Thursday, December 13, 2007

December 13, 2007 - Thursday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you by Oliver Ordahl. One of the
most wonderful people I've ever known.
---------------------
The current temperature is 21 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 26/-1
Normal H/L temp for this date is 21/3
We are witnessing the more "testy" side of Mother Nature again today.
==========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
Have you heard the news? The Alvin & CHIPMUNKS movie is in town! I'm
pretty sure this news won't create much, if any, controversy. I first
learned of their "visit" from our daughter Wendy, when she cared enough
to share the following note. >>>
Subject: hi my daddy
In regards to your DON'T go to the movie warning... I have one that I
am DYING to see come to the Strand Theatre here in town so I can "take a
child" to it.... I can't wait for the Alvin & The Chipmunks movie....
Nana (me) will even take Kylie (as a cover of course) and, I am going to
try bend the arm of my little brother (Brad) to bring his little
"chipmunks". I wonder which one would be considered more like "Alvin"...
The previews are just so darn cute I am excited for it.... Maybe you and
mom want to go to??? <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Wendy. AND, if I read the
Strand Theater marquee correctly. The Alvin & The Chipmunks movie is now
playing. I should tell everyone that Wendy is our first offspring to
become a grandparent. Hence, she is the first of our litter (Pat & I) to
appreciate the value of a afternoon nap.
So,... I hope everyone will take a nap, then take your wives out to
dinner, and then, take your kids to the Strand Theater to see the movie
called,.....
Alvin & The Chipmunks.
----------------------
======= DAFFYNITION: =======
Predicament (pre dik' e ment) When two people have four hands, a mirror,
a ice pick, a suction pump, a drill motor and a garden hose all in your
mouth at the same time. AND, then one of them asks. How are we doing?
That my fine friends, is a predicament.
And I don't care what Webster calls it.
++++
By now most, if not all, know about my fall. (unplanned trip to planet
earth.) It was that trip that gave cause to visit our local Dentist.
It's not that I don't like dentist's. per-se. It's that I never really
acquired a taste for the work that they do.
Prior to this episode. The last time I visited a dentist was several
years ago, shortly after midnight, when I had a toothache with pain that
would have rivalled that of giving birth to a baby,.... with a very
large head.
As best I can remember it. First I tried cloves, then I tried salt,
then cloves and salt together. Then I packed the tooth with snuff while
holding ice cubes alongside. Jumping up and down didn't help. Hollering
and blaming Pat for my problems didn't work. So,.... I finally gave in
and begged Pat to call a dentist.
First she called Dr Cuthbert, Doc's wife Dorothy answered and was a
little reluctant to let her talk to Dr. Cuthbert. However, after Pat
explained my dilemma, Dr. Cuthbert came to the phone. After Pat
described the pain I was in, he said he was sure that the tooth was
"impacted" and that he would be extremely reluctant to extract it, for
two specific reasons. First of all, he said, it is never a good idea,
nor is it prudent, to extract an impacted tooth. Secondly, he said, that
he had just returned from a two day dentist's convention, and
consequently wasn't in the very best condition to be digging around in
my mouth. (Evidently, dentist's use a different type of novocain at
their conventions, than they do when they're in their office.)
Anyway, Dr Cuthbert did offer to provide me with a pain killing
subscription that "might" get me through the night. Or, he said, "maybe
you can find a dentist willing extract it while in it's present
condition.
Being almost certain I wouldn't live through the night, I begged Pat to
call our good friend Dr. Jaehning. By this time it was late, very late,
but Dr. Jaehning answered the phone on the second ring. Pat explained my
situation, and, all the while she was talking I was moaning and groaning
with a mouthful of every spice we had in the house including a half a
can of snuff.
When Pat told him we had already talked to Dr. Cuthbert and that we
knew full well that the tooth shouldn't be pulled in this condition, but
that I was extremely desperate. Dr. Jaehning said,... "meet me down at
my office in five minutes and I'll see what I can do."
We were standing by his office door while Dr Jaehning was unlocking it
and already I could smell the "anesthetic". As we entered his office he
told me to sit in "The" chair. He put his hand on my forehead and pushed
my head back saying "open as wide as you can". I did, and, the next
thing I knew, something I related to a pair of channel lock pliers was
going in my mouth. Even before I could realized that the "anesthetic" I
had smelled at the door wasn't novocain at all, my lower right wisdom
tooth was out and in the little sink by "The" chair. As Dr. Jaehning
handed me a glass of water he said, "rinse your mouth good, spit in
there, stick this chunk of cotton in the hole in your mouth, and lets go
home and get some sleep."
As we were leaving his office, with a mouthful of bloody cotton. I
asked Doc. why he hadn't been to the Dental Convention. He said, "I was,
as a matter of fact," he said, "we just walked in the house when Pat
called." He said, "I would have been home sooner but we decided to stop
in Grand Forks for a stiffener".
Aren't memories wonderful?
P.S.
The first thing I noticed when I walked into Dr Daby's was the absence
of the neat little "spit sinks" Dr. Cuthbert and Dr. Jaehning had in
their offices.
The next thing I noticed,.... was the lack of pain. For some reason,
going to the dentist doesn't seem to hurt like it did the last time I
was there.
Gosh the Cuthbert's and Jaehning's were wonderful people. I truly
wished they still lived in town.
------------------------
I sent the following note yesterday to welcome a wonderful person to
our Gazette family. Sense today is a relatively slow news day. I decided
to share that note with everyone. >>>>
Gosh I'm pleased to welcome you to the Gazette family. I view the
Gazette as little more than a compendium of babble. My commitment is to
do the very best I can, as often as I can, to provide a forum that tests
ones thought process giving memories and reality a chance to commingle.
The only guarantee is that the information gained through the Gazette
will not be worth less than the price of the subscription. If at some
point I should fail to accomplish that goal, I hope someone will bring
it to my attention.
=========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=========================
"If you don't tell me, I won't know. If I don't know, I can't put it in
the Gazette."
Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: