Wednesday, December 26, 2007

December 26, 2007 - Wednesday (early edition)

Todays Gazette is brought to you by the biggest little city, North of a
daily paper.
=== GRAFTON, NORTH DAKOTA ===
----------------------
The current temperature is 16 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 24/-2
Normal H/L temp for this date is 17/-1
We can expect normal temperatures for the rest of the year. That
doesn't mean will get it,.... but we can expect it.
============================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
============================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
Gosh I sure hope everyone had as nice a Christmas as I did. Pat and I
were able to spend Christmas eve with our entire family. Brad and Denise
graciously offered their home for this years gathering. It seems as
though our gene pool is growing faster than the pond they call Devils
Lake. This year 31 of us were sitting in a circle watching each other
open presents. And, I was told, next year I can expect one more Great
Grand Child, for sure, to be ripping wrapping paper with the rest.
As for me, I got everything I asked for, and more. All I really wanted
for Christmas was my two front teeth. I not only got my two front teeth,
I got six more to boot. And, so I don't get cold on cool summer
evenings. I also got a new fireplace for the motorhome. More important
than ivory and warmth, however, I was able to wrap my arms around each
member of my family and tell them I love them.
---------------------
Work has started on the Northern Dakota Railroad shed/office building
on the north end of town. Some of the facility wall supports have been
installed. With a bit of imagination, it is possible to get a feel for
what the building might evolve into.
Right now, however, the site resembles something closer to a dinosaur
skeleton than a railroad engine warming house.
----------------------
Kathee wants to share this with us. >>>
To continue about Joe Birkeland, let me emphasize that he was so much
more than a great band director. I never was in band and by the time I
hit high school, Joe was no longer the band the director. But I bet many
alumni will remember Joe getting up on the stage in the old high school
building during pep rallies to lead us in singing the Spoiler fight
song. If we did not meet his standards for volume, he stopped the band,
gave us a scolding and started again. I recall on several occasions, he
stopped the band more than once to show that he was serious about us
showing our enthusiasm.
I also was his student teacher in the history class that he taught in
a basement classroom of the old St. John's Catholic Church. It was a
great experience, and I still enjoy a good history lesson wherever I
find it.
I am sure Joe would be proud to know how much so many of those
associated with Grafton and GHS appreciate the history he helped to
create.
Kathee <<< Thanks a million Kathee, for caring and sharing another facet
of "Joe".
++++
Cheryl sent this. >>> Gary - I loved today's poem. We didn't know
it, but you're a poet!! This says it all for all of us.I, too, am
lucky enough to be spending Christmas Season with family and friends.
Thanks for the Gazette. I read it
every time.Joe Birkeland was my teacher, but not band leader. Back
in the days that CentralSchool was socrowded Joe andus had
class in the basement of the oldCatholic Church. I agree he should
be remembered permanently in Grafton. What a great idea.
Have a wonderful, blessed Christmas.
Cheryl Vistad <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Cheryl. If we
can create enough interest, we will create a worthwhile remembrance of
Joe.
++++
Nip sent this. >>>
Hi Gary
Merry Christmas to you and your family from sunny AZ. I think Berts
idea is great and you can count on me for a contribution when needed.
When you mentioned the trips taken, one great one was not listed. That
was to the Rose Festival in Portland Ore. I remember that one well. We
had lots of chaperones that donated cars that we all rode in and Jimmy
Thompsons Dads truck was used to haul all of the instruments. As I write
this, all I have to do to remind me of the trip, is to look at
myright shoulder and there is a tattoo with my name NORM there. A few
of us guys snuck away from our chaperones and Joe and went down on skid
row and got tattoos. Needless to say, in those days, we almost got
kicked out of the band and school. Not to mention what happened to us
when our parents seen the tattoos. That was a memorable trip with lots
of memories.
Thanks Gary for the Gazette and all the news from Grafton. Really
enjoy it.
Norm "NIP" Lykken <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Nip.
It's becoming "frightfully" apparent that there are many more stories
about "Joe" and his band, than there were band members.
++++
Suzanne sent this priceless memory.
She wrote: >>> Subject: Joe
I read with great interest and with tears in my eyes the articles
written about Joe. I wanted to write but have a hard time finding the
words to say what Joe and the Band meant to me. I too was barely 14
years old along with Chuck Ordahl when we went to the Rosebowl the first
time in 1949. Two weeks before the scheduled date of departure I was
not in the "City" Band and all of the old band members remember how hard
it was to get into City Band. On that night upon coming home from
babysitting, lo and behold, Joe was in our living room! He said "How
would you like to go to the Rose Bowl with us?" I replied -
"Ican't go Joe. I don't have the $50.00." He said he had spoken
to my Dad and that was already taken care of. My two brothers and
sister had worked the whole summer to earn that $50.00 and I
couldn't believe that I was to be allowed to go. It was a wonderful
trip. Lila Otto Millerand Rae Meier Desautel were appointed by Joe
to "babysit" me and they took great care of me and included me in their
activities. I remember marching down Pasadena Avenue and barely
making it. I remember the wonderful sidetrips including Knott's Berry
Farm and the Long Beach Roller Coaster that my brother, Dick, would not
let me ride on. I remember the jam sessions in the baggage car
and"matching" nickels with Al Johnson. I remember the porter
who took a liking to me and shined my shoes every night.
As Gary says, aren't memories wonderful? Needless to say, I
would be happy to contribute to whatever monument is planned for Joe.
l would be happy to assist in furnishing addresses of former band
memories if I can have some help coming up with some names. Suzanne
LaBerge Burns. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Suzanne. I
believe it's the memories just like yours, that gives those that never
even knew Joe, reason to admire him and honor his memory.
--------------------
Grafton's Parade Band was Skyrocketed into national prominence when the
Passadena Tournament of Roses Association made public an announcement
that the local musical organization has been selected the outstanding
band in the 1949 parade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am pleased to welcome Sandra and Bob to the Gazette family tree.
===========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
===========================
Someone claims to have heard Joe say. "My band not only has the
greatest musicians from 9 to 90, it has the most beautiful Majorettes in
the country."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: