Monday, November 20, 2006

November 20, 2006 - Monday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Gillespie's Meat
Market. If you've never seen Butch run across main street in his
tee-shirt. You've never drank coffee at Gambles Snack Shop.
------------------------
The current temperature is 36 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 40/17
Normal H/L temp for this date is 31/15
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
Several folks took advantage of yesterdays nice weather by putting out
their holiday decorations.
Why, how and when one should decorate seems to create a problem for
some folks. Especially, it seems, folks in small towns. Some believe
"holiday" decorations shouldn't be put out, lit up and or enjoyed until
they have stuffed themselves with turkey and cranberries.
Obviously that isn't true with the business communities of the Grand
Cities to the south. And, I might add, a few businesses in "our" own
mini metropolis as well.
Every year I find myself questioning the logic of our local Chamber of
Commerce "suppressing" decorating and even promoting the holiday season
until after the head gets chopped off a turkey. Large retailers,
including some in Grafton, have been decorated and displaying "holiday"
items for several weeks already.
As a matter of fact, if the trueth be known, some folks have already
finished their holiday shopping, many are almost done. Further more,
most folks have, at the very least, done some holiday shopping. To me,
that begs the question. Why, isn't our chamber promoting "holiday
shopping" in Grafton already? Why, has our business community leaders
decided to let the giants to the south, reap our recompense? Or so it
seems to me.
-----------------------
I firmly believe our community would benefit significantly by setting
up the seasons decorations and corresponding light shows earlier. Aside
from the fact that it would give many more people the opportunity to
enjoy them for a longer period of time. The weather conditions favorable
for setting them up is "normally" much better earlier.
Having said all that, I was disheartened to receive the following note
from Wally DeSautel. Wally's wonderful whimsical display of Disney
Characters, among others, is not only the largest display in the park,
it's worth the drive to come and see it. I am sharing Wally's message
with everyone in hopes that it may help deter addition vandalism. >>>
Hi Gary,
I took your suggestion on putting up the display for Christmas early.
I went to the park today (Friday) to check things out and the sight was
enough to make me give up. About a third or better were out, one cord
was cut and 8 fixtures are shot plus many many bulbs were broken. It is
so sad a few have no respect for others property. Most people really
appreciate the work put in the displays. It is something Grafton has to
offer its citizens and those that visit our town.
I have many more in the painting stage but really wonder if it's
worth the effort. Gary I am not alone in this problem, others have
given up, three told me theirs were destroyed last year and they would
not do it again this year. Is this another failure in Grafton ?????
Wally <<<
I'm sure everyone can understand Wally's frustrations. Knowing Wally
as I do, I know he won't quit. As a matter of fact, Wally, I believe,
will look at the recent destruction as reason for even more
construction. Already his display is bigger and better than ever. I
suspect, Wally is working hard at increasing his wonderful Leistikow
Park holiday display as this is being written.
+++++
Speaking of displays in the park. I notice that the Extra End and A & B
technologies have teamed up and set up a display in the park. I know all
about the Extra End, I'm not sure who the A & B Technology folks are. It
sounds like it could be a group of scientist formulating a new fangled
drink. Anyway, I'm hoping to see the giant diamond from Golden Harvest
Jewelry this year. The park just wasn't the same last year without it.
------------------------
In case you missed it. Mid-Continent Cable Co. took down their big
tower west of town last Friday. It seems they don't need big towers any
longer. I guess they figure they can get as good, or better reception
from a dish. It makes me wonder why everyone doesn't just use that same
logic.
-------------------------
Something special must have been going on in Grafton Saturday.
Mainstreet had more women running in and out of stores than you could
shake a stick at. It almost looked like there was a sale on grandkids
and everyone was scurrying to get one more for Christmas.
-------------------------
According to the radio, we can expect to pay a few more cents a gallon
for pickup propellant. Most places in town are at $2.19,... yet this
morning.
-------------------------
The other day I watched a television program covering several years of
interviews with Barbara Walters. One of the last questions she asked of
many was, "How would you want to be remembered?". Every time I hear a
question like that I'm fascinated by the answer. Of course, it goes
without saying, that kind of question is always directed at "people of
means". If you know what I mean? Although there are almost as many
variations to the answers as there are questions. It fascinates me that
with few, if any, exceptions the answers all start out with, "I would
hope I could be remembered ---------."
Of course I will never gain that kind of status, the kind that would
give people reason to ask me that question. However, that night, while
doing research in the our corporate library. I asked myself that very
question. I'll admit, while trying to resolve the question, I did feel
an ever so slight pressure. Then, just as the pressure started to
diminish, the answer began to appear. "It's not important to me, if
people remember me. What is important to me, is that people remember
some of the things I've done." Because, "It's not how many times we go
around in life, that's important. It's how many people we help along the
way."
-------------------------
Everyone that attended the Far Off Broadway play at Central School last
week said it was absolutely FANTASTIC. Of course it was. Because
everyone involved with it,... was FANTASTIC too.
-------------------------
Although the next couple of events are a few days away. It doesn't hurt
to know ahead of time so you can mark your calendars. The first one
comes from Debbie and John Aasand. They wrote: >>> Hi Gary,
This is long overdue but we really appreciate you news letter, would you
please circulate this in your next letter
=== Grafton Federated Church === Chili-Rama-Cook-Off = is the place
to be if you "LOVE" chili!!!!
==== Saturday December 2nd ====
==== 11 AM - 4PM ====
Also, for the folks that don't care for Chili we will be serving Chicken
Noodle Soup.
"Tempt your taste buds with at least 12 different kinds of chili!!!!"
Cost is only $5.00 per person, or $15.00 for the whole family!!!!
And,... for your "Sweet tooth"...
the Federated Women In Missions will be having a bake/food sale.
PS John say's it isn't your fault you are related to LD <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Debbie....and John. I didn't
realize there was so many different kinds of Chili. Unfortunately, even
the mildest ones, give me more gas than the Iranians do.
PS I'm not really related to LD, my sister-in-law is.
-----------------------
Marian sent this one reminding us to be at Heritage Village on the
3rd. >>>
Dear Gary,
I wanted your Gazette viewers to be aware of an upcoming affair. A
North Dakota Pottery Collectors Society is coming to Grafton to give the
public a Pottery Road Show, on Sunday, December 3, @ 2PM at the Heritage
Village, Hwy 17 West. They will have a time set for questions and
also appraisals if anyone would want to bring along some of their
pottery pieces to have appraised. They will show pottery from 8
different sources of our states pottery. This sounds like it
could be a very interesting time so try to come for the show. There
will be refreshments by the Carnegie Regional Library and The Walsh
County Historical Society who are sponsoring this program. See you
there. Marian Hajicek <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Marian. It does sound like a
super place for me to have my "pot..... belly" appraised.
-----------------------
Please welcome Jean & Albert Shirek and Diane & Shane Schlenk to the
Gazette family. I hope you find something in the Gazette worth your
time. If not,.... please let me know.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: