Tuesday, February 20, 2007

February 20, 2007 - Tuesday - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you by all the wonderful people in the
Grafton area law enforcement group.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 15 degrees. Yesterdays H/L temperature
was 28/9
Normal H/L temp for this date is 24/6
The weather person says, by the end of the week, we can expect one of
the biggest winter storms of the season.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance visible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
It's always enjoyable receiving word that in some small way, "we"
sometimes can make a difference. Erick sent the following note. >>> Hey
Gary,
Just wanted to let you know that the response from having my
business in your Gazette has been great. Local people
and businesses have been finding out just how much money we can save
them here on Alltel cellular, office supplies, furniture, and machines;
and advertising. We are going to have our "Grand Opening" starting
next week and running into the end of March. We will be giving away
one Leather Office Chair and a One Custom Built Computer System. All
you have to do, starting Monday is register at 20 E 12th st (between
Red's and Mac's). Thanks Again Erick Soltvedt Spectrum
Services & Dist. LLC. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Erick.
And, thanks for picking Grafton to open your new business.
--------------------------
I suspect, from time to time, several important people have enhanced
our midst. Some important politicians, and, some that thought they were
important politicians. From famous athletes, the likes of "Happy"
Chandler to folks that made athletes look good, like Harris Holiday.
Over the years, I've even heard "stories" of some, less than desirable,
individuals traversing our country. Such as the 'brigand' Loretta
mentions in the latest note she shares with us. She wrote: >>>
Gary:
I don't know if Bert Overlund knew anything or heard anything about a
fellow by the name of "Baby-face Nelson" - who supposedly was connected
in some way to Al Capone. -- I know I heard --- many, many times -- in
Edinburg (where I grew up) that he would come to Edinburg from time to
time and played cards and whatever in the bar(s) there. Supposedly - he
had relatives in the area - but I'm not sure who they were or where they
lived. Maybe someone else remembers this? <<< Thanks a million for
caring and sharing Loretta. It would be fun hearing "the rest of the
story" if someone out there knows. I'm 'almost' certain the Leroy and
Rodney Nelson I know in Grafton, are not related,.... closely anyway.
And, I'm still waiting for Bruce Jackson to answer the question about
the Chicago Gambler.
-----------------------
Often I have mentioned my sincere appreciation for the members of "our"
Law Enforcement organization. I'll never forget the night Ed Hooey, in
pitch darkness, ran across our back yard in pursuit of a low down
scoundrel, and, how he staved off a very possible, dastardly deed to my
family and our property. I remember the night I watched my, future,
Father-in-Law, behind the Ben Sell's bar, grab two degenerates by the
neck. One in each hand and march them down the street to the jail in
city hall. I remember both Arnold Narveson and Bill Janousek giving me a
"break" when they really didn't have to.
AND, I am very pleased that Keith Mohagen, remembered, and cared to
share the following memory with us. >>>
Subject: The Good Old Days
Gary,
I enjoy your letters about the good old days, andBerquams card parlor
came to mind. It was next to the Old Main Bar, and across the street
from Stan's Cafe where we had to wait for the Grand Forks Herald to come
in by Greyhound every day. If the bus was late or we were early we would
go across the street and "shoot a few" on one of his pool tables or
the 9 ft. Snooker table.The only other carriers I remember were Don
Kearny'sfour kids, Shirley, David, Donnie, and Beverly sharing their
loads to deliver the Herald. It was at a time when the non-whites
(Indians and Mexicans) were finally allowed to drink in bars and there
were frequent knife fights at the rear of the Main Bar. It was there
that I saw about 5 - 6 individuals engaged in a knife fight when
Graftonsfinest arrived in fine fashion. I will never forget seeing
Orville Olson and Ray Demester wadeinto the center of the fight with
their batons and handcuffs; and handled to conclusion. I still believe
that this was amajor determining factor in the mind of a 10year
old boy to follow a career inlaw enforcement. thanks - Keith
<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Keith. I certainly believe
it is quite possible that watching Orville and Ray consummate their
profession, for the benefit of the community. You found gratitude and
solace in a like profession. I must add, that my observations of Ray,
ultimately my Father-in-Law, gave me more than sufficient reason to
treat his daughter with the utmost respect.
Keiths note gives me yet another reason to believe. Those we love and
care for, never really leave us.... They simply change their residence
--------------------------
I am pleased to welcome Don and Nancy Gordon to the Gazette family.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
Remember the "good old days", when there were only 8 million stories?
I'll bet there's a lot more now.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: