Tuesday, December 19, 2006

December 19, 2006 - Tuesday

Todays Gazette is brought to you by the Johnson Garage, north of
Central Lumber.
K. P. Johnson and Lee Graton
-----------------------
The current temperature is 29 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 31/5
Normal H/L temp for this date is 19/1
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
--------------------------
Well,.. it's finally happened. The Sand Ranchers have pushed the folks
at Grafton Square to the breaking point. At least that's what it looks
like when you drive by. This morning there is a large "well drilling"
truck out front of the Grafton Square, drilling like they know there's
something down there. I can't imagine what they'll charge for gas, if
they actually find it down there. I suspect it will be something less
than the $2.24 they get for it now.
On the other hand,.. maybe they're just looking for a new supply of
sailboat fuel.
----------------------------
I don't suppose a deer running around the country is news,... in a big
town, but It sure is here. Here's the deer story, as I know it today. It
was first spotted in Elaine and Richard Thompsons back yard. Richard
took a picture if it laying under one of their evergreen trees. (So I
guess, in case of future litigation. The doe, - pardon the pun - belongs
to Richard.) Anyway, the next thing I know, I received the following
note from Rose Wendelbo. She wrote. >>> I heard a rumor about a deer
going thru the window at Tollefsons Funeral Home. I guess he (the
deer) wanted a going out parade. <<<
Then a few hours later. I received the following note. Giving the
whole ordeal even more credibility. Wally wrote. >>>
O.K. big boy. And now the rest of the deer story.
The deer ran west down 12th street and THROUGH the east door of
Tollefsons Funeral Home. Not for a visit,..... but a rest. Call Mike
Such for details. Wally <<< Okay, along with the phone call from our
son Jeff, telling us he observed the critter heading west, AND, our
mayor telling me he too seen the same thing. That,... is almost all the
information I need to believe the story actually does have a bit of
credibility to it. Then, the clincher. The final nail in the coffin, so
to speak. (once again, please pardon the pun)
I received the following note from Beverly, who, as it turns out, is
actually gainfully employed in the area compound we refer to as the
county court house and Walsh County Law Enforcement Center. She wrote.
>>> Hi Gary,
The deer that was seen running down main street was probably the same
deer that ran out the door after she had broken through a window at
Tollefson's Funeral Home. Apparently, Bambi or "Jane Doe" was there to
visit a loved one "lost" during the recent hunting season. If I hadn't
seen the pictures at the Law Enforcement Center on Monday, I never would
have believed it. When the deer crashed through the window, she cut her
nose and, yes, she is now a red-nosed reindeer.
Bev <<< And there you have it. Everything thing I know about the
sighting of the ruminant creature later identified as a deer named Jane
Doe.
---------------------------
Speaking of sightings, Denise Sevigny sent this reminder worth
following up on. She wrote. >>> Gary:
If you drive by the house immediately east of Our' Saviour's parking
lot, you might see an interesting person in the "front" window. Also, if
you drive down 5th street, on the corner of 5th and McHugh, you will see
a nativity scene made completely out of snow.
Have a nice day. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Denise.
The nativity scene is in front of the Kerian home on 5th. They did a
super job on it too.
-------------------------
The Tollacks Furniture store building is still creating a lot of
interest. Norman sent the following. >>> Hi Gary,
I wonder if you or anyone else remembers the stuffed Timber Wolf that
was on display in the window of Tollacks around 1950. It was gigantic. I
never knew that it was possible to find a wolf of that size. Maybe
it is still owned by someone around Grafton. I hope someone remembers it
and possibly knows how big it was or anything about the history of it.
Norm Paulson
Maple Grove, MN <<< Thanks a million Norm. It may just be my
imagination, but somehow I think I remember that wolf in the window.
Wouldn't be fantastic, if someone could shed more light on it?
--------------------------
It's always wonderful sharing wonderful things about small towns. Such
is the case with this note from Denise Moe.
She wrote. >>> Gary, Just thought I would share a story about shopping
in a small town. Today, I went to Pamida to purchase something that was
on sale Friday. (I had purchased two on Friday). I needed a third one
because we have 3 kids and only had purchased 2, which did not go over
well. Anyway, the gal at the counter remembered that I was in and
purchased 2 (scooters) and she knew who I was because we had just
finished some flooring work at the store. She OFFERED me the sale price.
She wished me a Merry Christmas - three times- and supplied service with
a smile. This is one of the reasons that I enjoy shopping in town so
much! Did you know that our local Pamida also "price matches" as do many
other businesses in town (ours included)? Why would someone want to
travel when the same or better service is available right here? Just
thought I would share my experience because this time of year, many
people are looking at the ads in the GF Herald to see what items are on
sale in GF or Fargo. Why not try here first? Or bring the ad in.... if
they don't have it, maybe they can get it. Merry Christmas! Shop
locally! <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Denise. Many folks
make an effort to shop locally. Unfortunately,... many do not. Which, is
the reason I have always subscribed to the following quote.
"The cost of living in a small town is in direct proportion to the
amount of spending it's residents "invest" in it."
---------------------------
Have I mentioned it won't be long before the 2007 Grafton Area
Volunteer Firefighters will be holding their $11,520 (in cash) annual
Calendar draw? If not, I will be really soon. I wonder if I mentioned
that the tickets are only $20 each, AND, if you purchase 5 tickets all
at one time, you can get them for only $100 AND then S&H is absolutely
free. Did I mention I still have a pile of tickets for that event? Gosh
I certainly hope so.
---------------------------
It hardly seems like yesterday, although in reality, more than
536,500,906 have ticked off my Timex. It hardly seems 6,209 days ago
today, that Phil Collins was wailing out his hit tune "Another Day in
Paradise" while our granddaughter, Krystal Brittney Moe, was wailing
from her very first spanking.
Fortunately, after 13 grandchildren and one great grandchild, we have
come to realize that time, in fact is relative. And, we love every
single one of them.
Happy Birthday Krystal Brittney Moe.
We love you very much.
Grandma & Grandpa Moe
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: