
Fargo, ND; four grandchildren; three brothers and three sisters living
in Germany, sisters-in-law: Bertha Ann (George) Kasprick, Grand Forks,
ND; Ardis (Tony) Olson, Drayton, ND; Mardell (Dale) Niswonger, Warsaw,
ND; JoAnn Veum, Arcata, CA; brother-in-law: Maurel (Sylvia) Mattson,
West Fargo, ND. She was preceded in death by her parents, one brother
and four sisters.
Funeral services will be Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 10:00 A.M. at
the Grafton Lutheran Church, Grafton ,ND. Visitation will be Friday from
5-7 PM with a prayer service at 7:00 PM at the Tollefson Funeral Home of
Grafton. Friends may also call at the church on Saturday for one hour
prior to the service. Interment will be at the Grafton Lutheran
Cemetery.
The Tollefson Funeral Home of Grafton is in charge of the arrangements.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"If you don't tell me, I don't know. If I don't know, I can't tell
you." GLM
That's also true with the Walsh County Record, and, the local radio
station.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: