Wednesday, March 19, 2008

March 19, 2008 - Wednesday

Todays Gazette is brought to you, in spite of Obama's ministers radical
views.
------------------------
The current temperature is 26
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 43/29
Normal H/L temp for this date is 36/19
It was 69 degrees on this date in 1910.
All the while Al Gore is telling us to save energy, he's hording all
the carbon credits he can. So he can justify owning his large gaggle of
mansions across the country.
========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
Today I noticed a "scooter" parked in front of Polly's. I can't be
sure, but I'm guessing it doesn't belong to John Tweten. Within minutes
I also noticed a full blown motorcycle going down main street. That one
wasn't Twetens either. However, it certainly was another sign spring is
just around the corner.
-------------------------
Wendy shared the following comments about the past weekends skating
event at the Centennial Center. She wrote. >>>>
Hi dad, just a quick note on this year's skating show. I have attended
many in the past but this was my first as a "nana" of a young skater.
Great job by everyone involved and Kylie's Great Great Uncle A.K. set up
a stand for supporters to purchase flowers and/or stuffed animals to
present the skaters...WHICH OF COURSE we did. All in all Kylie ended up
with close to a dozen flowers and a cute little bear. She was thrilled.
Jeff and I laughed as she spotted us and threw us a little smirk
followed by a wave. It is truly fun to be from a small town with huge
hearts and great ideas..... <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing
"nana".
----------------------------
So far the only word I have on Saturday nights Mega Raffle is a
question. Michelle wrote, >>> Gary,
Just inquiring who some of the big ticket blue line winners were?
Michelle <<< I'm really sorry I don't have a list of the winners
Michelle. Maybe it will be in this weeks Record.
-----------------------------
The mention of the "old" Legion club Monday gave Kelly reason to share
the following. Kelly wrote, >>>> Hi Dad.
I must be getting up there as the old Legion really brings back
memories to me also. It was my first job there, as a bus "girl" and
dish washer. I didn't have anywhere near the longevity of Gladys,
Sarah or Dorothy but I do remember working with them very well. They
were wonderful ladies to work with and I learned a lot from them. I
think of that era of my life every time Dorothy comes into the Country
Smokehouse.
Aren't memories wonderful?
Love you, Kelly <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Kelly.
It sure would be interesting to see a list of all the wonderful people
that worked at the "old" Legion Club.
-------------------------
Bert sent this about the "old" Legion plus some clarification. He
wrote. >>> Gary, I hope you realize I was not forgetting the cost of
lives, blood and sorrow when I described the financial cot of war. I
was just thinking when I read the part about the Legion club when it was
just south of the post office about old times.
Do they still have the dances at Minto, Park River, Lankin and
Mountain etc. like they used to have? I remember how after the
dances we all gathered at the "East Curb" afterward eating the most
delicious cheeseburgers ever made, summer and winter.
Is there anything like that now in the area? Bert <<<
I suspect the answer regarding the dances, is yes, most small towns
still hold dances "sometimes". Although I'm almost certain they're not
like they used to be. As for a place to go for a fantastic burger
(especially a Monster Burger) the best drive inn (curb service) around,
is The Westside Drive Inn. You have to get there early though, because
they close before most dances are over.
---------------------------
There probably are more pro's and con's to the discussion of war and
peace and military service than there are people. Here is just one more
thought to be added to those discussions. >>>
Morning Gary
Just read the morning Gazette.
Interesting article about the war.
You have to remember also, the troops over there are all volunteer. They
don't have to be there. They chose their profession the same as a
policeman, fireman, doctor or whatever.
Cousin Lynus <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Lynus.
Somehow your comments reminded me of the time I worked for the city of
Grafton. As I was crawling down into a sewer manhole to clean it out. I
remember, vividly, looking up and hearing Elmer Sondeland say. And you
actually asked for this job?
Less than a week later, I was dumping a trash barrel into the city
garbage truck when Willy Johnson asked me. What in the heck did you ever
want this job for?
Now that I really think about it. There probably is a difference
between volunteering for the armed services and working for the city
sewer department. You don't have to take quite so much "poop" (I cleaned
that up for the kids and clergy in the group) from the folks in the
army.
Funny isn't it, how one thing reminds us of another.
--------------------------
ADDITIONAL CURLING NEWS and stuff.
As submitted by John Aasand.
Gary,
With all the news of the Spoilers basketball victory and the
anticipation of you winning the Harley I decided to wait to report to
you and your readers about the Brier. Winnipeg had over 160000 fans for
10 Days so it was a huge success. Alberta went undefeated to
become Canada's representative at the worlds in Grand Forks. If I'm not
mistaken Kevin Martin of Alberta is the skip who played against our
Grafton boys at the Junior
World in Victoria BC. That team consisted of Darin Holt, Darin Kress,
Brett Davis, and Duane McGregor.
I guess time fly's even in the curling world. I talked to a lot of
people who are coming to the Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks for
the World Mens Championships.
The people in Grand Forks were doing a great job of PR. I would be
wonderful if The Ralph could help out some more as obviously they have a
larger web to help with the promotion.
It's not every day you get to see the Chinese and Australians curl, so
it should make for a great 10 days.
It's just a rumor but Vessel Ville seems to be getting a group
together to cheer on the Cheek (SP) Republic.
The opening ceremonies are at 6pm Friday. If you enjoy the sound of
"Bagpipes" you will really be impressed with the Canadian Bagpipers
presentation at this event.
~~~ Speaking of special things coming up. The weekend of March 28-29 is
the benefit for Kelly Andrews at Market Place. That's on Friday from 4
to 8:30. All you have to bring is money, that makes everything real
easy.
~~~ On Sat. from 7am to 2pm is the Annual French Toast Breakfast at
the Federated Church. So besides helping
out you can get feed too.
(I still can't believe Gunner shot those geese.)
Remember the benefits and the world championships April 5th thru the
13th. John Olaf the 12 <<<< Thanks a million John, for the
super update and for reminding us of some very important upcoming
events.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please welcome Marilyn Johnson, Pat & Wes Sabourin and Carol
(Hopperstad) Sterling to the Gazette family.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
"The best way to let people know what you think...... is to tell them."
Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: