Monday, October 29, 2007

October 29, 2007 - Monday

----------------------
No one ever says "It's only a game." when his team is winning.
----------------------
The current temperature is 45 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 57/22
Normal H/L temp for this date is 47/27
===============
"profanity makes ignorance audible."
===============
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
The Grafton girls cross country team did well at state. Chris sent the
following. >>> Just wanted to pass along a CONGRATULATIONS to the
Girls Cross Country team from Grafton on a successful state win this
past weekend.
Christopher Larson <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Chris.
We to would like to congratulate Graftons Cross Country team. Even
though the Grafton football team didn't quite get into the win column
this past week. There's no question about it. Their true winners in my
book.
------------------------
Yet another giant pile of corn has "sprouted" in Grafton. This one can
be found in Ted Hoffman's former trailer court (Trailer City) on the
north end of town. It appears that "The Storage Pros" have ventured into
the agricultural commodity storage business, of sorts. It sure is great
to see the former "Trailer City" property once again productive.
------------------------
I would like to share Dr. Gaustad's message regarding Dennis Elbert.
Gary: This is a copy of the e-mail letter I sent to Dean Lebel on
behalf of Dennis Elbert.
From: J. R. Gaustad
To: lebel@law.und.edu
Dean Paul Lebel:
This e-mail is being sent to you on behalf of Dr Dennis Elbert whom
I sincerely believe is one of the most qualified candidates for the
position he is seeking as President of the University of North Dakota.
I have known Dr.Elbert and his personal family for several
years. His accomplishments are tremendous not only in the
achievementshe has succeeded in obtaining for the University, but
also his military and personal lifeperformance which all
totallyindicate that Dr. Elbert is one of the most qualified
candidates for the Presidency of the University of North Dakota. Dr.
Elbert is definitely a leader in his profession.
I hope and trust that your committee will highly recommend to the
North Dakota State Board of Higher Education Dr. Dennis Elbert for the
position as President of the University of North Dakota.
Sincerely,
J. R. Gaustad <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Jim.
++++
The following note brought to my attention that another former
Graftonite is "in the running" for the UND Presidency.
>>> Gary, it seems worthwhile to mention another candidate for UND
president. Phyllis Johnson was born in Grafton and the family moved to
Grand Forks in the mid 50s. She is a granddaughter of the late Carl and
Mary Lanes and is related to the Russums as well. Her mother in law,
Nettie Johnson also is a resident of Grafton. Doris Johnson (Phyllis'
aunt) <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Doris. It's wonderful
having our little community associated with such outstanding
individuals.
-------------------------
Speaking of wonderful individuals from our community. Helmer Haug is
not only a wonderful person, he has been longer than almost anyone. I
did receive the following note from Linda in a timely manner.
Unfortunately, I didn't get it sent out that way. Linda wrote: >>>
Subject: Grandpas Birthday
Gary, I would just liketo let your reading audience know that Helmer
Haug (my Grandpa) has turned 103! this past week. He makes his home at
theLutheran Sunset Home. Grandpa remains alert and orientated. if you
ever need any history on the area or the way things werehe isyour
man,he is a great historian with stories to tell. Hecontinues to
tell stories of his life from farming to driving the old township "Road
Patrol" for many years. He likes to visit. My Grandpa Haug is the
best!
Linda (Fisher) Cariveau <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Linda. All of us in the Moe
household would also like to wish "Grandpa" Haug the best on the 103rd
anniversary of his birth.
-----------------------
In the past I've mentioned the wonderful "shop at home" spots KXPO
radio puts on the air. Of course they are geared for every town in the
listening area, as they should be. That following message brings that
thought down to a more personal level. >>> Gary, just read the Gazette
today and couldn't help but agree with all the great points made. It
is not because Wal-Mart came to town that we have lost so much over the
years. It is our own carelessness that has caused the downfall. I
admit, a few years agobefore I realized what was going on I too was
guilty of adding to Grafton's woes, of course being a teenager a few
years ago I would like to claim ignorance and be deemed "not
responsible" for my actions. Of course I went to Grand Forks for
everything, I was entitled to save a few hundred dollars, besides,
if ever an emergency were to arise, all the Grafton stores would be
there for me if I really needed them right? I mean, those stores are
a Grafton citizens God given right, aren't they? They don't need my help
to survive. I am entitled to their services when I need them and I don't
need them. That is how a teenagers mind thinks, spoiled, believing
everything given them is a right and not a privilege. Well I have
since done some soul searching and realized, what a great country we
live in, what a great state and you know what, this is a great town and
nothing is free, we can't have spoiled teenager attitudes and believe we
can receive all the spoils in life and never give anything back. It
is a privilege to live in Small town North Dakota, no crime, great
people, clean air, and many other benefits too numerous to mention. I
choose to live here because I would never hang my hat anywhere else and
I will do my part to make sure the area business owners (who all
recognize the benefits of Grafton) can have a successful life here as
well, and can continue to employ other people who share my beliefs and
live here because they want to. Unless we all want to live in the big
city, we have to step up and help out the hometown if you ask me. The
world is getting a little too greedy for me these days. America is
selling its soul to China and other crazies just to make a few bucks and
many Americans seem to be following the governments lead. Well, when has
doing that EVER been a good Idea? Some things are just more important
than saving a couple dollars or "Making the Big Bucks". One being the
privilege of raising a family in Small town America, or how about being
able to meet the neighbors or talking weather and drinking coffee at the
ICE BOX, these things to me are too precious to give up and just throw
away because I just had to save some money. So,.. I am going to shop
local and I'm gonna like it dang-it. I consider it like paying rent.
I put aside a few dollars a month just to go around and shop in town to
help a brother out. Living in Grafton is a privilege and it is our
responsibility to keep it going if we want the benefits. <<< Thanks
a million for caring and sharing. Well said, well meant and well
understood.
==================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================
"People are not mind readers. If you want them to know what you
think,.. you'll have to tell them." Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: