Wednesday, February 14, 2007

February 14, 2007 - Wednesday - Grafton, ND

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE
--------------------
The current temperature is -19 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was -5/-21
Normal H/L temp for this date is 22/3
It's not that cold out. Heck, I'm wearing the same jacket today as I
wore last summer. Only now, I'm wearing it inside.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
Judging by the number of cars in Denny's Food Pride Parking Lot
yesterday. You would almost think they were having a sale or something.
It just goes to show,... if you sell food cheap enough, some folks will
buy it anyway. Or so it seems to me.
-----------------------
That rumor about a welding shop in the former Heritage Sales and
Leasing building isn't a rumor any longer. According to Grafton's KXPO
Radio Station, it's a fact. There will be one.
------------------------
Billy DeSautel is home and doing fine. At least he's getting
ornery,.... so, that must mean he's getting well. Right Dee?
------------------------
We have much to learn, as a community, if we are to earn the respect
and confidence of the buying public. We are not along in that regard.
Every community does. Let us hope we can realize that before the others
do. And, prosper from that knowledge. I don't think I've kept the fact
that businesses that don't abide by their own business hours, irritate
me.
Wally sent the following note in that regard. >>> Hi Gary
Lessons Chris Anholt taught me. To be one minute late is as bad as a
half hour. I think about that every day.
He gave a lot of people credit during the depression. He looked
them in the eye, eye to eye. Then he asked them if they were going to
pay him. If they continued eye contact they got credit. If they looked
down or side ways they got no credit. He was a master on credit. It
worked every time. Gary,there was a, high stakes, gambling card room
in Grafton. Do you know where it was? Who ran it? I know who it was.
Who will be the first to win? Oh,... Grafton has lots of great
memories Wally <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Wally. It
will be interesting to see who can answer your Gambing room question.
Maybe we could offer them a ride thru the 125 year celebration parade
this summer on "Wally's Bull"?
-------------------------
Yesterday we mentioned the opening of the Hasting Landing Restaurant.
I'm sure we'll be hearing more about that operation in the near future.
All I did was mention it yesterday and Christine sent the following
note. >>> Gary Moe, you brought tears to my eyes!!!! Thank you so very
very much!!!! You are a true blessing in many lives!!! Christine <<<
Thanks a million Christine. It's the caring and sharing that makes the
world go round.
--------------------------
I thought long and hard before I decided to share the next one. Not
because I didn't believe it could, or, should be shared. Mainly because
it hits frightfully close to home. My home. Then I realized, if we truly
do want to improve our communities image, and, I truly believe we do.
The following thoughts are as valid as any. >>>
I read the Gazette a couple times and finally had to send this. If
you've had enough on the subject that's fine, read this and delete it or
do whatever you want with it. But if you choose to use some of what is
below, either all of it or just the last paragraph that's fine with me.
Later my fine friend!!!
Just a couple comments on the Gazette today. First, I think everyone
can sympathize with the person who said it's human nature to seek out a
deal. Everyone works hard for their money and wants to get as much as
they can in return. One needs to look no further than some of the
farmers in the area who purchase diesel fuel by tanker instead of
purchasing from the guy who'll come out and repair the tire on their
beet lifter in the middle of the night. Same with farm chemicals and
fertilizer. And those are big ticket items, not the average loaf of
bread or 1/2 gallon of milk most purchase.
Another person made a good point with the questioning of why some
businesses in Grafton try to sabotage others. I've wondered the same
thing, I see flowers, vegetable plants, and gardening supplies outside
several Grafton stores every spring. Do they really need to try put a
local business, one which celebrated it's 60th anniversary last summer,
out of business to survive themselves? Or is it that some of the
business owners talk the talk but don't walk the walk? I'm sure you're
proud your brother doesn't resort to things like that, and I know for a
fact he isn't selling milk, eggs, coffee, laundry detergent, and
household supplies at Grafton Floral because I purchase all of our
plants from him every year. Probably for a few cents more than I could
somewhere else, but principle shouldn't have a price tag put on it.
Also, a note said Grafton grocery stores have never "price gouged." My
belief is a business has the right to charge whatever they feel is a
fair price for their products. Conversely, consumers have the right to
either shop at those stores, or go somewhere they feel charges a
"fairer" price for goods they wish to purchase. I do a lot of grilling
in the summer, and a fair amount in the winter. I buy Ribeye and T- Bone
steaks exclusively at Kelly's Country Market right here in Drayton
priced at $7.99 to $8.99 per pound, depending on if they are on sale
that week or not. A quick look at the meat cases in Grafton would seem
to suggest that meat is considerably higher there than in Drayton. Yes,
Drayton, not Grand Forks. Yeah, small towns, use em or lose em.
Lastly, I'd also like to invite everyone to Drayton to eat at the newly
opened Cafe. Tracy and Christine are a great couple and an asset to the
Drayton business community. I've only heard two complaints about the
Cafe since they opened it, one is the serving portions are too generous,
the other complaint is the prices are too low. Other than that nothing
but great reports!! Come find out for yourself! <<< Thanks a million for
caring and sharing.
-----------------------
This note also, poses an interesting question. >>> Here is a
question that needs an answer if anyone is so inclined to do so. Why
with Denny's, Wally's, Simonson's, Cenex, Grafton Square, Kum and Go,
etc. would the GRAFTON Booster Club chose to go to Grand Forks to get
their candy for their concession stand for the upcoming tournament? I
have to wonder how many of these businesses are members of the boosters?
<<<<<< Well,... I'm not sure how many Grand Forks stores are members of
the Grafton Booster Club. I am sure someone knows, AND, maybe they would
be willing to share that with us. It might be such a thing that the
Grand Forks Store the candy is coming from has donated a significant
amount of time and money and it's been determined they "deserve" a
chance to make money as well. Small Town America, use em or lose em.
--------------------------
The following note was sent over from the subscription department. >>>>
Hi Gary: As always, thank you for the fine job you are
doing. We always enjoy anddon't miss reading the Gazette. It is
raining hard in Escondido, Ca. today. We are 3 inches behind in our
rainfall for the season, so this is very welcomed. Temperature today
is 64°. A little warmer then Grafton. My brother, Gene Gourde,
was just out to visit us and we were telling him about the famous
Gazette. He asked if he could join your large family and I told him I
would contact you. Hope all is going well in Grafton and everyone is
staying warm. Bye for now. Judy (Gourde) Smith <<< Thanks a
million for the note, weather report and your very kind words. Of course
we are pleased to welcome Gene to the Gazette family.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"I may not always like what you tell me. I will, however, always
appreciate it." GLM


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: