Wednesday, December 19, 2007

December 19, 2007 - Wednesday

Todays Gazette is brought to you by
=== The Mennonite Community ===
& their youth group's fabulous singers.
----------------------
The current temperature is 1 degree.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 18/-1
Normal H/L temp for this date is 19/1
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Last night proved to be a another memorable evening for Pat and me. It
started with a fantastic, Fillet of Sirloin, steak at Market Place on
8th. After which we stopped at Denise & Brad's house. That's when we
heard that Crystal - the beautiful young lady that takes care of B & D's
kids - would be coming over with her youth group to sing Christmas
Carols.
The Mennonite Youth Singers stopped by our house last year and at that
time, I would have found it hard to believe it was possible for them to
sing more beautifully.
Anyway, Denise, along with Pat and I, also invited Pat's sister Shirley
to enjoy the Crystals Carolers.
Shortly after 8:00 a half dozen vehicles stopped in front and 2 dozen
or more members of Crystals youth group came to the front steps, and,
(for lack of a better description). "The heavens opened up and we heard
the Angels singing."
As we stood there in the open doorway, watching those beautiful people,
singing fabulously wonderful Christian, Christmas music. I realized that
it wasn't "just the sound" they were singing. Nor, was it "just the
words", they were singing. It was their sincere display of love for us,
and all of mankind, that was emanating from their hearts and souls.
Through tearfilled eyes, I noticed Jerry Unruh, (Crystal's father)
singing from the middle of the group and then the lump, - whenever I get
emotional, - appeared in my throat. I was thinking of Jerry's personal
contributions to the community and to the Grafton Volunteer Ambulance
and Rescue Organization. And, I thought, whenever there is a fire,
flood, or any time of real need, the Mennonite Community is always
there.
If only the rest of the world could have been there last night. Maybe
there'd be no more reason for nations to fight. Their work, and their
efforts is not for glory or fame. It's not even important that we know
their name.
What is most important, can be heard in their voices, as they thank God
for their lives and their choices.
-------------------------
The "seed" Bert planted to recognize Joe Birkeland is beginning to
sprout. If everyone that reads this message, only reads it. Then,....
more than likely, nothing more will ever come of it.
However, if everyone that has ever been "touched", by Joe Birkeland, in
one way or another actually does something. Bert Overlands seed could,
and, would emerge into something as wonderful as the recognition and
memories Joe gave to Grafton for all of those years.
If Bert's suggestion is going to grow. Everyone must get "on the band
wagon". (that pun was intended.) People, places and things are what's
needed. The exchange of verbiage and the willingness to participate
essential.
To that end, I will be happy to share everyones comments in the
Gazette. I should also remind everyone. If you would like to send in
something you "do not want shared in the Gazette", please tell me and it
will remain confidential.
Joe Birkeland came to Grafton in 1941 and reorganized the City Band
into the Grafton Parade Band.
--------------------------
Shortly after "planting Berts seed" I received the following note from
Russell. He wrote: >>> Gary
I strongly support Bert Overland's suggestions. There should be some
remembrance of Joe Birkeland and his impact on the city. I was on every
band trip I could make from my Freshman year in high school until I left
UND and the good will and support of the people in the city are among my
best memories. I was at most of those Detroit Lakes summer festivals but
I didn't recall Bert's note about Pride of the West until now. I wasn't
aware there was a DVD about the band. I would really like to get a copy.
Are they available? Russ Lefevre <<<< Thanks Russ, I hope we can get
your DVD question answered as well. I'm, almost, certain Tom Kutz can
add value to that. Right Tom?
-------------------------
Subject: band stuff
What a great idea to honor a man who put Grafton on the national map by
encouraging music in so many of us AND giving Grafton a chance to shine
in parades small and large. Since he was a teacher of economics as
well as band director, how about a Joe Birkeland scholarship to
encouragefuture musiciansto excel. Bet you could get a lot of
alums to help fund that. I love the idea of Birkeland Drive also,
although I don't remember ever marching through there. I do remember
freezing my tail off practicing marching (in March and April) behind the
school. Brrr! Alice
--------------------------
Dear Gary,
I certainly do think Bert Overland has a great idea and will bring
it up for the Palm Desert bunch to mull over and if we come up with
something will run it by Ina Raumin when her & Jerry arrive and with all
the Gazette subscriber's along with the Graftonites I'm sure some good
ideas will be presented. Thanks to you and the Gazette - things like
this can reach a lot of people. Lea (Amond) Fairbairn <<<< Thanks a
million Lea. I probably should fess up. I haven't actually talked to Ina
Raumin or Donnie LeBerge about the idea. I'm hoping that enough people
will respond so that they will simply "want" to volunteer. People like
Lynn Thompson, Dean Bjorneby, Larry & Bob Collette, Ron Sando, Richard
Thompson and a whole parade of people.
It be great if we could get some of the hundreds (thousands) of people
Joe Birkeland touched to submit stories or tidbits of their associations
with Joe and The Grafton Parade Band.
Or so it seems to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
===== HAPPY BIRTHDAY =====
KRYSTAL BRITTNEY MOE
Today is the day Jeff & Yvette's eldest daughter Krystal, celebrates
the anniversary of her birth. Although girls don't always like to have
their age divulged. Young girls, it seems always want to "appear" a
little older. So, today Krystal, you are 9,467,202 minutes old.
Billy Joe was singing "We didn't Start the Fire" on the radio that day.
(Appropriate for a firefighters daughter don't you think?)
It could also be said that Krystal is, very strong, a bit self-willed,
independent, does not allow contradiction or arguments, loves life,
family, children and animals, a bit of a butterfly, good sense of
humour, likes idleness and laziness, of practical talent and
intelligence.
Happy Birthday Krissy. We love you very much. Grandma Patti and Grandpa
Gary
==========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==========================
Please remember Joe, and, share what you know.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: