Thursday, October 04, 2007

October 4, 2007 - Thursday - Grafton, ND

-----------------------
The dimmest lights always seem to have the most scandal power.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 55 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 75/36
Normal H/L temp for this date is 62/38
Normal N.D. temperature is to warm to be cold, and to cold to be warm.
==============================
====
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff
-----------------------
The buildings on the corner of 4th street and Griggs Avenue that once
housed Mattson Manufacturing and later Wilson Bros. Auto Parts store
has been given a brand new face lift.
Scott and Peppy Robideaux's Tae Kwan Do, health and exercise facility
is sporting (pardon the pun) a brand new paint job.
That corner of town has seen significant improvements over the past
several weeks. Besides the Robideaux property, B & D flooring on the
next corner south received a new coat of paint while just across the
street to the west of B & D Flooring the Country Smokehouse opened their
doors in a completely refurbished building. Then too, right in the
middle of all that is the former Hvidsten Implement building which has
been all cleaned up and has become a part of The Storage Pros, (Mike
DeSauyel) storage operation.
Who said good things never happen in Grafton?
------------------------
Speaking of good things from Grafton. This morning, and it isn't even
Christmas. Tom Campbell walked into Granny's bearing gifts in the form
of individually wrapped, uniform sized red potatoes. Ready to pop into a
microwave. Tom says they are, or will be, in Wally's in Grafton as well
as several other stores in the area soon.
Denny Schneider stuck one in Granny's Microwave for 6˝ minutes and it
was delicious. Look for Tri Campbell Farms "Red Bakers" in your local
grocery store.
-------------------------
The former Penney's store on main street has taken on a new life of
sorts as well. Denise & Dennis Sevigny proprietors of Grafton Embroidery
Plus is using the front display windows of the Penny's building to show
off an even larger assortment of items The Embroidery Plus has to offer.
What a fantastic idea. Denise & Dennis Sevigny are to be commended for
helping Grafton be all that it can be.
It would be wonderful to see others of our business community take note
and fill the rest of the vacant display windows with their wares.
------------------------
I filled the motorhome with gas and propane yesterday. I thought,
before gas prices increase, again. Rats, wouldn't you know it? Today the
price of gas in Grafton dropped a whole dime. If I read the signs right,
gas in Grafton is $2.79, give or take a penny.
I'm not sure if I should be thanking the sheet heads over seas, or the
upcoming election for the drop.
Unfortunately, most, if not all of the trucks and farm equipment in the
valley runs on diesel fuel and that product is not only very expensive,
it is very difficult to come by.
I would be more than willing to agree with Al Gore about the global
warming issue, if Al and his cronies would agree to allow more
gasification plants in the country. So the folks I have coffee with in
the morning, could grow and deliver the groceries I eat in the
afternoon.
-----------------------
I am well aware that every time I write the Gazette in invisible ink
for an extended period of time. I risk losing subscribers. If I read
Lees note correctly, I almost lost him. Lee wrote. >>>> I'mnot sure
aboutpeople forgetting to empty their mailbox, however it would
appear it's the time of year to get back to publishing the Gazette. I
was so disgusted with the poor service this summer I was going to cancel
my subscription, but I figured the subscription manager was baiting your
hook for you and wasn't around to handle a cancellation anyway. <<<
Thanks a million for "hanging on" Lee. However, I must confess that I am
not only the "Master" of my ship, I am the "Baiter" of my hook as well.
If you know what I mean.
------------------------
I am pleased that Marjie cared enough to share the following. Her
message also includes another possible use for our wonderful
campground. She wrote. >>>
Good to have you back, Gary.
It's been an interesting summerbreak for me. I've had two
surgeries since April. Thankfully I'm unfamiliar with being a patient
and spent as little time as possible as one. Now I just need to get back
in the habit of going to the gym.
One of my dreams in this life was to spend a large part of the
summer at the beach and Icame pretty close to accomplishing that,
spending 3 1/2 weeks at various beaches from Myrtle Beach, SC( 3
days)to Fripp Island, SC(2 weeks) to Corrollain the Outer Banks of
NC(1week).
I was able to start biking again, got back into swimming, climbed
two lighthouses in 5 days with nary a twinge in my knee. I need to send
a note of thanks to my orthopedist for doing a goodjob. I enjoyed all
sorts of wildlife fromwood storksto sharks and gatorsto deer.
I met my husband and friends in Las Vegas, my first and probably
last trip out there. It's not my kind of place. I prefer the uncrowded
beaches of the Carolinas. I finished up by visiting my daughter and
son-in-law in their new home in northern VA.
Usually spring is considered a time for new beginnings but for me
this year, fall is. I returned home with renewed energyto what needs
to be done. Autumn has always been one of my favorite times of the year.

I've included a few pictures. Hope you don't mind.
Regarding your comments about the lack of use of your campgrounds in
Grafton, it'slikely too late for next year's tour but someone from
Grafton might want to contact the organizer's of the Red River
International Bike Tour(RRIBT, Mike Kellogg) about putting Grafton on
the itinerary. I think the host communities enjoyed the cyclists as much
as we enjoyed being hosted.
Marjie <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Margie. The
pictures were super although I must admit the one of the gator gives me
goose bumps.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
If, after several days of trying, I keep getting the Gazette back with
a note saying "mailbox is full", or "address unknown" I can only assume
that person no longer reads the mail, or, that they have moved on to
bigger and better things. Hence under those circumstances I discontinue
sending the Gazette to that address. If that is in error, please let me
know and I will add the address back in the list.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: