Monday, December 01, 2008

December 1, 2008 - Monday

Todays Gazette is brought to you by all the folks responsible for the
decorations in Grafton's Leistikow Park.
-------------------------
Here we are on the first day of the first week of the last month of
2008.
The current temperature is 21 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 22/16
Normal H/L temp for this date is 26/10
It was 50 degrees on this date in 1901
In spite of Al Gore's dastardly deduction. Santa Claus will NOT need
to trade his sleigh for a wagon,...... this year.
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
--------------------------
Pat and I enjoyed this years Thanksgiving dinner with Jeff & Yvette's
family at their home. Yvette not only does a wonderful job taking care
of our son Jeff on a daily basis, she can prepare a fabulous
Thanksgiving dinner as well. The turkey was roasted to perfection and
filled a giant platter. The stuffing was nothing less than scrumptious.
Another large platter was full of delicious ham that could easily have
won a blue ribbon at any county fair in the country.
After taking more turkey and ham than I should have, I filled the
spaces between them with mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries, beans,
(music for the afternoon) a whole variety of garden vegetables plus a
healthy portion of Gramma's tapioca salad. After mopping up the last
traces of gravy with fresh rolls, Yvette served us several slices of
pie. If memory serves me, - after all, at this point I was starting to
look for nitch to nap in - Yvette had three different varieties of pie.
Pumpkin, Banana Cream (it wasn't even my birthday) and Apple. I
understand the apple pie was courtesy of Kathy Larson, and it certainly
was great Kathy.
Anyway,... from the menu, you may be able to tell why when Pat and I
left for home, I felt alot like that turkey when it was placed on the
table. When I got home, I changed into a pair of trousers with a lot
larger waist band. Then I sat down in my recliner, and, for the next
several minutes (actually until I fell asleep) I thought about how lucky
I am to have such a fantastic family.
Thanksgiving isn't just about gathering around the same table to eat.
It's the knowing that everyone you care for and love, cares for you to,
wherever they eat.
-----------------------------
Have you noticed there's a Santa in a tree stand in Leistikow Park?
+++++
Even though there are many wonderful displays already set up in the
Park. You may have noticed that some from last year are missing?
+++++
Many local businesses will also be including their holiday wishes to
everyone in the area in the Walsh County Record. As one of the areas
largest employers, a nice holiday display in the park would be a
fantastic way for all the folks at the Walsh County Record to
recipricate.
Or so it seems to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's the memories of our past, that puts the Gold in our future." GLM
-------------------------------
Speaking of memories. My good friend and Rocky Point summer resident
Lloyd first shared the following almost two years ago. It was very
appropriate at that time. It may well be even more appropriate today.
On Wednesday Dec. 27, 2006 Lloyd shared the following with us. >>>>
He wrote: Gary:
I thought of this poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, written in 1864 a
few months before the end of the American Civil War. The five stanzas
below were set to music by John Babtiste Calkin in 1872. It has become a
standard Christmas song in some songbooks and hymnals and is, perhaps,
known to many of your readers. It seems most appropriate for, us at this
time, in our national distress over the outcomes of war.
~~~~~~~~~~
I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: "God is not dead, nor doth He
sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."
Lloyd W. Hanson <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Lloyd. Let us hope that the
world might read and heed.
----------------------------
I was pleased to learn, a few days ago, that the Grafton Chamber of
Commerce has a new Executive Vice President in the person of Tabatha
Widner.
I must admit, I really don't know Tabatha. I don't even know Tabatha's
Husband. However, I do know Neil Widner, Tabatha's Father-in-Law. Neil
is a sugarbeet farmer. I enjoyed working with Neil in the sugarbeet
industry for a good number of years.
If Tabatha brings the Widner care and concern for people, along with
their desire to strive for excellence in everything they do.......
And,.... I am certain she will. Grafton is indeed a fortunate community.
Welcome to Grafton Tabatha. I truly hope you will find our little
community can be, "Your Home Away From Home".
==========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==========================
"I may not always like everything you tell me. I will, however, always
appreciate it."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: