Monday, January 15, 2007

January 15, 2007 - Monday in Grafton, ND

==== REALLY EARLY EDITION ====
Todays Gazette is brought to you by the brand new look of the Grafton
area Chamber of Commerce Channel 3
-----------------------
The current temperature is -17 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 9/-16
Normal H/L temp for this date is 14/-5
When I woke up Saturday morning. The temperature outside, was 60
degrees,.... colder than the milk in our refrigerator.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance visible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
I really like the "new" local channel 3 format. I've always believed
advertising pays. Evidently Menards also agrees with me. Just the other
day, Menards sent one of their pickups loaded with "merchandise" and
parked it on Hill Avenue (main street) right in front of Barb's property
management office. Obviously, for anyone that didn't know better, they
would almost have to believe that the folks from Barb's Property
Management were promoting the idea of "their" tenants "saving BIG money
at Menards."
Of course, it should be mentioned. If enough local folks bought into
that idea. Barb's Property Management wouldn't have any people to move
into the property that they manage.
Mind you, I'm not suggesting in any way, that Barb's Property
Management had anything to do with the Menard's truck, loaded with
supplies, parking in front of their office for several hours. It could
well have been one of Menard's latest Corporate plans to send a truck
down here and advertise "purely by association." Or so it seems to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OKAY,.. so I changed my mind. The other day I received a note that
bothered me more than a little. Certainly, that's what it was intended
to do. At first I decided not to share it with everyone and so only
shared it with my family and hunter friends. Now I've changed my mind.
Today, I will send the note, and, my initial response. Tomorrow I'll
share a couple messages that are more indepth, precise and
representative of the caliber of folks from Ohio I have come to refer to
as "Our" Ohio Fox Hunters.
The original note and the first installment, as sent to close family.
>>>
I received the following note from a disgruntled Gazette member.
After pondering his "barbs" a minute. I decided I would answer him
directly, rather than thru the remaining 4,500 (innocent) Gazette
membership.
If you feel I am in error, please let me know. >>>>> HE WROTE >>>>
Gary
I would like to know just how much does a "Ohio killing for fun fox
hunters" have to pay for a out of state license. Probably not
enough! Don't they have any fox in Ohio, or did they kill them all
off.
Tom
==============
I responded with the following. >>>>
Thanks for the note Tom,.... I think.
I suspect that my Hunting Friends from Ohio pay the State of North
Dakota the going rate for the right to hunt here. Much the same as the
state of Minnesota charges me for KILLING fish in their state when I go
there to fish. Likewise, I'm sure, North Dakota charges Minnesotans, or
folks from any other state, the going rate for them to go to Devils Lake
and KILL fish there as well.
Tom, I'm not sure, that I completely understand the inference of
your message. At first glance it appears to me to be absolutely and
completely vindictive. Then again, maybe, I have misunderstood your
intentions. Personally, I couldn't force myself to hunt anything with a
gun. For some reason, however, I am able to "KILL" fish with a fish
hook.
Over the years I have met many folks that have tried to
convince me that "KILLING" any living being is wrong, and, that
certainly may be true. Of course, often, while those same folks are
telling me we shouldn't KILL. They're slapping (KILLING) mosquitoes,
flies, rats, mice, lice, and or a multitude of other living creatures
that inhabit our world.
I think it has been written. "Let he without fault, cast the first
stone, and, let he with fault, help pull the stone boat home to build
fences to keep unwanted critters out."
Or something like that.
Thanks again Tom, from your fish KILLING friend to the
north. Gary Moe
+++++++
Tomorrow I'll share "our" Hunter Friends side of the story.
----------------------
------------ NOW THEN ----------
We're looking for Clarence Madland.
Dear Gary,
I surely have been appreciating receiving your Shivercity
Gazette...a very worthy avocation.
My sister, Joy, and I are writing a book about our uncle, Vernon
Ellingson, of Grand Forks, ND ( a brother of our mother's) who served in
World War II as a private first class in the Army. During the service
years, he wrote many letters home, and we have 300 of them, both to his
parents and to our parents in Grafton.
In one of the letters, he refers to a Sergeant Clarence Madland who
was at Camp Barkeley with him, and who was originally from Park River
and single, Lutheran, and Norwegian (just like our uncle was).
Anyway, in searching the death index, I found him listed as having died
at Grafton in September of 1986 at the age of 77. Would you be so
kind as to ask people if they would know him, and, if so, if they have
any biographical data on him, like whether he was married, what he did
for a living, whether he had any children, and what kind of a person he
was.
We would really appreciate any help you might be able to give us.
Kind regards,
Rosanne and Joy Bliss <<< Thanks for the note Rosanne. There is a
chance someone out there remembers Clarence. Maybe one of our funeral
homes could give some insight as well.
-------------------------
If I hadn't read the Grand Forks Herald Sunday, I would never have
known that Chip Shereck (1990 GHS) and Tammy Jo Pesch would soon be
putting their feet under the same breakfast table. January 26 as a
matter of fact. Chip is the son of Diane Shereck and the late John
Shereck.
====== CONGRATULATIONS ======
Tammy Jo Pesch and Chip Shereck
From the Patti & Gary Moe family tree,
and, from the entire Moe gene pool.
-------------------------
I am SADDENED to report the passing of a long time friend, neighbor
and wonderful person. Frank Kubesh passed away at the Lutheran Sunset
Home. From the first day Frank Kubesh and Gladys Watkins met, something
very special happened. He not only fell in love with a wonderful women,
he fell in love with a fantastic family as well. Frank was an
exceedingly kind and gentle man. A soft spoken individual with
significant respect and staunch loyalty. I shall always remember Frank
as a giant of a man, in a small body. Likewise too his friendly smile
complete with a bright twinkle in his eye.
With our deepest sympathies and condolences to the Frank Kubesh family,
and God's speed to our friend Frank.
From Patti and Gary Moe
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: