Thursday, November 02, 2006

November 2, 2006 - Thursday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, MUSTEROLE. A favorite
1948 remedy for coughs and aching muscles. Reported to be, the fastest
working, longest lasting, rub around.
----------------------
The current temperature is 25 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 28/17
Normal H/L temp for this date is 44/25
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff, mostly stuff.
-----------------------
So far I haven't heard from anyone, truly concerned about the future
of Grafton, that's against the proposed city sales tax ordinance # 230.
Next Tuesday's election will be a very important one for "our" hospital
and the community in general.
-----------------------
Speaking of next Tuesday's election. I received the following "rumor"
in yesterdays mailbox. >>>
Subject: states attorney position
Dear Gary,
I thought you might like to know, that Carol Brekke Lessard is,
according to what I've heard, agreeable to a write-in candidacy for
the states attorney position. I have not spoken directly with Carol, but
have it on good authority she is willing. <<< There you have it. The
first rumor of the day. Personally, I can't tell you if it's a credible
one or not. As a matter of fact, I can't even tell you if the idea is a
good one or not. If, in fact, Carol has agreed to "run as a write in",
it will make for an interesting race.
I have had the opportunity to observe both candidates in a working
environment. Barb Whelan when she represented St.Thomas township during
a land purchase I was involved with. And, I had the opportunity to
observe Carols farming and sugar beet growing abilities when I was
Agricultural Manager at the Drayton Factory.
From those limited observations, I can tell you that I would consider
both individuals performance as exceptionally good.
------------------------
Speaking of races. I understand back in the days when hiway 17 used to
run down 5th street in Grafton. Jack DeSautel and Gordy Groven used to
use the stretch between Lykkens and the State Developmental Center (then
known as the States School) as a race track. Someone mentioned that must
have been back before either one of them knew better. Who, I wonder,
could possibly argue with that logic?
-------------------------
Hi
It has been three weeks since my mom Mildred Molde has passed away,
and I just wanted to tell you that she very much enjoyed
your newsletters. I would always print them off for her to
read. She was in the hospital for the whole month of September and I
still printed off your newsletters and kept them for her to hopefully
read, she didn't get to do that. She always wanted to write you a
note for all the nice things you have mentioned about her and my dad.
But she was somewhat of a perfectionist and could never get the right
words on paper. I remember her telling me that she babysat some of
your children and one would just cry when you or Pat dropped them
off. I think that same child (grown adult now well physically anyways
Ha Ha ) is the same one, along with his wife, that really helped me out
by watching my youngest son so I could go down and be with my mom while
she was in the hospital as my husband was busy with beet harvest.
Keep up the great work and I enjoy reading them also.
Marcia Molde Seeba <<< Thank you so much Marcia, for such a wonderful
note. I think it was Hallmark, Dale Carnegie or Agnes Qualley that once
said, "It doesn't matter what you tell someone, it means so much more
when it's written." Heck,... I think I just said that, and, I mean it.
-----------------------
Funny how things go. For the past few days I've noticed a nice shinny
car around town with a license plate that reads Rev Lee. I'm not sure
why, but it reminded me of an old neighbor down the street who's name
was Rodney Hell. Then I thought it's a good thing Rod wasn't a reverend.
Anyway, today, I am very pleased to welcome Rev Lee to the Gazette
family, and, I have no idea where the Hell's are now.
++++
Shortly after receiving Rev Lee's request. I received the following.
>>>
Subject: Old neighbor and interested in your "News Letter".
Gary,
I have read your daily news letter and enjoyed it very much. I would
like to be on your E mail list. I lived in Grafton, taught, and Lyle was
with Norwest Bank. We had children in the same grade.
I now live by a lake near Detroit Lakes, MN.
Janyce <<< Thanks a million Janyce and welcome to the Gazette family.
I must admit, however, referring to the Gazette as a "news letter" is
somewhat akin to equating pencils to computers.
--------------------------
It saddens me to report the passing of a lady I have known all of my
adult life, and more. ==== Marie Byzewski ====
(July 23, 1908 - October 30, 2006)
Marie Byzewski, 98, of Grafton, ND. died, Monday, October 30, 2006 at
Lutheran Sunset Home in Grafton.
Mass of Christian Burial will be 1:00 pm, Saturday, November 4, 2006 at
St. John's Catholic Church in Grafton with burial in St. John's
Cemetery.
Friends may call at the Barnes Family Funeral Service,
Henriksen-Kamrowski Chapel on Friday from 5:00 pm until 7:00 pm with a
6:00 pm Prayer Service and one hour prior to services in the church.
Marie J. Gourde was born July 23, 1908 at Cashel, ND. the daughter of
Joseph T. and Alphonsina (Campbell) Gourde. She was reared and educated
there and graduated from St. Aloysius Academy in Oakwood in 1927. She
graduated from the State Teachers College in Valley City, ND. and later
took summer courses at the University of ND., Bismarck and Mayville
Colleges. On January 12, 1938 she was united in marriage to Frank
Byzewski in Oakwood, ND.. They made their home in Oakwood and on a farm
near Warsaw before settling in Grafton in 1945. She worked at the Basell
Hotel, Kimbal's Turkey Plant. Marie then taught for 18 years in Various
Walsh County County and the last 6 years at Chase School in Grafton. Mr.
Byzewski died in 1992. She volunteered at the Lutheran Sunset Home for
many years for chapel services. She was a member of St. John's Catholic
Church, St. John's Altar Society, taught Religious Education, Night
Adorer of Sacred Heart, Lay Associates of the Priesthood, Catholic
Daughters of America, Our Ladies Rosary Makers, and the Retired Teachers
Association.
Survivors include her son: Jeffrey Byzewski of Grand Forks, ND;
grandchilren: Mike Byzewski of Chicago, Ill., Tad Byzewski of Grafton,
North Dakota, Jay Byzewski of Grand Forks, ND. and Angela Byzewski of
Grand Forks, ND.; great granddaughter: Molly Byzewski of Grand Forks,
ND.; and sister: Agnes Bolek of Grafton, ND.. She was preceded in death
by her parents, husband, Frank, son, James; eight brothers and one
sister.
The Barnes Family Funeral Service, Henriksen-Kamrowski Chapel of Grafton
is in charge of arrangements.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: