Saturday, December 22, 2007

December 22, 2007- Saturday

= MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE =
= THE REASON FOR THE SEASON =
----------------------
The current temperature is 10 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 23/16
Normal H/L temp on this date is 18/0
We are getting the snow, now we're waiting for the blow.
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I must admit my first full day back at Granny's was wonderful.
Especially the free coffee part. Paying for the privilege of drinking
it, was just as painful as I had remembered it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chuck Ordahl shared the following thoughts about Joe Birkeland.
Subject: RE: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE--Joe Birkeland Remembered
Gary,
Bert Overland has suggested a great idea. Joe Birkeland deserves such
an honor for the legacy that he left to the Community and to many of us
individually. It has been very interesting to see the messages of
support from so many of the friends of my youth. I have thought of Joe
many times over the years and the influence that he had in that early
period in my life. I was a freshman in high school when we made the
first Rose Bowl trip to California by train in 1949. Russ Lefevre and I
bunked together. Those that were on that trip will remember parking the
Pullman sleeper cars at Union Station in Los Angeles and spending our
nights there. During the days we practiced for the parade and took bus
trips to surrounding communities and tourist attractions. One such trip
that I recall very well was to Santa Monica where we had lunch at one of
the hotels overlooking the Pacific. The park, palm trees, palisades,
beach and ocean all at once was truly impressive to a young 14 year old
boy. I decided that was where I wanted to go and that is where I did go
a number of years later after finishing college. I would not have had
the opportunity to develop that vision had it not been for Joe Birkeland
and the efforts he made as a teacher and a leader. From my perspective
he was truly one of the "Greats" in Grafton's history. I agree whole
heartedly that Hill Avenue is where Joe's footprints are most deeply
embedded in the Community and therefore I like Bert's suggestion of
renaming it in his honor. You can count on me for a financial
contribution to this or some other appropriate enduring means of
remembering Joe.
Gary, Thanks for carrying the ball on this and for your continuing
efforts to provide us with information about the Community -Past and
Present.
Best Regards,
Charles (Chuck) Ordahl <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing
Chuck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sure most, if not everyone is aware that we are just a few days away
from what has become known as, "The reason for the season."
Five years ago I wrote a article much like the following: >>>
THE REASON FOR THE SEASON:
It is a "catchy phrase". One I have used myself on occasion. Under
normal circumstances, when I hear the phrase, I smile, nod, and
reminisce of days, and seasons past.
In most cases I hear, or read, the term from regular folks on the
street. Or, in articles relating to the time of year between
Thanksgiving and Christmas. Every once in a while though, I have heard
or read the phrase by people that I personally regard as 'a little
closer to heaven' than I.
Hence, my reason for this note on, "the reason for the season."
One time a long time ago. In the middle of a heated discussion, that
took place at Grafton Floral, between Father Garland and Wilfred
Collette. I remember Wilfred telling Father Garland, "You know Father,
that's easy for you to say, you have a 2,000 year old book to run your
business by." To which Father Garland replied, "you know Wilfred, that
same book applies to Politicians as well as Priests." After the
discussion was over and the flower shop was quite. Dad looked at me and
with a funny sort of smile said, "son, there's two things in this world
you never want to argue about. One of them is Religion,... the other is
Politics."
This article is living proof I haven't "always" listen to dad.
ANYWAY. The reason for the season, certainly means different things
to different people.
Some relate Christmas as a season, simply expressed as the time
between Thanksgiving and the day we celebrate the birth of Christ,
others celebrate Christ as a method to make more money.
Christians, celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25th. That
is, in fact,.... "THE DAY".
Merchants have, over the years, commercialized the "thought of the
Christmas season, to begin the week after we celebrate Thanksgiving.
The Christmas season is one of the few, seasons every religious,
and non religious, denomination participates in for financial gain.
Aided to a large extent by the Christian community itself.
The Christian community, includes several hundred religious groups
in the world. The reason for Christmas is to celebrate the birth, the
coming of
"Our Personal Saviour."
The reason for the season, has been commandeered by the merchants
of the world for financial gain. Not the least of which have been
florists and greeting card companies.
Think what the world would be like, if everyone, would buy a
present for everyone they know, every time someone they knew had a
birthday. If that would happen. How long would the season be?
I think it is fair to say, every Merchant, Jew or Gentile, Sand
Rancher and Fan Dancer alike, rely to a significant degree on the days
before Christ's Birth, regardless of the time frame, that has come to be
known as,...
"The Holiday Season".
"For me, all the reasons, or seasons, I can see, can't take away
what Christ has given to me.
He's brought me friends and family,
without them, what would I really be?
He's held my hand when I've felt sad,
and helped fix things that once seemed bad.
He's been there when I've felt lost,
and lit the way, and, shared the cost. I've learned a lot this
past few years, some I've learned, while shedding tears. The
fact remains, until it ends,
I'm thankful for Jesus Christ, my Family and my Friends."
============================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
============================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: