Wednesday, December 13, 2006

December 13, 2006 - Wednesday

Todays Gazette is brought to you in part, by the super little town of
Clair, ND
-------------------------
The current temperature is 34 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 32/25
Normal H/L temp for this date is 21/3
Maybe there is something to this temperature warming theory. If our
above normal temperatures continue. Folks from northern Manitoba will
only have to come to northern North Dakota,... to spend the winter.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
Tis the season to be jolly, faa la la la la, la la and frustrated too.
If,.. by chance, the folks at "our" local Chamber office is looking for
something to do. A good spirited, well meaning, walk around "our" local
business establishments could reap significant benefit. Not only for
those business establishments, but for the people those entities require
to stay in business. (their customers)
For instance. Yesterday Pat and I were in a local business, I won't
mention the name, for the purposes of this discussion, it isn't
important. Besides, I doubt the folks at Alco would want me to.
Anyway. We were standing in line, waiting to check out,.. and waiting
to check out,... and waiting to check out. I noticed that there were
only two ladies manning (pardon the pun) the cash registers. Both lines
seemed to continue to grow with each passing minute. I couldn't see any
indication of anyone making an effort to "bring more cashiers" to the
front, and the lines kept growing.
Behind us was a nice young lady holding a very large electric crock pot
in her arms, and,.. she was waiting too. First she stood on one foot,..
then the other. Then she would leaned forward, then back. -That
procedure, I assumed, was more to relieve tension and frustration than
tired muscles. I couldn't tell for sure but it appeared that the color
of her cheeks were getting redder by the minute too. Even though it
wasn't all that cold in the store.
Finally, that pretty young lady gave up, succumbing to her
frustrations. She returned her, would be, purchase to the shelf and left
the store empty handed.
When we eventually reached the cash register, and I asked if there
wasn't anyone else in the store that could collect money from, (at least
til then) us Christmas spirited folks. I was told, with a smile, that
someone had called in sick. I didn't say it, but I thought, "well dog
bite my unite", "some 'one' called in sick" and three cash registers
stand empty.
Variations of such maladies take place often. Not just at that store
but many stores. Not just in Grafton, but in Grand Forks and Fargo too.
If, in my opinion, "we" are to expect local folks to shop locally. And,
if we are to expect they not travel to the big stores to the south to
enjoy larger selection and benefit from the economy of mega store
purchasing power. We MUST provide "our" shoppers with rapid courteous
service, at a fair and reasonable price.
The list of idiosyncrasies in the business community is long. Not only
here at home but across the country. However, those with the shortest
list will win, everytime.
That, in my opinion should be a major function of the community entity
known as "our" Local Chamber of Commerce.
All of the parties, dancing and light shows in the world, will have
little or no effect, if folks won't stop and shop here anyway.
Or so it seems to me.
----------------------------
I received the following note several years from a very close friend.
With the recent loss of several close friends and a wonderful young man
from Hoople. I find it appropriate to share it again today.
Lee wrote. >>>
This reminds me of you.
Going through my mail, got this from my daughter. I thought of you when
I read it, partly because I had just read the Gazette, partly because
I'm pretty darn proud of you. It took you awhile, but it's apparent from
reading the Gazette that you realize there are more important things in
life than wearing "just the right tie" to a meeting at corporate,
working 18 hour days to get the beets out of the ground and into piles,
and being up all night making sure the factory gets the right blend of
beets. Don't feel bad that it took so long to see what the really
important things in life are, some people never do figure it out.
~ IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER ~
by Erma Bombeck
(written after she found out she was dying from cancer)
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth
would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it
melted in storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was
stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried
much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the
fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his
youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day
because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more
while watching life.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical,
wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished
every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the
only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now
go get washed up for dinner." There would have been more "I love you's."
More "I'm sorry's."
But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every
minute...look at it and really see it ... live it ... and never give it
back. Stop sweating the small stuff. Don't worry about who doesn't like
you, who has more, or who's doing what.
Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love
us. Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with. And what we are
doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally. I
hope you all have a blessed day.
--------------------------
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there." -- Will Rogers
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"I may not always like what you tell me. I will, however, always
appreciate it." GLM


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: