Thursday, February 22, 2007

February 22, 2007 - Thursday (evening) - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you by Julie Trapp. Close friend and room
mate of Ilze (Vitums) Sando.
----------------------
The current temperature is 12 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 38/9
Normal H/L temp for this date is 25/7
The weather should be just perfect for beating Fargo South Friday night
at 6:30
=================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance visible."
=================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
Today has been an especially pleasing day for me. Having the Spoilers
pull 5 points out of thin air while the magicians could only pull 2 out
of their hat, was one pleasantry, but more on that later.
Receiving, another, super message from from Bert Overland complete with
a wonderful invitation was another. I'll mention more on that later too.
Caring and sharing has been a major goal of the Gazette since it's
inception. Sharing ideas, emotions, and memories of those we know and
care for has given me gratification far beyond my imagination.
I am pleased to share the following note I received from Julie Trapp.
She wrote. >>> After reading my UND Alum Review Bulletin and seeing
that Ilze Vitums Sando died a few months ago, I googled her and found
this website. Ilze was my roommate at the Tri Delta house when we were
at UND. We were part of the Basement Broads (those handful of girls
relegated, by choice, to rooming in the basement). The one thing that I
remember most about Ilze (besides her fun loving, funny, smiley self) is
that because of her I knit left handed. I wanted to learn how so she
taught me. People, to this day, tell me I knit backwards, but I tell
them no, I learned from a leftie how to knit. My sympathies to her
family. (What adorable grandchildren she has.) <<< Again I am reminded
that our loved ones never really leave us. They simply take up residence
in another place.
--------------------------
The mention of TI Dahl generated the following correspondence between
George Cox and Kitty (Dahl) Garnett.
George wrote, Kitty, there is a story about your grandfather in
todays Shivercity Gazette - thought you might enjoy it. George To which
Kitty replied.
Thanks George...
It was interesting.
If you ever see anything about James J. Hill stopping by my great
grandparents (Dahl) farm North of town, I'd be interested in seeing it.
My dad used to tell me about it but I'd like to know more about it - -
It had something to do with right of way for the railroad. Giving George
reason to send the following.... Gary, I forwarded your ShiverCity
Gazette that talked about T J Dahl on to Kitty (Dahl) Garnett and she
wrote back the following question. Ever heard of the railway king James
J. Hill visiting the Dahl farm North of Grafton? <<< Wouldn't it be
wonderful if someone could answer Kitty's query?
----------------------
Bert wanted to share these memories. Subject: Grafton as I will
remember it.
Gary, Alot of us guys left Grafton at the start of the Korean war,
many never returning to Grafton other than a visit and thenas
relatives died off the visits grew further and furtherapart. But none
should ever forget the summer friday/saturday nights. All the stores
were open and full of shoppers, the sidewalks crowded with people whom
most knew each other. There were large Mexican farm labor groups,
familiesthat had returned for generations to work especially in the
beets. They were a welcome group andwould alsoroam the stores and
sidewalks doing their shopping. People would park their cars on the
street during the afternoon so they would have a good gossip spot to
meet other passerbys in the evening until long after the stores were
closed.
Then Joe Birkland would get the Parade band together to march up
the main street playing to let all know there would be a 30 to 45
minuteconcert. We would always then march, alwaysforming a circle
in front of the J. C. Penny storeThe smaller kids would rush up and
instead of us holding the music in the liar on our instruments we would
let them hold it for us, they considered it quite a privilege. We would
finally play "Now Is The Hour" and the concert was over.
As kids we could and did rove all over town with our bikes or on
foot, sometimes till after dark and our folks never had to worry. And I
remember the constant competition between the East side Kids and the
west siders especially through grade school. There was never any
destructive vandalism--even on halloween. We didn't know what drugs
were.Looking back I realize just how fortunate we all were with
ourchurches, good schools and very strict parents. I am proud to tell
people I came from a small town in North Dakota.
It would be fun to hear what othersremember about their growing
up in Grafton in the 30's-40's and 50's.
Bert A Overland <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Bert.
It certainly would be wonderful if others would care to share some of
their memories with the group.
--------------------
Did I mention that the Spoilers beat the magicians today 5 to 2?
++++
Wendy sent the following. >>> Of course its ALWAYS more fun to have the
home team score be it a little or ALOT higher then the others......did
anyone leak it to you that the Grafton-Park River hockey team has a Mr.
Hockey finalist and the state's leader scorer on it...he is Zach Miller
from MINTO....YEAAAA....a VERY nice guy belonging or claimed by John and
Dawn Miller....Zach is one of six boys who I have to say, "one is TRULY
nicer then the next"....GO SPOILERS!!!!! <<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Wendy. We couldn't have won the game
today, or any other day, for that matter, without the help of every
single member of the team. Just as any good race car driver will tell
you. They only drive the car. The folks that fix it, are the folks that
make it possible to win the race.
If we can only remember everything we've learned, on the ice, and, in
anger management class we'll win Friday night and play for the big
trophy on Saturday.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
I will do my best to get to Friday nights game at the Engelstad. I'll
have a super time, and, I now I will enjoy the game and the facilities.
Unfortunately, not quite as much as I did when Craig Perry would greet
me at the door and help me to my "special" seat.

No comments: