Thursday, March 27, 2008

March 27, 2008 - Thursday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in loving memory of Miss Cora
Lykken.
----------------------
The current temperature is 25
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 38/29
Normal H/L temp for this date is 40/22
It was 72 degrees on this date in 1946.
==========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
Wednesday was a slow news day in Shivercity. While doing a little
research in the Gazette library. I got to thinking how lucky I am that I
don't have to jump over Dinosaur dung on the way to the mailbox. I
thought about how lucky I am that the glaciers that dredged out the Red
River Valley and the entire Great Lakes system melted leaving us with
some of the most fertile, best farm land in the world.
Then,.... (I must have eaten to much dinner) I got to thinking about
the person most responsible for me using "ing" on the end of words
appropriate for it's use. At one time, I remember, I did think "in" was
good enough. Gettin, hittin, smokin etc, etc, seemed so much easier to
say than getting, hitting and smoking,.... I thought. That, of course,
was before I "learned" differently from Miss Cora Lykken.
I remember Cora telling me, "Mr. Moe, you quit being so lazy. You are
supposed to pronounce these words as they are written." Now, that would
have been enough for most folks. Not for me however. Oh I did hear what
Miss Lykken had said alright, but for some reason, it wasn't til I felt
the WHACK on my hand from her ruler, that I truly understood just
exactly what she meant.
Miss Lykken was also the one that taught me to sit up straight when I
read. Again, it wasn't her, specific, common sense words that convinced
me that I would be able to remember (retain) more of what I read, that
way. NOPE, it was a very strategically placed English Text Book,....
upside my head that got the point across.
So here I am, almost fifty years later, sittING up straight, usING as
much of Miss Cora Lykken's lessons as I can remember. (and wishing I
could remember more) AND, my head and hand hardly hurts,....... any
longer.
Cora taught in Auburn from 1906 to 1910 then in Hannaford from 1910 to
1919. She taught fifth grade at Grafton Central School in 1919 and in
1920 she started teaching junior high students. (I was one of those)
Miss Lykken retired from teaching on May 31, 1960.
Miss Cora Lykken was born on May 19, 1885 and spent her entire life
giving everything she could, to everyone willING to accept it. She
passed away on Nov. 25, 1980. She was laid to rest in the Lanstad
Cemetery located on the Hans Lykken land near Auburn.
Miss Cora Lykken gave me numerous reasons to be thankful. I have often
wished I had told her so, while she was here. Somehow, I trust she can
hear me now, anyway. I certainly hope so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
=== HAPPY BIRTHDAY --- Joshua ===
Today is the day our oldest grandson celebrates the anniversary of his
birth.
It hardly seems possible that 25 years have passed since his first
spanking.
Happy birthday Josh. We love you very much. From Grandma & Grandpa Moe
(the ones on your Mothers side.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Please plan to attend this special event. BENEFIT FOR KELLY
ANDREWS Time: 4:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Date: FRIDAY, MARCH 28, 2008
Marketplace on 8th, Grafton Kelly is a 27 year old, hard working,
caring, smart, and beautiful young woman who was diagnosed with
Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
==== Cost: $10.00 per plate ==== Serving BBQ Pork & Au Gratin
Potatoes Tickets are available in advance at Marketplace, --
Country Smokehouse, -- Wally's, or, at the Highway Dept in the
Courthouse.
Bake sale, Rootbeer floats, a silent auction of numerous Items and
sports memorabilia, AND MUCH MORE...
Additional donations can be sent to
Bremer Bank, Kelly Andrews Benefit Fund, 910 Hill Avenue, Grafton, ND
58237 or at any Bremer Bank location. Proceeds will help defray medical
expenses.
Liz Daby: 701-352-3882
Maggie Campbell: 701-352-3735
Sharon Lipsh: 701-331-0916
Any expression of kindness and consideration will be greatly
appreciated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
````````````````````````````
This Sat. 29th from 7am to 2pm is the Annual French Toast &
Sausage Breakfast at the Federated Church. There simply is no better
French Toast, than Federated French Toast. Fabulous French Toast,
Fellowship and Sizzling Scrumptious Sausage. It just doesn't get any
better than that. Or so it seems to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
````````````````````````````
The 2008 Men's World Curling Championships at The
Ralph Engelstad Arena on Grand Forks April 5 thru 13th. Take
advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to watch a World
Curling Event at The Ralph Engelstad Arena.
And, of course we can't forget the opening event will be MC'd by
Grafton's own John Aasand.
-------------------------
===== 1948 FLOOD PICTURES ====
Hi Gary,
I've had lots of interest in the photos of the '48 flood. I have
prepared three options for your subscribers to view them:
1. They can use this link
http://photoshow.comcast.net/tkutz
to see a slide show of the photos
2. They can email me at tkutz@comcast.net and I will send them a
PDF file of the booklet that can be viewed on their computers
3. They can email me at the same address and I can send them a
printed copy of the booklet. However, because of the cost of printing
and postage I will need to charge $12.50 for each booklet.
The first two options are free and will give the viewers photos of
"fair" resolution. Also, at the link site, the slide show
"Paving of Main Street" is still available for viewing.
I hope that your subscribers enjoy the slide shows. Just a
little bonus they receive with their "paid up" subscription to the
Shivercity Gazette !
Tom <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Tom. AND, for all your hard
work putting together this presentation. I've looked at the booklet you
sent several times and each time I notice something new. I am amazed
you're willing and able to send it out for only $12.50. That's a lot
less than Wal-Mart would do it for.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
It costs $3.25 to fill a gallon can with gas in Shivercity today.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: