Sunday, February 18, 2007

February 18, 2007 - Sunday - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you with the benefits of, anger management
training.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 23 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 17/7
Normal H/L temp for this date is 24/5
The low temperature on this date in 1967 was, 35 degrees,.... below the
0.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Although there isn't any "visible" sign yet. Credible rumors have it,
that three (3) of Grafton's sailboat fuel storage facilities (empty
buildings) will soon have gainful activity in them.
Butch Gillespie's former Gillespie Meat Market will soon house a new
business, "insuring" it's future, on Main Street.
Carl Hvidsten's former Grafton Implement Co. building, will be
providing shelter for the folks planning to repair and rebuild farm
trucks and equipment.
Wally Johnson's former Johnson's Used Car dealership, will regain new
life as another used car dealership.
Graftons newest residents could be seen moving into the former Meyers
home at 1143 Dogwood yesterday.
-------------------------
While listing previous Grafton grocery stores the other day, Twila
reminded me of O'Conners Etcetera. Vally-Jo's predecessor on the south
end of town.
--------------------------
Tom Kutz sent the following response to Paul DeSautels question about
Henry Bernards old car. Tom wrote: >>> Gary,
Henry Bernard's 1903 Olds ran last August in the New London, MNto
New Brighton, MNantique auto race. An annual rally that is about
100 miles in length. There was a big article about the car in the
paper. I also have 8mm movies ofthe carin past Grafton Day
parades. And yes, it spent many years in the city hall basement.
Pretty good for a single cylinder over 100 years old! <<< Thanks a
million Tom. I suppose it would be asking to much to get that car here
for the 125 year celebration this June. Or would it?
--------------------------
Rats!!! Did I mention I didn't win the drawing for the UND Fighting
Sioux Special Edition Motorcycle? Well,... I didn't. Neither did anyone
I know.
---------------------------
Lee Bratlie went fishing this weekend. When he returned he sent the
following note. >>> Subject: Ice fishing
My 11 year old son and I went ice fishing Saturday after attending
the UND hockey game Friday night. We left about noon with the intentions
of sleeping in mypermanent house at Long Point Saturday night and
fishing Sunday.We got up there about 3:30, drilled holes and got the
stove going, then drove to Rocky Point for supper.
When we got there the place was packed, and the hostess asked if I
had reservations. I didn't, so I told her I didn't have a reservation,
but was "good friends" with Gary Moe. She gave me a funny look and told
me to follow her. "Would this table be OK?" she asked, and I assured her
it would be. I figured they must save a few good tables for unexpected
arrivals who have connections. She told me our waitress would be "right
there", and she was. A young lady by the name of Amanda I believe, and a
top notch waitress she was. She helped my son look over the menu and he
finally decided on the chicken strip dinner, andI ordered a hamburger
basket.
Our waitressmade us feel like we were the only people in the
place even though it was full to capacity, and I was thanking my lucky
stars I knew you. She kept our drinks full and checked on us several
times beforeshe brought out our food.Derek's chicken stripswere
the best he's ever had according to him, and my burger and fries were
done to perfection. Another side benefit of "knowing somebody" I told
myself as I (barely) finished the largeburger and fries.
After Ipaid for the meal I asked the hostess "how long she had
known Gary Moe", and she got that funny look on her face again and said
"Gary Moe, never heard of him before." So I wonder what kind of service
a person could expect if they actually did know somebody? HA HA!!
I might have embellished the story somewhat, but besides the part
about saying I knew you everything else is the way it was. A great
waitress and a great meal. Fishing was good also, we came back with
"close" to our limit. Yeah, I know, close only counts in horseshoes and
hand grenades, but Derek and I sure had a great time! And I see you made
the Rocky Point Ripple, if you weren't so damn modest I would have heard
about that before!!! <<< Thanks a million Lee. I'm not surprised Amanda
didn't remember me, I don't remember her either. However, I certainly do
remember the food at the Rock Harbor Lodge. Every day I look forward to
the day I can return to Arnesens Rocky Point.
------------------------
SPORTS -- of -- SORTS
The hockey game Saturday afternoon between the Spoilers and the
Spartans. The final score was 7 to 0. The first goal of the game was
scored by Oakwoods Chad Demers followed by Graftons Tanner Hills with
Graftons Todd Presteng hardly giving the Spartans goalie time to spit.
Then Park Rivers Chris Midgarden finished the flurry of 4 goals in less
than 1˝ minutes.
The second period slowed down some with Oakwoods Chad Demers stuffing
in Graftons fifth point, and Park Rivers Cody Boyle slapping in the
sixth.
The third period only recoded one goal. That coming from Graftons Tom
McCann.
We were eating dinner at MarketPlace when the game started. I guess,
they didn't want the radio to bother anyone so I didn't hear the first
period. However, we were able to catch the last two periods on the car
radio.
ANYWAY, the Grafton-Park River Spoilers did win, and, will be playing
in the State tournament starting Thursday. Two of "our" players were
picked for the all-East Region team also. Forewards, Zach Miller from
Minto and Tanner Hills from Grafton.
The East Region Coach of the year. --- "The Spoilers coach Jay
Haugland."
CONGRATULATIONS to Graftons Mike Sands, our Goalie and to the entire
Grafton-Park River Hockey organization.
Although it's often true that only a few individuals are singled out
for recognition. The real fact is. Without every single member of the
team, working together as a team. The team couldn't win.
"So when the celebration begins, remember those that made it possible
for those that played the best, and, to play the most." Or so it seems
to me.
-------------------------
It's always fun to get the first note back from a member of the Gazette
family. It's especially fun, when that first note is like that sent by
Rosalie (Punk Peterka) Murphy. She wrote. Hi Gary,
I've sure been enjoying the Shivercity Gazette; Diane Molde Urbauer
sent my name in to you. I've been telling my family about it and now, my
brother-in-law, J. D. Miller --from Minto (lives in Mesa in winter)
would like his name on your list. Is there a subscription fee?
Thanks, Rosalie (Punk) Murphy <<< Thanks a million for caring and
sharing. Of course there isn't a charge for the Gazette, although,
sometimes I think even that's to much.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: