Monday, December 17, 2007

December 17, 2007 - Monday

12/17/07 MONDAY
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Drayton ND Piano
Virtuoso, ====== JON BROSSEAU ======
You haven't heard real Ragtime, Blues and Boogie music until you've
heard it played on Jon Brosseau's piano.
Jon's recently released CD can be purchased in Grafton at Henry's
Countrypolitan. It would make a fantastic Christmas gift, as would so
many of the things you'll find at Henry's Countrypolitan in Grafton's
down town "Strip Mall".
-----------------------
The current temperature is + 12.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 15/-10
Normal H/L temp for this date is 20/2
It was + 57 on this date in 1900
===========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
===========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
Work on the new Second Time Around store / Youth center / & whatever
the third proposed tenant will be, is going really well. I think. Peter
Holand and his hard working crew of students from the North Valley
Career Tech Center have already started hanging sheet rock on the center
partitions.
It sounds like it won't be very long before they'll start painting.
And, shortly after that, the folks from the Second Time Around Store
will be moving into their brand new home in the old Ben Franklin
building.
------------------------
I'm sure most of you have heard the "old" saying, "It's not how many
times you fall, It's how many times you get up, that really counts."
If that's true,... then I am two for two.
The first time I fell, I thought it was fitting, and appropriate, to
thank God that I didn't knock out more teeth than I did, or that I
didn't hurt anything other than my pride. I was also very lucky the
first time to have unusual (that's what I said anyway) circumstances to
blame for the fall. After all, I was outside, and,.... there were leaves
on the ground, and a box of rocks to fall on.
This time, I found myself thanking God I had already knocked my teeth
out, so that it couldn't happen again. (I don't have the new ones yet)
And, I'm fortunate that the carpet on the floor of our hallway is much
softer than that box of rocks was.
Now then. I have a knee that is swollen larger than Al Gores head was
when he accepted the Nobell Peace Prize for discovering global warming.
A leg that's stiffer than a wine-o on Saturday night, and a hand that
feels like Mrs. Burtt just whacked it with a ruler after catching me
scratching my initials in a study hall desk.
So far I haven't been able to come up with a long list of benefits to
my latest aeronautical miss-adventures. Other than the fact that it's
becoming more and more apparent that hand rails are a good invention,
and, that I won't be trying out for the New York ballet anytime soon.
------------------------
Gosh I really regret my recent encounter with our hallway floor kept me
from attending the Alvin & The Chipmunks movie at the Strand Theater.
Originally Pat And I were going to take the twins and their younger
brother. Fortunately, Aunt Shirley Durand took my place.
After the movie Tyler called me and said, "It was really, REALLY GOOD
grandpa!"
++++ PLUS,.... I received the following from Phil about the
"Chipmunks".
He wrote: >>> Gary,
Rachel and I took our little "chipmunk" to the "Alvin & the Chipmunks"
movie last nite. The Strand was packed with people of all ages which was
very nice to see. The movie was very good and the popcorn was even
better!
Phil <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Phil. It is
especially heartwarming to see so many folks utilizing the Strand
Theater, one of Grafton's oldest entertainment centers. Tom runs a good
show, (pardon the pun) his popcorn is every bit as good as I remember it
was when I was 8 years old,.... the cotton candy is every bit as good as
that at the Shrine Circus, and, the dill pickles aren't bad either.
----------------------
It does happen I know. Actually, It happens way more regularly in the
Gazette than it should.
Oops, I'm speaking about errors, omissions and misrepresentations of
people or entities. Of course it's always best, when mistakes are made,
to correct them ASAP. Often, unfortunately, ASAP can't happen unless
someone identifies the error.
Identifying a person or a business by using the wrong name falls into
the "it shouldn't ever happen category".
While talking with a close friend yesterday I was "reminded" that when
I mentioned, in the Gazette, that Zebbie (DeSautel) Hoenke was the
recipient of this years Grafton Teacher of the Year Award. I
inadvertently used the wrong "Hankey". (No pun intended.)
Zebbie not only deserves the Teacher of the Year Award, she deserves
to be recognized by her rightful name, and, she deserves my most sincere
apologies for not identifying her properly in the first place.
++++
Then, on the same, but different subject. It's been brought to my
attention, by more than one person, that our local radio station, KXPO
1340 has been referred to as KXPO 1310, more than once, in previously
printed local news events. I'm almost certain, however, that that is
nothing more than a unfortunate oversight.
----------------------
I received the following note from former Drayton & Graftonite Duane
Kargel. >>>>
Merry Christmas Gary and all who read the Shivercity Gazette. I
enjoy every issue and although I have been away from the area for many
years, I visually walk down the streets to the places you reminisce
about. Thanks for the memories.<<<<
Duane also attached several "tidbits" he refers to as fodder for the
Gazette, calling them Half-Witticisms. This one seems especially
appropriate for me.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IS NO
MATCH FOR NATURAL STUPIDITY.
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Duane.
------------------------------
---------
I am pleased to welcome Julie H. and Larry L. to our Gazette family
tree.
=========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=========================
"No-one can learn, til someone, or something, teaches them."
Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: