Friday, October 12, 2007

October 12, 2007 - Friday

----------------------
CAREER GIRL: A gal who'd rather bring home the bacon than fry it.
----------------------
The current temperature is 45 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 46/41
Normal H/L temp for this date is 59/35
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
It seems like just the other day the folks from Alchem, Grafton's
largest (and only) alcohol distillery was asking our community for a ½
million dollars so they could upgrade their facilities. THEN, the next
thing I knew was they were spending big bucks installing new equipment
to make them even more efficient. THEN, and this was just announced
yesterday. Alchem, the alcohol folks, announced they would be shutting
down Graftons largest (and only) alcohol distillery in a couple weeks
because the price of corn is to high.
I must admit, from time to time, Alchem did emit a smell that could
take some getting used to. Unfortunately, It will take a whole lot more
getting used to not smelling it, if or when it discontinues operation
completely.
--------------------------
One subscriber wrote. >>> Ethanol update
Here's what happens when you convert a food product to an energy
product. Not only does it hurt the consumers with higher food prices, it
hurts the very industry it was supposed to help. This is the tip of the
iceberg, mark my words. We (Taxpaying legal residents) will be
subsidizing this industry big time somewhere down the road.
I had the opportunity to tour the Tesoro refinery in Mandan last spring.
The manager and I discussed ethanol and he echoed my concerns that it
makes absolutely no financial sense to produce ethanol. It costs more to
produce than gasoline from crude oil, it has less power than gasoline,
and it uses a food source as it's raw product, which drives the price of
corn up, which drives the price of everything else up, and even if every
available tillable acre of land in the U.S. was planted into corn and
converted to ethanol we'd still need to import a substantial amount of
foreign oil to keep our country going. Besides that, we'd all starve
eventually. Idiotic idea from the start!!!!! <<<<
Thanks for caring and sharing. Unfortunately, if the profit figures
I've heard from the oil industry of late is true, and they probably are.
I looks like we, the taxpayers, are doing a fair amount of subsIdizing
in that area as well.
-----------------
Although the author of the next note agrees, in general terms, with my
opinion of the medical needs. I'm surprised more haven't taken the
opportunity to share their view. The note said. >>>>
You are right on about the Blues, Altru, and the Aurora. Your comments
today got me thinking about Walmart. Any further word on whether or not
they will be coming to Grafton? <<<<
-------------------
Does anyone remember back when you were ten years old. I certainly
remember that year very well. It was the year I got a brand new bike
from the Coast to Coast store. It was bright red and the wheels were
narrower than the wheels on my friends bikes. It wasn't a ten speed, or
anything like that, and the wheels weren't as skinny as the wheels on a
ten speed. I guess that's why most of my friends made fun of it. I can
still remember not liking my friends making fun of my brand new bike. I
DIDN'T like that.
The thing I remember most about being ten years old was that was the
year I got my mouth washed out with soap,.... several times, as a matter
fact. All, I might add, courtesy of Miss Hulda Carlson. I DIDN'T like
that either. One thing those mouth washing did, however, was teach me
that "Profanity makes ignorance audible". Now I'll admit, it was several
years later before I truly understood that. And, that it was my good
friend Lee Bratlie that eventually shared the quote with me. No matter,
it was a lessen well learned, AND, never forgotten.
ANYWAY, yesterday October 11 marked the day our grandson Jacob turned
10. I think Jacob is a bit taller than I was when I was ten. I know he's
a lot smarter than I was when I was ten. AND, he doesn't have to worry
about Miss Carlson washing his mouth out with soap for using, in the
words of Miss Carlson, "poolhall language". SO,....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jacob
Your grandmother and I are very proud of you and we love you very much.
Gramma Patti and Grandpa Gary
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"There are millions of folks in this world that care to share.
Unfortunately, there are millions who don't."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: