Thursday, February 15, 2007

February 15, 2007 - Thursday - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you, in part, by -----==== The MARKETEER
----------------------
The current temperature is -11 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was -5/-21
Normal H/L temp for this date is 22/3
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
The shelves in Denny's Food Pride are starting to look alot like the
shelves do the day before Christmas at the Pamida store.
-----------------------
Speaking of Pamida and good things that can happen in Grafton. >>> Hi
Gary... With all the talk about local businesses, I would like
to share a story about our local Pamida. I was in Pamida last week and
was at the checkout paying for my purchases. The lady ahead of me had 3
movies/DVD's she was putting on layaway. She was so happy that Pamida
lets her do that because she got to purchase a movie for each of her
grandchildren at the sale price (did you know Pamida gives you $3.00 off
every new release you purchase on it's arrival date to the store?). I
didn't know that until last week, so needless to say I purchased 2 new
releases. Also, do Target or Wal-Mart layaway? I don't know, but I do
know Pamida does! When price comparing with GF, Pamida was then $3.00
less - without the discount, they were the SAME price as Target.
Interesting,.... I think.
I have often looked at the sale ads of our competitors to the south
and have gone back to our store to see how much less they were than us,
only to realize they aren't. Many people don't know that! Some people
automatically assume we will be higher since we are a small store. One
customer couldn't believe her estimate total when I called her. She kept
saying "are you sure?" and, I checked and rechecked because she was
worrying me that I had figured wrong or something. I was sure and we
came in $1500.00 under GF!!!! This is without negotiation, I might add!!
It seems some stores like to charge for the name brand, but not us. We
charge on value. We pride ourselves in great service with a smile. We
are proud to be a business owner in a small town. Although sometimes
difficult, it is also very rewarding. I think for the most part, other
Grafton business owners feel the same way. At least I hope so. Thanks
for all your words of encourage to our local communities on keeping the
shopping local! (You can use our names if you wish) Brad & Denise Moe.
<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing. Not always, but very often,
not being able to find what you need in a small town is little more than
an excuse to go for a nice long drive. So,.. why not just take the nice
long ride,.. and, then come back home and do your shopping.
-----------------------
ANOTHER NEW BUSINESS has opened it's doors in Grafton. Erick sent us
the following, in the regard. >>> Gary,
My name is Erick
Soltvedt and I have just started a business in Grafton called Spectrum
Services & Dist. LLC. We are an Alltel Wireless Agent located in between
Mac's and Red's. Besides Cell phones and plans, we also offer office
supplies, machines, and furniture.
When talking about small
towns and price, one would be surprised to find we are up to 35% cheaper
on our office supplies, furniture and equipment than Office Max and 20%
cheaper than Quill (mail order), plus we offer free delivery on orders
over $25. We don't stock everything same day as that would be impossible
(Over 25,000 plus items), but everything is guaranteed same or next day
delivery, if ordered before 2:30 P.M. In a small town or a group of
small towns, we know that service is key and we hope to offer that
exceptional level of service.
Our other venture is the
"The Marketeer". It is a localshopper/classifieds paper geared strictly
towards cheap effective advertising in the small towns north of Grand
Forks, N/S between Hwy 2 and Canada, and E/W between Adams ND and Hwy 75
in Minnesota. We offer no Grand Forks businesses advertising, unless
they have multiple locations (such as Grafton/Grand Forks/Kittson County
Equipment).
We print our shopper
paper locally with Morgan Printing. We bought all of our paint for the
offices from True Value. I will even advertise with other local
publications, and not just my own. My whole point is there is a lot to
offer in the small towns north of Grand Forks and we try to offer
businesses cheaper means of products and advertising to cut down on
their bottom line so they can be even more competitive.
I live in Oslo, and
although we have Dahlstroms and have had Landowski's. I have seen the
town of Oslo lose several businesses. If you don't use it, you lose
it...but unfortunately a lot of people don't appreciate it until it's
gone.
My wife owns the Café
in Minto and has seen business decline over the past 5 years....some of
it economy, some of it mandatory price increases, some of it the
"smoking ban".....so she has cut back hours. The one thing she notices
is that the only people that complain about the cutback in hours, are
the people that never come in to do business anyway.
Thanks Gary for raising
awareness about these issues. <<<< Thanks for caring and sharing Eric.
Welcome to Grafton. We wish you the very best in your new venture.
-------------------------
Marcia sent the following. >>>
Hi Gary
Happy Valentines Day to you and Patti.
Today is another day that brings back great memories of my parents. My
dad use to deliver flowers for Grafton Floral and I remember sitting at
the kitchen table watching out the window because my dad's last stop was
at 620 Prospect and he would walk up to the door and ring the door bell,
my mom would answer it and my dad would say, "this is my last delivery I
saved the best for last". I remember my mom smiling and saying "thank
you". Memories are great Marcia Molde Seeba <<< Thanks a million Marcia.
Memories are wonderful, especially memories of wonderful people like
Mildred and Bennie Molde.
------------------------
Wally's "original challenge" was ---- Gary,there was a high stakes
gambling card room in Grafton. Where was it? Who ran it? I know who it
was. Who will be the first to win? <<< Ole Aasand called from the sunny
south and said he thought the man was "Poker John" and, the place was
Bergquam's Pool Room. He also said if the prize was 200 pounds of steak,
I could bring it down to him. And, that Wally would pay the freight.
P.S. Ole,... Mrs. Bergquam did operate a rooming house above the
poolroom and saloon.
++++
Jan Burns shared the next note. >>>
Hi Gary: Regarding the note from Wally about the high stakes
gambling that used to occur in Grafton, I worked for Bill Depuy while I
was in high school and again several years later. I remember gambling
being mentioned occasionally and I am wondering if it was held in his
law offices which were above the former Walsh County Bank. He was a
wonderful human man and I have never met anyone I respected more.
Your Shivercity Gazette continues to be a highlight of my days.
Blessings to you, Jan Burns <<< Thanks a million Jan. I gotta think your
assessment is pretty close.
------------------------
Then, a person named Anonymous sent this note. >>> Nice updates on the
hockey team, but what about the girls and boys basketball team. Those
boys and girls deserve the same acknowledgement as the hockey players.
<<< Of course, I couldn't agree more. I would even be willing to discuss
the probabilities & possibilities.
-------------------------
We are pleased to welcome Jerry and Delores Daley and Jerry Unruh to
the Gazette family.
------------------------
I am looking forward to sharing a heartwarming message from Kathy
Larson and, Cynthia's emergency cell phone message in a future Gazette.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: