Tuesday, April 13, 2004

April 13, 2004 - Tuesday

04/13/04 TUESDAY
(the only "almost" daily publication between the Grand Cities and the
Grand Hotel in Winnipeg.)
The temperature outside the Shivercity main office (spare bedroom) is
33 degrees. 1 degree above turning liquid to solid. The wind is calm and
the air is clean.
Today is national pass the buck day in Shivercity. It's a day set
aside so those acting irresponsible can claim the fault lie's somewhere
else.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible"
==================================
It's spring cleanup time in Grafton, and I suspect, most other towns
as well. Several crews throughout the community can be seen raking and
scraping, scratching and patching. While stuffing trucks full of grass
and dead leaves.
The list of power equipment designed to rob lawns of it's ability to
fend for itself is almost endless. I'm not for a second suggesting lawns
not be groomed and cleaned. I might, however, suggest that some are
taking their spring lawn cleaning to a level Mother Nature never
intended.
If North American agriculture utilized the same agronomic practices
some folks use on their lawns. A loaf of bread would sell for the same
price as a Subaru.
A light raking to stand the grass up so it can dry and not rot, is a
good thing. To rip it out by the roots and fill up trucks with it is a
bad thing. To get lose leaves, dead grass, Hardy's cups, and Pizza Hut
boxes off the lawn, is a good thing. Removing a lawns natural buildup of
thatch is, often, a bad thing.
One of the biggest "booms" to hit the lawn care market was the
increased interest in golf. Golfers all (at least some) know that in
order to have a healthy, well groomed, golf course. You need to rake,
mow, fertilize, mow, ver-ti-cut, mow water and fertilize, core, top
dress and water, apply fungicide, mow, water and fertilize, top dress,
fertilize, water and mow, apply insecticide, fertilize water some more
and mow. While "talk gently" to the grass. Or, the golf course goes to
pot (not the kind you smoke)
In a nutshell. If you remove the entire thatch layer, from a healthy
lawn. The first application of fertilizer is usually spent replenishing
that layer. And so it is.
==================================
Thank you Glenn for sharing your message with me. I've spent two years
trying to describe my hopes and intentions for the Gazette. I think your
single exchange with Mike covers it in one message. I have read your
exchange several times. I found it very interesting. It answers several
questions I, and others, have asked over the past while.
I would really like to share the notes you and Mike exchanged, with the
group. I've tried sending the Gazette to Mike but evidently his
"firewall" doesn't allow Shivercity babble to get through. If you allow
my request. That would be wonderful. If not, I will understand and
continue to honor your wishes. Gary
==================================
Writing a major publication, such as the Gazette, often requires a lot
of research. To that "end" I find myself spending a fair amount of time
in the Shivercity Library. Yesterday (Monday for those that don't read
it daily) I mentioned the relative importance, and the proper
positioning of the rim of the water closet. (Toilet lid, to the younger
folks) I'll admit my mailbox didn't get packed with responses, although
I did receive a few.
I would like to share one that refers to some of my "closer" family
members.
The note said; >>>Gary, I couldn't miss sending you a note on your
comment regarding the toilet seat. I believe that if you take the time
to converse with your wonderful daughter Kelly and her fine husband
David you will get all kinds of ideas of who should do what in that
area. One night I was up town with my husband Tom and we ran into David
and as we were visiting that very subject came up. David convinced me
that he had Kelly trained to put the seat up after she was finished and
that she does this by habit now and it works very well in their home.
Well I told David that in our home Tom is the one who needs to make sure
the seat is down and David said that was just ridiculous so he called
Kelly so I could talk to her and she said "yup, I do that for him". It
was just a few seconds before I knew that I was on the receiving end of
their joke - so trust me on this - those two will have it all figured
out for you. Have a great Day. Mary<<<
Thanks you Mary, for caring and sharing. I might add, Mary, being the
wife of a local plumber, should be well versed in the proper positioning
of a water closet lid.
Perhaps another topic, for a different day. Should charmin unroll from
the top or the bottom? Personally I prefer the top.
==================================
It sounds to me like the probability of any kind of flood protection
for the Grafton community is a "done deal". It isn't going to happen.
It's time to dump all the sand bags and get on with those things or
community will need to comply with those federal regulations regarding
the establishment of a bedroom community.
-------------------------
Welcome Cece Gladue, to the Shivercity Gazette family. Ce has
expressed interest in representing a portion of our community in the
upcoming election. I wish her well.
Ce wrote; Thank You for your help yesterday...it was greatly
appreciated......I felt it was given in the true spirit of kindness
through being a good neighbor. I would like to share the news that I was
successful in getting my name on the ballot for this June 8th election.
As I was sharing what you had done to help me yesterday, I was told
about your Shivercity Gazette...Please add me to your family.
thank you Cece Gladue<<<
What more can I say? Gary
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: