Wednesday, November 15, 2006

November 15, 2006 - Wednesday

=== REALLY - EARLY - EDITION ===
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, W. E. (Ed) Balkee and
his column, Caught in The Web
---------------------
The current temperature is 32 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 48/27
Normal H/L temp for this date is 34/18
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news and stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
I received the following note from Senator Harvey Tallackson regarding
the Sheradon Condo idea. He wrote; >>> Gary, I was interested in your
comments on the housing complex Howard Johnson and I worked on for
Grafton. At that time we felt there was a real need for the condo type
apartment building with garages and meeting areas for the residents.
Howard and I drove to Rugby where a like project had been built and was
operating with all the condo's filled. (sold)
The proposed building would have been 3 stories, built in an octagon
shape with double garages. The proposal was for 12 condo's. We had
blueprints drawn up and got estimates to build the project.
Our financial agent suggested we needed to get buyers for 10 of the 12
condo's before starting to build the project. After exhausting all
avenues we ended up with 8 committed buyers but could not get anymore.
So after a lot of planning and efforts to sell 10 units, we finally
abandoned the project.
I still have the blueprints in my office gathering dust. It would have
been a real asset to Grafton. Later I worked hard to get the housing
units in the empty Developmental Center, North "A" and North "B".
Regards Harvey T. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Harvey. I
doubt you would have a problem filling those 12 units today,.... at
$55,000 each,... including a double garage.
------------------------
"If you're poor at spelling, it helps a lot if your hand-writings
terrible, too."
------------------------
Our community street maintenance department should be commended for the
wonderful job of sweeping up the entire town. Now, if "we" could only
find someone willing to throw some blacktop in all the caverns in our"
streets.
-------------------------
"If you want to leave your footprints in the sands of time, the best
thing to wear is work shoes."
------------------------
~~~ REMINDER, ~~~ Meeting for the Teen Center in Grafton, tonight
(Wednesday Nov. 15) at 7:00 pm at the Heritage Village in Grafton.
We hope the community and Grafton will come and stand behind us on
this project because I believe our town needs something like this for
our youth. Come to the meeting and voice your opinion on this
project. Let's all work together on this and it will work. Give our
youth a place of their own to "hang out" so to speak., with it being
properly run. Hope to see you there. Thanks again, Marian
Hajicek
--------------------------
"It's not just the high price of meat, but Uncle Sam takes all the
gravy."
--------------------------
A place for our youth to "hang out". Is a super idea! In my day we had
"The Hole". A four lane bowling alley with 4 pool tables and a couple
pin ball machines. All in the basement of the Basell Hotel and bar.
Later there was a larger bowling alley with even more pool tables and a
bar. In the 60's one was started and housed in the old Bridgemen
building on the north end of Hill Ave. I am not sure what lead up to its
closing. Perhaps others who were closer to its inner workings could
better report on what went well and not so well in that attempt. It
"might" be, that teens are far different than they were back in the
60's, but I think a commonality still exits for teens wanting to
socialize with other teens in an atmosphere where they feel accepted,
welcome and safe. A teen center was a good idea back then and it's a
good idea now, but the same challenges that existed back in the 60's as
far as keeping one running probably exist today also.
The Nickelodeon was another attempt to satisfy the thirst for youth to
congregate. Parking lots and local gas station / convenience stores are
also a favorite "gathering" place for our youth. Unfortunately, that
practice creates the perceived malady that youth, congregating in
numbers, creates a unmanageable circumstance. Which, in turn, requires
the powers that be to feel the need for the groups dissipation. Or so it
seems to me.
-------------------------
"One of the main troubles with the world today is that there are too
many fellows always ready to reach for the stool,.. when there is a
piano to be moved."
--------------------------
If, the Gazette were to have a mission statement. It would contain
words like caring and sharing, family, friends and of course, tell your
loved ones they are, before it's to late would be included as well.
Undoubtedly, It would mean different things to different people. I
seriously question whether any mission statement could rival the
significance of the following message. One which I am most appreciative
of. >>>
Subject: Thank You from the family of Ilze Sando
Hello!
I wanted to express my thanks for your words of remembrance of my
mother, Ilze (Vitums) Sando in the "Shivercity Gazette." A friend
found it and printed it out for my wife and I. I wanted to pass
along some of Mom's own words as read to the congregation during her
funeral. "It was in Grafton, ND that we finally found the place that
would become 'home' to us. The first true home since leaving Latvia."
This was from a letter that Mom had written while at UND titled "My
first fourteen years in America." Mom had very fond memories of Grafton
and remained friends with many who still live there and Grafton-ites who
moved elsewhere. Her last trip to Grafton was in late August of 2006 to
visit relatives (on the Sando side). Incidentally, Mom (and Dad
eventually) will be interred at the Crescent Masonic Cemetary in
Grafton, close to my paternal grandparents, Norris and Roseann Sando.
Mom's parents; Dr. Arvids and Erika Vitums, are in the Grafton Lutheran
Cemetery. If you'd like, I can give you the date of the internment
service when we get it finalized. Again, My family and I appreciate your
noting Mom's passing so kindly. She will surely be missed.
Paul R. Sando, Ph.D.
Dept. of Anthropology and Earth Science
Minnesota State U.-Moorhead
(The Paul Sando family includes; Paul, Jean, Kristofer Paul (8), and
Kathryn Ilze "Katie" (5)). <<< Thank you so much for caring and sharing
Paul. It's amazing how small "our" world can be. And, how important
little things can actually be. I hope you don't mind that I am sharing
your message with several hundred² Gazette family members.
I recently received something that included a message I would like to
share, if I may. I think it's most appropriate for you this day.
"Your Mother is always with you.... She's the whisper of the leaves as
you walk down the street; she's the smell of bleach in your freshly
laudered socks; she's the cool hand on your brow when your not well.
Your Mother lives inside your laughter. And she's crystallized in every
tear drop. She's the place you came from, your first home; and she's the
map you follow with every step you take. She's your first love and your
first heartbreak, and nothing on earth can seperate you.
Not time, not space... not even death!"
~~~~~~~~~
I was little more than a teenager when I lost my mother Paul. At first
I struggled and wondered why, even where, she had gone. I wondered if I
could handle her not being there, and for awhile, if anyone even cared.
Then on the day of her funeral. When I was feeling most alone, my dad
told me to "cheer up son, your mother still loves you, she just went on
home." He said she'd always be as close as I'd like, and never leave me
alone, in the darkness night. He promised her memory would always be
there and that she'd help God, when he answers my prayer.
I still miss my Mother, but my dad sure was right. Cause her memories
seem brightest, in the darkness of night.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: