Monday, April 19, 2004

April 19, 2004 - Monday

04/19/04 MONDAY grp 3
The present temperature is 51 degrees under a mostly sunny sky. The
wind is out of the SSE at 8 MPH giving us a hint of a chance of rain.
This is Shivercity adopt a hole in the street week.
==================================
L O C A L N E W S
Another Shivercity subscriber, and, Grafton native makes the front
page of the biggest daily paper between Fargo and Winnipeg.
Well, not really the front front page. Or for that matter the second
front page. The irony is, the featured individual is featured on the
front page of the Teen Page section. Yup, (that's Norwegian for Holy
smokers she sure looks young in that picture) Paula Tweten Loendorf is
pictured in what is suggested to be "about" 1963 prom attire.
The dress Paula was wearing, as did the rest of the girls featured on
the page, resembles a dress suitable for weddings. I'm wondering if
maybe that's part of the "prom thing". To get boys used to standing
alongside girls in Prom/wedding dresses. Proms tend to afford young boys
a super opportunity to get used to buying flowers and opening doors for
their sweethearts.
Congratulations Paula, I bet you never thought your prom picture would
make the front page, of the teen page section, of the Grand Forks
Herald. Or so it seems.
==================================
READING WRITING RINDAEG:
For those of you wondering how I get by sending out the Gazette with
errors and misspelled words. The following note from Donald Johnson (The
Wakeman Ave. just north of the river Donald Johnson) might give you an
idea. Don wrote; THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
frist
and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and
you
can
sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.<<<<
Thanks Don, for sharing this accumulation of letters. I hope the fact
that I could actually read it. Doesn't mean I have to go back to fishing
in the Fjords.
==================================
I will share one last note on our earltier toilet paper survey. The
following note, from an individual that's handled as much of it as
anyone, Wally DeSautel wrote;
Hi gary
I waited til now on the toilet paper issue as I did not want to give a
point of view on such a big issue, without a lot of thought.
At 2:30 am this morning I made my big decision.... It should be on the
top, no doubt about it, period.
For the folks my age, most will agree that the rough pages in the
monkey ward catalog went first. Another item I remember very well is the
garbage man never saw any any fruit wrapings, from peaches or pears as
they were saved for other purposes. I feel for the young people as they
missed so much.
Getting older Wally<<< Thanks Wally, for sharing.
Fortunatly I never had to use the Mongomery Ward catalog. I do remember
the peach and pear wrappers however. They worked well too, if memory
serves. Except for the ones that were wrapped around the "crushed ones".
I seem to remember them as being a tad "sticky". Or so it seems to me.
==================================
It's always fun saying nice things about nice people. It's wonderful
when we hear positive things about the business people we share our
community with. Such is the case with the following note from Barb
(Burns) Dusek. Barb wrote; Gary - you were talking about Landowski
Furniture the other day and I had an experience there that I should
share. I stopped in to look at pictures for my house. I wanted to buy
two or three but there were five or six that I liked. Julie (who I did
not know before then) told me I could take them all home and try them.
She only needed my name....no credit card or check....which I offered. I
returned all but three, and when I was paying for them she gave me
another 10% discount! One I didn't even ask for. I was very impressed.
Barb Dusek<<<
Thanks Barb, for caring and sharing. Our community is full of simulare
stories of great businesses willing to serve. Not the least of which is,
your employer, First United Bank. If more people, would spend more time
sharing Graftons positive attributes. Every financial institution in
town would have more depositors. And who knows, The Shivercity Gazette
may even pick up another subscriber or two.
Or so it seems to me.
==================================
The last week of April is "Our" Annual City of Grafton Spring Clean-up
week. That is to say. Everyone MUST have all their junk out on the
street NO LATER than Sunday April 25th. Then, sometime in the next five
days GMU crews will load it up and haul it away. Every year I wonder how
"they" decide what "they" will pick up and what "they" won't. They
"will" pick up old bikes and grills, but NOT appliances. They "will"
pick up televisions and humidifier, but NOT tires or paint cans.
Wouldn't it be great if "We" and "They" were the same people?
Or so it seems to me.
==================================
HAPPY BIRTHDAY == DENISE MOE
Tuesday, our youngest daughter (in-law) will celebrate the anniversary
of her birth. Her actual birthdate will remain a secret. It's never nice
to devulge a ladies age. So I will not break tradition. Besides, I'm
beginning to think yearly birthdays are getting closer together every
year. Maybe birthdays should be celebrated in groups. Groups of ten
would work. Then, a ladies age wouldn't sound as old. Denise, for
instance, would only be three on Tuesday.
Happy Birthday Denise,... we love you,... and, your husband,... and
your twins.
Gary & Patty
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: