Sunday, April 04, 2004

April 4, 2004

04/04/04 SUNDAY grp 5
The sky is clear, the air is clean and the winds are calm. It's 71
degrees (inside) and a brisk 26 degrees (outside) where the Johnson
girls dog whizzed on my tree.
Last years H/L temperature 29/21
Normal H/L for this date is 45/25
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible"
==================================
BIRDS; of a feather, and some without.
------------------------
It all started a few days ago. About the time it became evident we
would, in fact, have high water in the Grafton area. About midway
through the estimated 3 inches of rain, I was reminded of a saying
Mother would use during times of adversity. "It's for the birds" mom
would say. "This weathers for the birds" was the one she used most
often. "What are you birds doing?" was another one I remember well.
Yup, I've thought a lot about mom, and "birds" the past while. I
wondered why the "birds" missed listing Graftons Fair Oaks Golf Course
in a "Forks" area publication. I wondered why, the "birds" at the Grand
Forks Herald doesn't list Graftons "yesterday" temperature on the
weather page. I begun wondering why, those "birds" didn't correct the
little yellow Crosley picture in the last Yesteryears edition.
I was even starting to think those "birds" in Grand Forks were all into
taking and never into giving. I was starting think the "biggest bird"
Mike Jacobs, publisher of the Grand Forks Herald. Had forgotten to read
Herald founder George Winship' quote. "It will be the people's paper,
run strictly in their interests, guarding jealously their rights and
maintaining boldly their cause."
I WAS WRONG: THOSE BIRDS DO CARE.
First of all, I might say the Heralds Publisher is in fact into birds.
Mike Jacobs is a true Ornithologist, I think. Maybe thats what got me
all confussed. Weather, that was "for the birds". A back yard "full of
birds". A paper run by an "expert on birds" featuring Donnies, "yellow
bird" with the wrong name on it. Please forgive me, I'm sorry,... I
apologize.
Last Tuesday's Herald did a wonderful job of covering our high water
issues. Thank you, Grand Forks Herald and Ryan Bakken, for that.
Thank you, Tom Dennis, for your "Pitch in to help clean up" editorial
in Saturdays edition. Your comments and facts are well received. The
caption OUR VIEW -- Current flood victims need help, and former flood
victims should be among the first to offer help. Can apply to each and
every individual in the Red River Valley.
Thank you Grand Forks Mayor Brown. For arraigning a group of concerned
Grand Forks citizens to come to Grafton Saturday to "help".
Thank you, to everyone from the "Grand Cities" that cared and shared,
for those of us "North of the daily paper." Gary
==================================
I received the following from Lee Bratlie last night. >>> I am getting
the Gazette again. I have had problems with our computer and still
haven't got it figured out, but the mail is coming through again. The
water came up fast and is high. The road to Robbin is closed and
probably will remain so through next week. Wonder how long it will be
until someone complains again about how dry it is. Won't be long I bet,
those beets will need rain when they start coming up.
You owe the Herald an apology. Look again on page 2 of today's
edition of Yesteryears. I thought of you when I seen their profuse
apology. You may have been distracted by the various sump pumps
advertised on the front page and skipped over the next couple pages
thinking about water.
Went crappie fishing Tuesday and Wednesday. Only caught 6 crappies,
but probably 75 walleyes in the 3/4 - 4 lb. range. Did I already tell
you that? If I did, hope it was the same story.<<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Lee.
You are right, I do owe the Herald an apology. Unfortunatly, often the
Gazette "goes to print" before the daily edition of the Herald arrives.
==================================
"I may not always like what you tell me. However, I will always
appreciate it." GLM - GGP
==================================
Tomorrow, Lonnie Rae (Demester) Pederson you will celebrate your first
spanking. You will wake up in the morning and see a world better because
of the years you have spent on it. You will receive congratulations from
family and friends. Good luck and well wishes, Lonnie on your special
day. We're pleased for this reason so again we can say. Happy Birthday,
we love you, have a wonderful day. Aunt Patty and Uncle Gary.
==================================
C O N G R A T U L I O N S :
Julie and Terry Demester:
Eighteen years ago Monday, April 5 Julie and Terry said "I do". A
couple of moves, a couple of houses. A camper and boat and two wonderful
children later. They're still "doing" it together. Congratulations Julie
and Terry We love you, Aunt Patty and Uncle Gary.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
P.S. Thanks again Grand Forks residents for all your help, your
prayers and your concerns. Gary - GGP
P.P.S The water went down off McHugh Avenue over night. Western
Avenue between 4th and 3rd street is still under water.
P.P.P.S.
I not only invite, I encourage you to share your comments and concerns.
Gary


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: