Wednesday, December 31, 2008

December 31, 2008 - Wednesday

Today is the last day of 2008. ~~~
If you have yet to decided on a resolution for 2008, you have one day
left to do so.
~ HAPPY - NEW - YEAR - EVERYONE ~
===== PLEASE REMEMBER =====
------ If your going to drink,... think! ------
-------------------------
The current temperature is -20 degrees.
The "feels like" temperature is -34.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 3/-18
Normal H/L temp for this date is 16/-3
It was 40 degrees on this date in 1940
We are under another winter weather advisory today. It looks like we
aren't going to start the global warming thing.... til spring.
=======================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=======================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
This will be the last Gazette,..... of the year 2008. At the present
time I do not plan on sending out a Gazette on New Years Day. Not,
because I will have been out on New Years Eve partaking of the spirits
that make folks like me do silly things. However, I am planning on
having a quite tenderloin steak and lobster dinner at home with my
sweetheart. If things go as I plan,... and I am pretty sure they will. I
will not only eat my steak and lobster, I will probably have to help Pat
finish hers as well. If that be true, then I will most likely be
consuming my next years ration of drawn butter all in one sitting. If
that be true,... I will, most likely, be spending much of New Years
Day...... in the library. Now then, assuming today and tomorrow go as
planned. This would be the best time to wish my extended Gazette family,
A very Happy and prosperous New Year.
------------------------------
~ News Years Eve Dance Schedule ~
~~~~~~ circa 1950's & 1960's
Poncho will be playing at the Legion.
Louie Martinez will be at the Eagles.
The Hagen Family will be entertaining at the VFW.
------------------------------
I mentioned that our Ohio Fox Hunting Friends would be here Thursday.
That gave Lyle Anderson from Idaho reason to share the following note.
>>>>
Re:Fox hunters
Gary, I'm reading about the Fox hunters. What is this, an actual
hunting party or what. Sounds like a fun time what ever.
I'm not sure if the ice is thick enough yet, but I'm getting antsy to
do some ice fishing here pretty quick. We get some nice Rainbows and
Brown trout out of a reservoir near here. Actually it's the only
place I know of where we can stretch the truth and get by with it. My
buddy says, man I sure missed a nice one, and my reply is, really, I
didn't see the rod bending, must have been the wind. I remember fishing
on the lakes back in Minnesota, didn't have a power auger, and it was an
hour job to get through 4 feet of ice, or even longer if you wanted to
fish out of your boat.
Getting plenty of snow, about 3 ft. in the last week. I say let it
snow at 7000 ft., let us alone here at 6000.
lyle <<<>>>>> HI GARY,
Man what an eye opener on the flood insurance cost to Grafton
residence and businesses... I don't know what the total paid out is in
Grafton although I'm sure it can be had very easily.
In Roseau Mn. it was $330,000.00 per year. Now.... the people that were
paying that, have that much to spend and pay their home taxes, etc. etc.
etc.
What is so sad about the whole thing is that we could have had it
(flood protection) for about one half of what the cost is today.
I can remember every flood for almost 80 years and anyone who
says we will not have a flood again is just a plan fool and a dreamer.
GARY, I remember so well in 1997 when we were filling sand bags
ourselves on the parking lot, the Mayor at that tie gave me a real piece
of her mind about getting our citizens exited about a flood. Well
my friend, it turned out to be the biggest flood we have ever had.
Except, wiser people told the city fathers we needed a dike and Grafton
was saved.
We almost got flooded from the east as the water was going over the
road that goes out to the Aasands home. However, Mike Houska was on the
job and saved us from a disaster.... Thanks Mike.
Thanks for making us aware of a disaster that we could see much
sooner than we think. WALLY

No comments: