Wednesday, November 22, 2006

November 22, 2006 - Wednesday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by a turkey.
HAPPY - THANKSGIVING
---------------------
The current temperature is 61 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 60/24
Normal H/L temp for this date is 30/14
Happy Thanksgiving from me, and all of mine, to you and all of yours.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
The first thing we noticed yesterday morning as we drove down main
street,.... was Santa Claus, riding in a hi-lift bucket, putting up
holiday decorations. This will be "our" first year using giant
snowflakes to decorate mainstreets light poles. So far, those snowflakes
are the only sign of snow on main street. Then, we noticed someone
coming down Hill Avenue on a motorcycle. After all, it is the 21 of
November you know. As a matter of fact, it was so nice yesterday, that
the guy riding the motorcycle stopped in at Generations (formerly the
Eagles Club) for a "cool one" or two, or more. The fact is, it was so
nice yesterday that several folks were out mowing their lawns, in short
sleeve shirts.
As a matter of fact, and, you might not believe this one, it was so
nice out, there was even a few bankers "working" in the park putting up
their holiday display.
------------------------
Speaking of the park. The number of displays continues to grow. So far
I don't see the giant diamond from Golden Harvest Jewelry, but I'm sure
it'll show up soon. Right Jeff?
++++ Plus this.
Gary - My children LOVE Wally's display. I can see why he'd be
tempted to give up, given the vandalism, but we hope he doesn't.
Barb Dusek (Miranda and Julia)
++++ Plus this.
Re: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE
Re: Park decorations. If "cousin Wally" could find a way to provide some
kind of private security in the park, perhaps the community would
benefit 2 ways : nicer yet displays from those who have lost thru
vandalism, not only their displays, but the $$ they have put out for the
enjoyment of all of the people; AND, some vandals spending their
holidays in the county hotel. Bev and I enjoyed those displays when we
were home during the Holidays and I hope they continue. Perhaps it would
be easier to get contributions from other former and present Graftonites
to hire security. (count me in). By the way Wally has done one heck of a
lot for Grafton and deserves high accolades from all of us and in
reality should not be expected to foot the bill.
++++ Plus this.
Don't use my name please: I know the Grafton PD cruise thru the park
now and then - probably even often - - Just wondering if -during this
time of year and due to the fabulous display's for the Christmas Season
- Perhaps it could be more often - and maybe even thru-out the nite; in
an attempt to catch the low-life's that think it's fun to destroy
others' property!
-------------------------
THANK YOU --- THANK YOU
Pat and I would like to express our sincere thanks and gratitude to
the members of the Grafton Volunteer Fire Department.
Now,... for the rest of the story.
Pat & I received a letter the other day from our local Fire Department.
It said, in part.
In recognition of all you have done for the Fire Department calendar
draw, we would like to have you as our guests at our November dinner
meeting. It's our way of saying - as the letter continued - Thank You to
both of you.
As we read that letter, we thought, how wonderful it was that they
would do such a thing, for us. Volunteer Firefighters have always
occupied a very special place in our hearts. Even more so now as our son
Jeff is a member of Grafton's Volunteer Firefighting unit.
As Pat and I started up the City Hall steps to the meeting room. I felt
myself shaking more than normal. With each step, I couldn't help
thinking of so times many our firefighters risked their lives, and their
livelihoods for the rest of us.
The Zelda complex, just across the street struck me first. Then, I
remembered the Hvidsten fire. I thought of the night the Basell hotel
burned down taking with it, the law offices of Burke Hodney and Burke,
as well as Reds News & Sports. I was thinking of the fire at Church
Chevrolet about the same time we reached the top of the stairs and just
then, I could smell freshly prepared turkey from the meeting room. The
smell of food reminded me of the fire at Wally's Supermarket several
years ago. Even more ironic than that, the turkey I was smelling, had
just been prepared, for us, by Wally's.
As we entered the meeting room, I noticed the display of early fire
nozzles on the east wall. Although interesting, the things that really
drew my attention, were the pictures on the walls. Dozens of them,
individual pictures as well as group pictures.
Hugo Kutz's pictures was the first to catch my eye. Then came Bob Barr
(the blacksmith) Norbert Hanson was up there as was Herman O'Connell and
Wally DeSautel. I couldn't miss Elvon Mattson in a group picture wearing
his dark glasses.
Then it was time to eat, and, eat we did. The turkey dinner and all the
trimmings was super. While eating I thought much about the group of
people I was "breaking bread" with. I also couldn't help looking at more
of the pictures, and, how many of those men I could actually remember.
Chuck Johnston, Jim Sauer Don Loos and Charlie Matcha all brought back
interesting memories. Doug Ganyo, Bill Janousek and Leroy Stroh were up
there too. And so many many more.
As we finished our meal and prepared for the meeting. I found myself
struggling to manage the emotional high. Leroy Nelson said grace, asking
God for his direction and thanking him for his guidance. They expressed
their appreciation to Pat and me, then everyone stood up and the room
erupted with applause. I struggled for air and my throat tightened up
and something in nature seemed to make my eyes and nose both water at
the same time.
There they were, a whole room full of the finest Firefighters anywhere
on earth. Giving us a standing ovation. We will never forget that
evening. Memories are wonderful, and this will be one of the best. We
thank them so very very much.
P. S.
Have I mentioned that the Grafton Area Volunteer Firefighters will once
again be selling calendar draw tickets? Did I say they are still only
twenty dollars each, and, that the money will go towards helping one of
the best darn Firefighting units anywhere be as good as they can be?
Have I mentioned that "if" you let me know, I'd be happy to be sure you
get as many as you want? If not, I probably will be doing that real
soon. Gary
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: