Monday, March 31, 2008

March 31, 2008 - Monday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you by the folks at Marketplace on
8th.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 35
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 39/27
Normal H/L temp for this date is 43/24
It was 80 degrees on this date in 1963.
===========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
===========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
If someone would have told me a month ago that the former Everson
house, on the north end of Kittson Avenue, would ever get sold. I would
have thought them they are a good candidate for the loony bin.
As usual, I should have known better. The Country Realty sign in the
front lawn now say's SOLD. Once again, a "home town realty, selling our
homes in town".
------------------------
Speaking of selling around town. Harry Iverson has accepted a sales
position with C&M Ford of Hallock. As I understand it, Harry will be
C&M's new and used car salesman for Grafton and the surrounding area.
Good luck in your new venture Harry.
------------------------
I received the following note from Mayor Burianek. >>>> Todd wrote;
Gary
This should have come from me sooner, but I've been busy with law and
life things. I am so proud to be the Mayor of a town that has THREE
State Championship teams. As a politician, it's my duty to try to take
credit for things I had nothing to do with, but which occurred during my
term in office but I simply can't find a way to do that. I'll keep
working on it.
I note that as I reviewed the names of all the great student athletes
on these title winning teams, I looked long and hard to find the "bad"
kids, you know the ones who are jerks but who got to play because they
are gifted athletes. I suspect that doesn't say much about me, but I did
it. It's also true, that I could NOT FIND ONE player who met that
criteria. This isn't hyperbole, it's the truth-these players do not just
excel on the playing field/ice they excel in life and are really a great
group of young people.
------- (Todd continues)
In other news, I see that three Red River students tried
(unsuccessfully) to break into our school/arena ostensibly to remove the
State Championship Trophy from it's rightful owner. I found that strange
because of all people you would think Red River boys would know that in
order to get the job done right it takes at least SIX high school boys
to do it!!!!
Todd Burianek <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Todd. (My Webster describes
"hyperbole" as exaggeration for effect, not meant to be taken
literally.) That's for us Norwegians that didn't already know.
----------------------------
Ron shared the following comments about a recent trip to the state
Capital.
He wrote. >>> Well, they did it again. The students of GHS made us
all proud in Bismarck at the State Music Conference. The Concert
Choir under the direction of Peggy Dahl-Bartunek were selected, the only
one in the State, to sing in front of all of the music instructors and
others. They were great! Another feather in the hat for the youth of
Grafton. It was a pleasure to drive them to Bismarck.
Ron Thompson <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Ron.
-----------------------------
Speaking of community projects. I attended the Federated Church French
Toast and Sausage breakfast Saturday morning with my daughter Kelly and
her husband David. The food was fantastic, as I would have expected.
Actually, I was told that the sausage was one from Butch Gillespie's
recipe book. I was even more surprised to see that they had a member of
Robin Hood's Sherwood Forest band at the door to welcome us.
------------------------------
Speaking of community participation. Kelly Andrew's Benefit Friday
night at the Marketplace on 8th, was nothing short of fantastic. As
everyone knows, putting such an event together requires the work and
efforts of a great many individuals. It was apparent that all those
involved on Kelly's behalf, did exactly what needed to be done to
accommodate such success.
I would, however, be remiss not to specifically mention how fantastic
Susan Corneillie, her staff and the volunteers at Marketplace on 8th
were. Although hundreds & hundreds of people participated with donations
and giving of their time and energy. Susan not only provided help in
those areas, she graciously relinquished her normal evening dinner
business, for the day as well.
As I see it, we are extremely fortunate to have a facility such as The
Marketplace on 8th. And,.. it's another major reason for everyone in the
area to support it, so that it can continue doing the valuable community
services it provides to so many, so well the whole year long.
---------------------------
This coming Friday April 4 is the opening Ceremonies of the 2008 World
Men's Curling Championship's. Sundays Grand Forks Herald included a
super FAN GUIDE for the event. I read through it and found it very
informative.
Unfortunately, I was unable to find mention in it, anywhere, of the
Master of Ceremonies for the opening ceremonies of the World Class
Event.
For those that may not know. The Master of Ceremonies for the 2008
World Men's Curling Championship, opening ceremonies, is Grafton
resident, and local businessman, John Aasand.
-------------------------
It sounds like there is still lots of interest in Tom Kutz's 1948 flood
photo's.
==========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==========================
"If you don't tell me, I won't know. If I don't know, I can't tell
everyone else."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

Reply

Reply to all

Forward

No comments: