Monday, April 19, 2004

April 19, 2004 - Monday

04/19/04 MONDAY grp4
The present temperature is 40 degrees and our official rain gauge
registered .42 inches of rain.
The forecast for Monday calls for spring like temperatures.
Monday is Shivercity Imagination day. Every citizen should imagine how
good our community could really be.
Unfortunately, imagination won't fill the holes in the streets. That
takes blacktop and hard work.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible"
==================================
Pat and I motored to the Grand Cities Mall Saturday. We ate dinner in
the Mall and toured all the tables and booths set up for the days event.
Whenever we leave home. I look forward to seeing, or learning something
new. Saturday would turnout to be no exception.
As we passed the center of the Grand Cities Mall, former mayor Pat
Owens was speaking. The sound system wasn't entirely compatible with my
hearing system so I'm not sure what she said. When Pat Owens finished
speaking, she introduced Marilyn Hagerty.
In case you don't know, Pat Owens is short, not tall, built low to the
ground, like a dike. Needless to say, because she is so short. The mic
she was using was set down as low as it could be.
Anyway, as Marilyn stood up and started toward the mic, I learned the
she (Marilyn) is much taller than the former Grand Cities Mayor. Dressed
in a bright "spring colored" outfit, I might say, Marilyn looked
stately, impressive, with notes in hand and prepared to address the
crowd.
Then I learned, chivalry was not a common practice of modern mayors.
As Marilyn stood in front of a mic stand, several feet below her
stature. One hand full of notes, and, with the other trying to raise the
mic. Mayors Brown and Stauss, both sat staring, motionless, almost like
the dike might break again. I couldn't hear what Marilyn said as she
looked at the Mayors. If, she said anything at all. If she didn't, a
"well you dumb dungbirds, aren't you going to help me?" Would have been
no less than appropriate. Anyway, as both leaders of the Grand Cities
sat there smiling, in case there were cameras. (Once again, the
Salvation Army came to the rescue.)
Major Dave Dalberg, got up and raised the mic for Marilyns
presentation.
So what did I learn, you ask? I learned I still get dizzy and confused
in crowds, big town mayors make mistakes too. And, I learned Gordie
Stark was right again. He always said. "when ever anything needed to get
done. The only outfit that could do it, right. Was the Salvation Army."
==================================
I found Ryan Bakkens column in Sundays Herald (Cigarettes, sand, glass
are no match for Mr. Street Sweeper) very interesting and well written.
If I could have changed, or added one element. It would have been the
picture. I would have preferred a "clearer" picture of Mike, Ryans main
subject. OKAY,...I'll admit I am a bit biased. The individual Ryan wrote
about happens to be "our" nephew. A man anyone would be extremely proud
to call a friend. Mike Roufs might well be the kind of person God
intended when he made this earth. He's "top shelf" in any vernacular.
Mike was just a boy when his father (Clem) died. Yet Mike took what he
had learned from his father, and, with his mother, Elsie (Demester)
Roufs guidance. He shared experiences and nurtured his younger brothers
and sisters to adulthood. Individuals, anyone would be proud to claim as
family.
Ryans article mentions Mikes 32 year career. In reality, it's much
longer. While still in school, Mike spent time working for his
Grandfather Ray Demester, on the Grafton Street Department.
Thank you Ryan Bakken, for a great article. Thank you also for
featuring a wonderful person. It's men like Mike Roufs that make this
country what it is today. And, it's folks like Ryan Bakken, that share
them with the rest of us.
==================================
Speaking of the Grand Forks Herald. I'm sure I'm not the only one that
wonders why the Gaither organization is advertizing a concert in Sundays
paper with a Saturday October 9 date.
I have always enjoyed the Gaither television shows and hope some day
Pat and I will be able to attend one in person. If, this should be the
event. I'd hate to be there on the wrong day. Or so it seems.
==================================
IT'S ALL RELATIVE:
Dan Crookston shared the gallon cost of a few items with me. I think it
was meant to put the price of gas in proper perspective.
Diet Snapple, according to Dan costs $10.32 cents a gallon.
Gatorade and ocean spray juice about the same, Dan says.
Vicks Nyquil runs $178.13 a gallon and Pepto Bismal is a steel at
$123.20 a gallon. Dan claims Evian water is $21.19 and I'm not sure if
that's with or without the jug.
I noticed he didn't even mention the cost of a gallon of flood water
but I'd guess it's up there with Pepto Bismal.
I do know that at todays Sand Rancher, bargin basement, gas prices.
It's going to cost about 23 cents to move the "cruiser" down the road a
mile. That's a nickel more than last year, and we haven't even finished
saving some countries yet.
==================================
I really do like the weather page better when it's on the back page of
a section any section. I received a weather comment I'd like to share;
>>>Weather:
You can feel lucky Gary. Down here we have no use for a weather page. It
is always the same. "sunny and HOT". Hope to check out the fishing at
Lake of the Woods this summer, maybe see you there. GARY DELANO JOHNSON
<<<
Thanks for sharing Gary. If your looking for a great place on the Lake
of the Woods to eat, There are none better than Arnesen's Rocky Point.
If you need a launch and driver to take you out to the "big ones". Paul
and Mark Arnesen are super names to remember. (WARNING, don't let Jack
take you out in the last boat he bought, It's a little bitty bugger)
About the weather, you may be living in "dry heat" country, but always
remember one thing. That's the same kind of heat we cook turkeys
with,... in the Valley. Or so it seems to me.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.