Wednesday, November 26, 2008

November 26, 2008 - Wednesday

Todays Gazette is brought by the myriad of things we all have to be
thankful for.
------------------------
The current temperature is 29 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 40/19
Normal H/L temp for this date is 28/12
It was 50 degrees on this date in 1962
There is a 70 percent chance it will not snow tonight.
=======================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=======================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, therefore, it is the season to be thankful.
And, with a little effort, some days more than others, we can all find
much to be thankful for.
-- I'm not sure if flu season has been "officially" declared in our
area yet. If it hasn't then Mother Nature has established field trials
for yet another crazy olympic event at our house. --
Mind you, even Mother Natures (MN) "new event" still provides ample
reasons for us to be thankful.
For instance. I'm thankful the hallway to our "library" is wide enough
so that two people, under pressure, can pass uneventfully. I am also
thankful our "library" was fully stocked with all of the appropriate
paper products, (thank you Mrs. Whipple) prior to MN's calling.
Also,... I am thankful that our cable system actually does have a few
channels without political pooh (pardon the pun) to watch between
sprints to the "library". I'm thankful for all the folks that sent
e-mails or called wondering how we were doing. I am especially thankful
that the other half million, or so, telemarketers didn't call,.... yet.
I'd even be more thankful if I could get the first half million to quit.
The past few days has also provided some very valuable knowledge should
we ever decide to remodel the "library". I've learned that "things"
would go (pardon the pun) a whole lot easier if the water closet,
charmin, towel rack, waste basket, wash basin and shower were all within
arms length. A challenge I'm quite sure any good local "Joe the Plumber"
could resolve.
And,... during our latest encounter with Mother Natures trials, I am
truly thankful that Grafton Radio Station KXPO AM and KAUJ 100.9 FM
cared enough to broadcast Mayor Todd Burianeks State of the City Address
this past monday evening. With the benefit of channel 3 television (KAUJ
100.9) in every room and a portable radio for the trips to the library,
I was able to hear the entire speech. - that does remind me that the
water closet could use a "quite flush" button. -
Anyway, and I say this completely devoid of humor and jest. "My" Mayor,
"Our" Mayor, The Mayor of the City of Grafton did something Monday
evening that most folks wouldn't do. In fact, Mayor Burianek did
something on Monday night most folks couldn't do. He stood up in front
of the whole world, certainly the world as we know it, and, he not only
told us how he sees our community today, whats even more important, he
told us how he sees our city in the future.
I have always believed that, "everyone is willing to tell you something
you want to hear. Rare is the person that will tell you what you need to
hear".
Mayor Todd Burianek proved himself a rare individual Monday evening, at
Marketplace on 8th, with his address to the Grafton Chamber of Commerce.
We can agree with him yeh or nea, but one things is absolutely
certain. Grafton's leader has told us where he stands and why, he has
shared his hopes and dreams and for those that need even more. Todd
bared a part of his soul. Who could ask for anything more?
Congratulations Mayor Todd Burianek, thank you, I would have enjoyed
being there to shake your hand after your address. Unfortunately Mother
Nature had other plans. HOWEVER,... I am extremely thankful that I can
share my thoughts with you, and, with all the members of our ever
growing Gazette family. Gary
-------------------------------
I am also very pleased to share the next note. All I ask is please
don't let Tammy;s kids read the Gazette today. >>>>
I just wanted to drop and note and let you know that I was very
impressed with our local Pamida. Last night I went in just to browse and
saw they had several Wii accessories so I inquired as to the
availability of the Wii console. I was told they were currently out of
stock but expected some on today's truck. I then inquired about the
price. They have them available for $249.99 which is the 5AM SALE PRICE
advertised by many GF merchants. How fortunate are we here in Grafton
that we do not have to get up by 3:00AM to travel out of town to receive
the benefit of the sale price offered as it is available to us today. I
did go in this morning and purchase my much sought after Christmas gift.
(Please do not tell my kids:)) Just another example of how we can meet
our needs right here in Grafton. I hope everyone has a Happy
Thanksgiving!!
Tammy Burns <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Tammy. If you children find
out early,... it didn't come from me.
-------------------------
CORRECTION,.... I had the right Avenue, unfortunately, the wrong
street. Lloyd Sorenson ran the Texaco Station on the corner of Hill Ave
and 8th street.
(I could be wrong but I think gas is $1.78 in town today) Anyway Bob
wrote: >>>>
Subject: Gas price at Torkelson Standard Hi Gary, Your memory is
good regarding the price of gas you remembered but you have the
incorrect address for my father's station. The station was on the
northeast corner of Hill Avenue and 5th street (not 8th street). I
remember the gas price at 16 cents a gallon while I was in grade school;
probably late 40's early 50's. The gas prices here in the Twin Cities
ranges from $1.58/gal. to $1.70/gal. today depending where you happen to
live and/or drive. We seem to have the highest prices here in the
southeast corner of the metro while the northwest part of the metro
where our son lives has the lower prices. It has been as much as 20
cents/gal. cheaper in Buffalo, MN, where he lives, then here in Cottage
Grove, MN. It does not make sense to me as we have one oil refinery
within 2 miles of where we live and another one within 20 miles so the
transportation cost should be less to get the gas to us. Go figure!
Susan and I send our blessings for a wonderful Thanksgiving with your
family. We always look forward to reading the Gazette. We have
noticed when you have not been able to get it sent out and pray for you
and yours when that happens.
Bob Torkelson <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Bob. For those
"newer" members. Bobs lovely wife Susan is the daughter of the late Dr.
George and Eileen Countryman.
-----------------------------
I would be absolutely amazed if there wasn't someone out there
somewhere, more than willing to provide Heritage Village with heat for
another 27 years.
The 27 plus year old dual furnace has decided to "retire" and it has
been tagged to be replaced ASAP. Preliminary estimates are above
$3,500.00. Heritage Village is asking for any help anyone may be able
to provide in replacing this furnace in order to allow them to remain
open.
The members of Heritage Village would like to thank everyone for their
past and continuing support.
Checks may be made payable to "Heritage Village Furnace Fund" and
mailed to Heritage Village at 695 W 12th St., Grafton, ND 58237. <<<<
=======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=======================
"If you simply can't find anything to be thankful for. You should be
thankful your not a turkey." Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: