Wednesday, October 03, 2007

October 3, 2007 - Wednesday - Grafton, ND

Man is not dignified when he is led to think that he doesn't really
have to work.
---------------------
The current temperature is 45 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 71/31
Normal H/L temp for this date is 63/38
The low temp on this date in 1989 was 15. There must really be
something to this globel warming thing.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
NEWS & STUFF, mostly stuff.
----------------------
Thanks a million Verna, for caring and sharing the following note. >>>>
Dear Gary;
Thank you very much for the Skeeterville Gazette that I enjoy receiving.
I live in Mesa, AZ and right now I am visiting my daughter Debbie
(Hegranes) and her hubby Dave in Mass. right now we are at their lake
home near Lee, Mass. and as I look out over the lake I see the beautiful
colors of the trees on the Birkshire Mountains.
My main reason for writing was first to thank you and to tell whoever
remembers my brother Carl Peterson who lived in Stephen in his younger
years died at the age of 90 in Tenn. near his daughter Connie and son in
Law Junior Keen. Carl was in a nursing home at the time of his
death. A memorial service was held in Tenn. It is intended that
the ashes will be returned to Minn. for a service next spring and
burial will be by his wife Jane where Carl gravesite is too.
We are the siblings of Carl August & Amanda Peterson. The
siblings-Ruth of California, Violet of Upham, ND, Hannah Benson Stephen,
Lila Groves, Minnesota, Carl Peterson, Tenn. Melvina Campbell Apple
Valley, Minn. All have preceded Carl in death except Verna Hegranes
Peterson who now lives in Mesa, AZ.
Thanks Gary.
Verna Hegranes (Grafton, ND) up to 1966
------------------------
I received the following note from my good friend Ralph. >>>>
You work on your dash all the time, my friend. Like my Mennonite
neighbors, by the life you live you are proof that we are witnesses to
our Lord when we don't even realize it. Just continue living the life
you have been and your dash will be completed as it should be.
Ralph Kingsbury <<<< Ralph not only writes kind and wonderful notes to
me, he writes an "econ" column in the Grand Forks Herald which I also
read religiously. In todays Grand Forks Herald I learned that Ralph is
also willing to share his opinion of the North Dakota Blue Cross and
Blue Shield NOT wanting to support a new hospital in Grand Forks.
Ralphs article included some pretty heavy arguments against the big
Blues rational. Now, I'm not an economist. Heck I still think fishing is
a cheap way to feed a family. However, on Saturday Sept 15th just past,
as my Mother-in-law lay in the emergency roon of Graftons Unity hospital
suffering from a stroke. It was determined, and rightfully so, that she
would need the care of a much larger, better equipped, hospital
facility. Since Altru hospital in Grand Forks was the closest, 40 miles
south, it seemed logical that is where Ma should go for treatment.
UNFORTUNATELY, we were told that Altru would not be able to take her.
It is my understanding that they were in fact "full up" or some such
thing. So, my 98 year old Mother-in-law had to be transferred to the
Merit Care facilities in Fargo 80 miles farther down the road.
Now then,... are the folks calling the shots at NDBC&BS going to try
convince me that it is in the best interest of my Mother-in-law, and,
the people that pay fortunes in insurance premiums to travel an
additional 80 miles for emergincy medical treatment. Treatment, that by
everyones admission, is most crucial in the fist few minutes, and
certainly not in several hours.
I believe that Big Blues decision to blackball the new proposed
hospital in Grand Forks is a grave (pardon the pun) mistake. I would
hope the general population would rise up and tell them so. Of course I
am aware there are pros and cons to such a serious issue. Of course
there will be circumstances arising for and against the proposal.
However, in my opinion, insurance companies should be responsible to the
folks that pay the premiums and NOT to the folks that create the reasons
they are skyrocketing.
I will never be convinced that forcing a 98 year old women to ride an
"extra" 80 miles is prudent medical practice.
Or so it seems to me.
---------------------------
"Patting yourself on the back is much easier, if your already bending
over backwards helping someone else."
---------------------------
Speaking of my wonderful Mother-in-law, and what's new in town. Wally
cared to share the following. >>>
Hi Gary
Glad to have you back. I am sure the fish feel a lot safer.
We have missed the Gazette. Nothing left to provoke us on
the right track.
WHAT IS NEW IN TOWN? Every ones friend Margaret
Demester had a funeral befitting her deeds in life. It was a tribute to
her for all she has done for her fellow man. I will miss her but she
left a head full of memories with me.
Also new is the Bison Manufacturing has painted all the buildings
at the former Hart Property and it looks great. It is a great addition
to our east entrance to Grafton.
Hats off to Judy Evens for getting the group together for dolling
up our town. I walked our dog Casey tonite and I noticed how much work
was done. It looks great. Thanks Judy and all your helpers for a super
job.
The Fund raiser for our friend Cindy Flicek was a booming
success. It was at St. Johns Parish center. Talk about fresh bakery
goods. Table after table filled to galore. Thanks every one for a
wonderful event. It makes me proud to live in this community.
Oh yah, this frenchman with an equal mixture of Bohunk went on
my annual pilgrimage to the Park River Bible Camp for that wonderful
fish, whatever they call it. I have heard it called most everything but
I love it. I have said it before many times, I would drive a hundred
miles to eat that stuff and the lefse and let the butter drip down my
chin.
My Norwegian/Swedish wife loved the meet balls. I told
her she just doesn't know a good thing. Her simple answer was, I
married you didn't I?
Have a good nite, invite me for coffee and be good ol
boy. Wally
P.S. I wonder how many printing errors I made? I'm to busy to stop for
things like that. <<<<
Thanks a million Wally. I'm guessing the "stuff" you speak of is
lutefisk. The word I got is this years lutefisk was especially good. I
could be wrong but I wonder if the term "good lutefisk" isn't a
oxymoran, of sorts. Or so it seems to me.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
This must be the time of year when many folks forget to empty their
mailbox.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: