Thursday, December 14, 2006

December 14, 2006 - Thursday

===== REALLY EARLY EDITION =====
----------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you, in part and parting, by our very good
friends,
=== Herbert and Orpha Bertsch. ===
----------------------
The current temperature is 28 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 32/25
Normal H/L temp for this date is 21/3
There isn't a snowman left in town with big enough ears to hold their
hat on. If this warming trend continues. Snowblowers will soon be a glut
on the market.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
The neat little community tucked in around hiway 81, a mere ten minute
drive north of Grand Forks, started it's life named Kimball. However, to
eliminate duplication, it's name was changed to Clair, and, ultimately,
in 1882, it became Ardoch by way of the suggestion of John Stevenson.
That same year, the Ardoch Monitor, a weekly paper was started, and
later it's name too was changed, to the Standard. It would seem as
though names were a hard thing to hold on to in the early days of
Ardoch.
Mrs. Alice Heffern Cayley was reared, (born and raised) in Ardoch.
-------------------------
It doesn't look like many folks can remember much about the former main
street Tollacks Furniture Store building. I did receive this one. >>>
Roger Davis had his TV repair shop in the Tollack building. There was
also another family who had a furniture store there (back in the 60s I
think.) They moved here and then moved on.
Ralph Kingsbury <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Ralph. I
gotta believe someone in our midst can add more information than that.
Like maybe Vernon Russum, Jerry French, Jack Elshaug, Sharon Martens or
Judy (Anderson, Johnson) Keizer to mention just a few.
---------------------------
Some may find it hard to believe, certainly I do. However, out there
somewhere is one of the worlds lowest forms of life. --- Several days
ago, when someone, or more, stole Goofy (3 of them) from the magnificent
display in Leistikow Park. I thought that might be the lowest feat, so
far this festive season anyway. Eventually though, Goofy (one of them)
was found and returned to his rightful place in the park display. And,
for a few days, I thought life and living in our small town in the
valley was good.
Then, I understand some scoundrel had the audacity to chop the top off
of one of Tim DeSautels brand spankin, newly planted, evergreen trees.
Yup, right in his very own back yard, they did.
Somehow I struggle with the thought of a person sitting around a stolen
Christmas tree, singing Christmas Carols and wishing loved ones "Merry
Christmas." I understand there is a bounty on the scoundrels head, if
he is taken in alive. If he's not,... oh well. Merry Christmas to
everyone,... except that bum.
-----------------------
The other day I made mention of Diabetes. I happen to be a diabetic, in
good standing, I might add. If I behave myself, I can do pretty well. If
not, a meter reading above 200 plus makes me very humble, very fast.
Anyway, my comment containing sugar stems from the fact that for more
than 36 years I worked (tho some might argue differently) in the sugar
business. At any rate, I received the following comments to that
inference. >>> Gary -
I love receiving the Shivercity Gazette and enjoy reading the
information that it has. With that said, I was a bit disheartened by the
diabetes comment. Although some of what you said could be true in some
cases, there are various medical reasons for it as well.
Certain medicines;
pregnancy (gestational diabetes); and
any illness or disease that damages the pancreas and affects its ability
to produce insulin e.g. pancreatitis.
Drugs such as steroids, Dilantin, and others may elevate the blood sugar
through a variety of mechanisms. Certain other drugs, such as alloxan,
streptozocin, and thiazide diuretics, are toxic to the beta cells of the
pancreas and can cause diabetes. Certain syndromes (for example,
Prader-Willi, Down's, Progeria, and Turner's) may result in a
hyperglycemic state; if this state is prolonged, the result can be
permanent diabetes.
When I lived in South Dakota, I worked with many special needs children
who suffered with Diabetes simply because of their syndrome.
I just thought these additional facts on diabetes should be notated.
Thank you!
Nanci <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Nanci. For awhile I
thought I was dealing with a malady I caused because I sat to much,
while eating too much. Now I wonder if I haven't been suffering from
one, or more, of the "other" conditions you mention. I do remember
handling "Beta" beet seed, I sure hope that wasn't the culprit. As for
the "gestational diabetes" thing. Although I might look like it, I have
ever actually conceived anything. ANYWAY, I did spend some time thinking
about the following Quote which you included with your note.
"Sometimes you have to leap and construct your wings on the way down"
Then again,... with my luck, I'd forget to bring the dad-burn glue,
or, the feathers when I left the plane.
--------------------------
It seems I was able to "jog" Lee's memory again. That's always a
challenge.
He wrote. >>> I forgot I sent you that note, but apparently you didn't.
Glad to share it with you then, and glad you shared it with others again
today. There is so much we take for granted in life. Have you ever
thought what we'd do differently today if we knew we would die tomorrow?
The saying "live today like there is no tomorrow" is a catchy, cute
saying, but how many can actually do that? If I knew I was going to die
tomorrow I sure wouldn't be here doing what I'm doing today, but I can't
realistically stay home and do the things I'd do if I knew I was going
to die tomorrow either. What if I didn't? And I'm not making light of
the situation either so don't think that, but it is a dilemma. How do
you balance it all? Family, friends, work, responsibilities, and the
list goes on and on. About the only thing we can do is realize how lucky
we are to be alive today and make the most of it. Work on our dash, like
you say.
And I'll say again today like I did when I first sent you that note, I'm
DAMN PROUD (I don't think I said "darn" the first note either HA!) of
you for realizing it before it was too late. And also DAMN PROUD to
count you as a friend. <<< There just isn't any better folks than sugar
tramps. I am blessed to have worked with the best of the best. If they
were a chorus, Lee would certainly qualify as their maestro. And, I am
proud to be able to call him my friend as well.
-----------------------
Thanks a million Mary, for your check for the Firefighters Drawings.
I'll have a ticket for you, Tom and Millie with me Saturday morning at
Granny's.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"Only by the exchange of information and ideas can we conquer ignorance
in this world." GLM So too, is it with ignorance in the Gazette. Or so
it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: