Tuesday, November 11, 2008

November 11, 2008 - Tuesday

Todays Gazette is brought to you, in part, by the McKay Machine Shop
located on east 5th street in Grafton.
-------------------------
The current temperature is 20 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 24/18
Normal H/L temp for this date is 37/20
It was 64 degrees on this date in 2005
Of course we are experiencing global warming. Al Gore recently found
out about it and puufff,.... it's become a brand new discovery,.......
again.
========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------------
Kilmers Excavation crews are still hauling out fuel laden soil from the
front of the former Hvidsten Implement building on the corner of fourth
street and Griggs Avenue. I hope the boom on Kilmers 325 Cat backhoe is
long enough, to reach deep enough, to get at and remove all of the
contaminated soil.
While hoping, I should also hope that the folks that "donated" the
property (not the Hvidstens) in question to the city of Grafton for
taxes, also thanked us (the city of Grafton) for removing a giant
albatross from their shoulders.
Or so it seems to me.
-------------------------
It looks like gas fell below the $ 2 dollar mark in Fargo this week.
Jeff wrote: >>>
Gary
Just an FYI....gas in Fargo is $1.89/gallon! Bottled water.... $1.25
for 20oz.
Keep up the good work!
Take Care
Jeff Pederson <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Jeff. If my
math is correct, although it may not be... That puts water at $8.00 a
gallon, or, to put it another way. Water is now over 4 times more
expensive than gas. (bottled water)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To know what is right, and then not do it. Is the worst form of
cowardice".
It is a quote I have used often. It is also one I feel very strongly
about. Although I have never professed to be a significantly "tactful"
writer. My intent certainly is not, in any way, designed to hurt or
offend innocent people.
Unfortunately, last Friday, November 7 Gazette I "related as fact" the
potential environmental issues that folks of different stature might
experience in a elevator. I must admit, at the time, I found the
statement interesting and even somewhat amusing.
However, after reading the following note, from a person that I have
the utmost respect for. And, after rereading the comment in question
once again. I find the need to extend my most sincere apologies to Lisa
and to everyone else that I may have offended as well.
Lisa wrote: >>>>
Mr. Moe, I just wanted you to know that although your fact section
today is a fact, I as a person of short stature, or correct term of
little person, found that fact 100% offensive and inappropriate. I grew
up and still live in Grafton. I think your daughters were even my
babysitters from time to time. I was also your granddaughters boss for a
few summers. I enjoy reading your postings as do many others, but today
you lost a reader. All people should be respected and you clearly
crossed the line. <<<<
Thank you Lisa, for caring and sharing your feelings, and, for
pointing out my inequities. I will try do better in the future. Another
quote I use often best reflects my present state of mind.
"I may not always like what you tell me.
I will, however, always appreciate it."
Gary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This morning, Tuesday November 11 a whole bunch of people will gather
to celebrate the life of Henry J. Corneillie.
Although I really never knew Henry very well. I do know his son and
daughter-in-law John & Susie Corneillie and also Henry's daughter
Jennifer and her husband Kim Hooey very well.
However, I have learned more about Henry and the kind of person he was
in the past few days over coffee at Granny's than others might have
learned in a lifetime.
I would like to share just a bit of what I have learned about Henry
from those who knew him much better than I.
"Henry was a real true, honest to God worker." "Henry was a working
mans, working man." "When Henry climbed up on a tractor, you didn't
ever worry about him getting the job done." "Henry was an honest to God
true blue farmer". "All you had to do was give Henry a tractor, and he
knew what to do with it." " By gully, they just don't make men like
Henry Corneillie anymore."
Yes, from what I have been able to learn about Henry. He will be
"working the Lords gardens" and I have every reason to believe, every
row will be a straight as if there was a GPS in the tractor.
I would like to extend our deepest sympathies and our sincere
condolences to the Henry Corneillie family.
From Patty & Gary Moe and family
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Henry J. Corneillie Sr. age 78 of Grafton, ND died Friday, November 7,
2008 at the Unity Medical Center of Grafton. Henry J. Corneillie Sr.
born Feb. 27, 1930 in Joliette, ND. He attended rural school there and
following his education he worked on the family farm. He was drafted
into the U.S. Army in 1953 during the Korean War. He spent two years as
a staff driver for a 2 star general. Returning home to find his father
had sold the farm, so he started working for area farmers. Henry was
united in marriage to Doris Lorenzen on February 10, 1962 in St. Thomas.
living in St. Thomas Henry worked for Ray Littlejohn, Lon Stenerson, Ed
Lysengen, Adolph Aaland, and the Gilleshammer Farms. In 1976 the couple
moved to Forest River, ND where Henry worked for the Dick Clark Farms.
In 1980 they moved to Hoople and he worked for the John Donnelly Farms.
When they quit farming the couple moved to Grafton and Henry worked as a
carpenter at the Grafton Developmental Center. Henry still had a calling
for farming, so Bill Kingsbury offered Henry a job and he spent the next
26 years working for Kingsbury Farms. During the winter months, Henry
would go to Florida to help his son plant potatoes' for Tri-Campbell
Farms. Henry was working this spring until he started getting ill. He
was diagnosed with lung cancer in September. Farming was his life's
passion Henry is survived by his wife Doris, Grafton; their
children: Jim (Vicki) Corneillie, Fort Myers; John (Susie) Corneillie,
Grafton; Jennifer (Kim) Hooey, Grafton; Henry "Punky" (Sonia)
Corneillie, Orlando; grandchildren: Wyatt, Derek and Taylor; brother
Oscar and sister Valentine "Teno" Pellitier. He was preceded in death by
his parents, daughter Brenda on Jan. 19, 1986, six infant siblings, and
brothers: Alphonse and Gaston Jr. and Sister Julia.
Mass of Christian Burial will be Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 10:30
A.M. at the St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Grafton, ND.
Visitation will be Monday from 5-7 with a prayer service at 7:00 PM at
the Tollefson Funeral Home of Grafton. Interment will be at St. John's
Catholic Cemetery.
The Tollefson Funeral Home of Grafton is in charge of the arrangements.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
"Simply thinking you are always right, makes you wrong once, for sure."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: