Tuesday, February 13, 2007

February 13, 2007 - Tuesday - Grafton, ND

The current temperature is -10 degrees. Yesterdays H/L temperature
was -1/-15
Normal H/L temp for this date is 22/3
Temperature by the end of the week could be in the upper 20's.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
I don't have any specific information at this point,
however, it's my understanding that there will be folks in some part of
the former Heritage Ford Chrysler building that will be able to do
welding and repairs of some sort.
------------------------
The only way we can expect to improve our community is to address
the issues that are causing folks to go elsewhere. To do that, first we
must know what those issues are, and, make a commitment to resolve them.
One member wrote:
Gary - I agree 100% with the letter that stated - "I have
been reading your comments about using the business in our local
community but I do think there is another side to the coin here that the
business community needs to consider." I admit, I have driven to Grand
Forks to grocery shop for the simple fact that I can spend the same
amount there and get just about twice as much as I can here. I work hard
for my money and now with a son, I find getting more for my money is
more important than ever. Wally's does provide some good specials now
and then and as a resident I appreciate that so much! It's a hard topic.
I enjoy living in Grafton. I have nothing against the local businesses.
The topic of customer service has come up several times and it seems to
be a valid issue as well. It's human nature to want to shop somewhere
that acknowledges your presence and is at least semi-happy to see you
there. I'd like to see lower prices in our stores, sure! I'm human!
However, I am not going to withhold my name simply because Ioccasionally choose outside sources for my shopping. I shop a little bit
here.. a little bit there and guilt is just not an issue.
Thanks Gary! As always thank you for such a great source of information!
:)
++++
As a Grafton resident, the person who wrote about the
business going out of town had some good points. To him, I might say...
did you let the car dealership know what happened? How do they send you
a survey if they don't have your name? How do they make it right when
they don't know they have wronged you? Also, the survey is added
expense that many may not be able to afford... even though they would
like to. There are businesses in this town sabotaging other
businesses... why is that? Why don't they all work together? These days
it is really easy to drive south. Many people are passing by GF and
going right to Fargo. When we have many people from town shopping in the
bigger cities, local profit margins need to go up to support the
business because the quantity isn't there. How can this viscous cycle be
broken? I know some business owners do try price matching their
competitors. 90% of the time it may even be successful. Of course, that
practice can often eliminate the profit margin resulting in the closing
of yet another business.
I want to see Grafton survive and thrive. Any suggestions as
to how to improve these issues? <<<< Both of the previous notes came to
me signed. I have taken the liberty of removing the names for two basic
reasons. First to eliminate any possible retaliation, and most
importantly, with the hope that more individuals will "help our
community, help itself".
++++
This one is self explanatory.
Not sure just what the point the writer talking about "our" grocery
stores need to try harder was. As for me, I spend a lot of time in GFK
with my work, and with that work I do a lot of comparison shopping, not
only Grafton to Grand Forks, but GFK to Fargo, etc. I know this; "our"
grocery stores have never "gouged" us. When you consider either that
they are independents and/or serving a much smaller market I couldn't be
more satisfied with the prices they charge us. It is true that now that
Wal-Mart and Target are taking after one another, and both taking after
Hugo's there are some good buys in GFK. If you don't consider the price
of gas, and not forgetting one thing on the list so you don't have
another 80-90 mile round trip because you ran short of meat this week.
It reminds me of those who compare the price of gas to GFK. First, they
don't consider how much it costs to get that gas to Grafton. Second,
they never talk about the unique situation with GFK gas market. There is
a reason that GFK has been the 2nd cheapest place to buy gas in all of
the U.S. over the last several weeks. AND it has nothing to do with our
local gas stations gouging us. By the way, I doubt there are many
businesses in Grafton worrying about an increase in the minimum wage.
Most jobs are paying well above $5.15 an hour. I am in Grand Forks
nearly every day M-F. I still buy just about all my groceries, gas,
cars, clothes, etc. in Grafton. Nearly means 90 plus percent. More than
most people with a Grafton address, I could justify doing nearly all of
my shopping in GFK. Instead: Thanks for paying your property taxes in
Grafton Wally, Denny, Dave, Brad, Mary, Rita, Andrew, etc., etc. Thanks
for the extra support you give to the local sports teams, speech teams,
etc. Thanks for making this a community, not just a market. p.s. if you
use this sign me "anonymous".
<<<< And, as per request. That is the thoughts of a person wishing
to be kept anonymous. And so it goes.
-----------------------
Small Town America, "use it, or lose it." I truly believe we
should all make a concerted effort to spend our money as close to "home"
as possible. Home, for me, is the Grafton area. Home for me is Grafton,
Drayton, Minto, Park River, St. Thomas, Edinburg, Cavalier, Stephen,
Alvarado, Kennedy, Hallock, Pembina and every business within that area.
Yes,... even Grand Forks.
To that end, I am very pleased to share the following message from
a long time friend Christine Jensen. I must admit, so far at least, I
haven't had the chance to eat at the "new" Hastings Landing. I can tell
you that I have known Christine and her family for a great number of
years. And, if she say's it's a good place to eat, it's a good place to
eat. Christine wrote. >>>>
Hi Gary, thank you for the Gazette, I continue to read it every
chance I get. Every rural town should have an advocate like you. I was
wondering if there would be a chance you could mention something in the
Gazette for me. My husband and I recently opened Hastings Landing
Restaurant in Drayton. Our opening day was Feb. 1. We have had so much
encouragement and support from the community and we really appreciate
it. When we are working long hours to try and make the restaurant work,
that encouragement has become our energy. We are open 6 am. to 10 p.m.
Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundays for now. We offer a
full menu and people have really been talking about our ribs which are
made with Papa Lou's BBQ sauce (named after my father). My husband makes
the sauce. People from Grafton may be familiar with it as we used to
sell it at Wally's. Hopefully we will be selling it again soon. Thank
you for your time and consideration Gary, you are an incredible person
and a real advocate for small town America. Blessings always, Christine
Jensen P.S. I know you like to keep people in Grafton but my father
always taught me if you don't ask, you'll never know. Thank you. <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Christine. Drayton, and, every
small town needs a good family restaurant. I strongly encourage
"everyone" in our area, to shop in our area. And, as usual Christine,
your father was right,.... and it worked.
Our best wishes to you and Tracy in your new venture. You may also
find that the harder you work, the luckier you will get.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: