Monday, January 08, 2007

January 8, 2007 - Monday in Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you by the City of Ardoch. Unfortunately,
they don't have any money to hire law enforcement protection. I guess
they're gonna ask folks to behave on their own.
----------------------
The current temperature is 15 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 31/5
Normal H/L temp for this date is 15/-5
The forecast for the rest of the week is for winter, and, "winter like"
weather for the rest of the week.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance visible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Some "may" have noticed the last few editions of the Gazette was/were
printed using invisible ink. The reason being, Pat and I, along with
Kelly - our first born - went to Aberdeen, SD for a few days, so....
grandma, grandpa and mom could inspect (and approve) Tiffany's (our
eldest granddaughter) new living quarters.
Although it was our first visit, and, much to short from mom &
grandma's prospective, we found Aberdeen to be a very nice, reasonably
small - by big town standards - community of approx. 25,000 friendly
folks.
If you happen to find yourself hungry and in the vicinity of Aberdeen
at the same time. I can personally recommend the Millstone Restaurant
for super family type dinning. If, on the other hand, your looking for a
steak the Saints would lie for. Try the Flame in down town Aberdeen.
After spending a couple days in Aberdeen getting acquainted with the
area, neighbors, and mom and grandma putting their 'finishing touches'
on Tiffy's new home. We left for home confident that all is well, life
is good,... and so is Aberdeen, SD.
------------------------
It seems no-matter where I go, or how long I stay, (except Rocky Point)
it's always good to get back home. It was fun walking into Granny's this
morning and seeing "our" Ohio Fox Hunting friends talking over the
strategy for the days hunt. For some reason, as I walked in, something
seemed a little different than it usually does.
First, I asked how the tracking and hunting was during my absence, and
the answer to that was great. Then, for some reason, still thinking
something seemed different this morning in Granny's Family Restaurant. I
sat down in my usual spot. There certainly was something unusual. As
soon as I sat down I noticed Jerry Raumin sitting there with his jacket
zipped right up to his chin. Chris Thompson was shaking like he'd
already lost for breakfast. Bruce Eikenberry's hand was shaking worse
than mine, and, he didn't even have the dice box in it. Don Hutson said
it was warmer walking uptown. Keith Bjorneby mentioned something about
hoping the potatoes didn't freeze and Donny LaBerge thought his Crosely
has a better heater in it than Granny's. All that, should have been a
good indication that something really was different this morning.
However, it wasn't until Tuffy, (Norma) said it was going to take 6
minutes to cook a 3 minute egg that I realized the furnace wasn't
working and it was colder than heck in there. (Yup, that's a real bona
fide oxymoron if I ever heard one)
Anyway, someone else thought it was colder than the back end of a well
digger, and the guy behind me said it was so cold his nose was running
"quicker than he could lick it". Then,... wouldn't you know it, Billy
DeSautel walked in and said,.... "well, I see they, finally, turned the
heat down." And so it goes.
------------------------
I read in the Walsh County Records 50 years ago column that Sheriff
Orville Olson appointed Norbert Hanson of Grafton chief deputy sheriff.
Olson was deputy sheriff until he won election over Frank Duray.
-------------------------
I enjoy reading newspapers, especially those newspapers with lots of
pictures because they're easier to understand. It seems there's getting
to be more and more things in papers I don't understand.
For instance. Why would a beet grower from Drayton buy and
advertisement in the Walsh County Record wanting to rent ACSC shares
for 2007 and beyond? When he knows full well, or certainly should, that
it is against the law to "rent" ACSC shares. I'll be darned if I know.
----------------------
I notice Friendship, Inc. is looking for a
person to fill a "Manager Position" in the Grafton Area. It didn't come
with a picture however, and I'm wondering, if it did,... would Joey
(goober) be in that picture somewhere?
-----------------------
Even tho' Pat and I were gone for a few days, the subscription
department wasn't closed. I found the following note when we got home.
>>> Hi Gary,
Delores (Mohagen) Fast told me you send information out about Grafton
and I'd love to get on your email list. I was home about 5 years ago
and am planning to come back again this summer. I'm retired from
teaching now so it's easier. Thank you.
Ruthann Mlcoch <<<
Thank you, Ruthann. We are pleased to welcome you to the Gazette family
and hope that you will find reason to share of part of your world with
us from time to time. It will be great to have you back to help
celebrate Grafton's 125 anniversary this summer.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
P.S.
If you've ever wondered, if anybody has ever wondered, where you are
and what your doing. Why not send us a note and let them know?


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: