Friday, January 12, 2007

January 12, 2007 - Friday in Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you in part, by the 2007 SummerFest. June
21thru23
AND Grafton's 125th Celebration.
----------------------
The current temperature is -19 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 25/-15
Normal H/L temp for this date is 14/-5
It's cold enough to go ice fishing in the water closet.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance visible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
I have always believed the Strand Theatre offers anything one could
hope for in a small town theatre. A few days ago, St. Thomas area
resident, Tom Kennelly, praised and shared his positive experiences at
the Strand Theatre with all of the Gazette membership.
I am very pleased to share the following note again with regards to the
Strand Theatre. >>> Hi, Gary!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the Honorable Mention of our humble little
theatre in your Shivercity Gazette!
I will certainly be printing it out for Tom to see (and probably
frame), and I know he will appreciate it more than words can say.
Tom and I celebrated Four Magical Years on December 10th, which
means I can pretty safely say I joined the Strand Staff about 4 years
and 3 months ago. That time has passed like a blink, but I can
guarantee he still leaves me speechless. The dedication he has to
that theatre is exceeded only by the size of his heart and his love for
the children that enter our doors.
It warms my heart tremendously to know that others see it as
clearly as I can, because I am blessed with a pretty exceptional vantage
point.
Keep on keeping on - we love the Gazette!
Gratefully,
Tammy Henriksen <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Tammy. Arlo would be very
proud of the way his son Tom caresses the operation of Grafton's oldest
movie house, The Strand Theatre.
-------------------------
Murphy's back again, and still in the same part of town. This time,
about mid-afternoon, "our" Volunteer Firefighters had a chance to haul
all of their equipment to the residence at 1402 Lavergne Avenue. I
haven't heard how all the smoke ended up in the garage or it's origin.
However, it wasn't long and the guys wearing hats with a Maltese Cross
on them were rolling up their hoses and heading back to the fire hall.
It seems crazy, but every time the weather conditions turn difficult,
"things" seem to start on fire.
+++++
Speaking of fire and Firefighters. This would be a great time to thank
Don Folson and Jake Jacobson for joining this years Grafton Area
Volunteer Firefighters Calendar Draw program. Thanks a million guys, I
gotta think it makes going out in below zero weather, with a water hose
in your hand a little easier when you know "that other folks really care
too."
Or, so it seems to me.
--------------------------
They left, with winds blowing up snow squalls making it difficult to
see. Because of that, our Fox Hunting Friends from Ohio decided it was
time for them to go home. They are truly an interesting group. They
don't come here to burn and pillage our land. They won't even walk on
anyones land unless they have permission. They are law abiding, God
fearing men that come to our area for a week or two expecting nothing in
return except the same respect every United States Citizen is entitled
to.
From Farmer to Gun Smith, County Agent to Railroad Engineer, it would
be extremely difficult, if even possible, to find a better group of
individuals to welcome into our community. They are gone for another
year, I will miss them, we will miss them, and, we'll be waiting for
their return again next fall.
---------------------------
The subscription department sent the following note and I must admit.
It did take awhile before I decided to share it with the group. After
you read it I'm sure you'll see what I mean. >>> Hi Gary,
The former Jo Ann Wentz and I have connected after many years of
not living in Grafton. She has been sending me your
newsletter, The ShiverCity Gazette. I have to admit, reading your
temperatures does make me shiver! I returned to Grafton in 2002 after
about 26 years of not visiting, not enough vacation time to do so
before then. However, I have been in California since 1964. Yes, I
saw a lot of changes but a lot of familiar faces. Grafton is
still home. In any event, I would love to be added to your e-mail
list for the "second" best publication around. You have to forgive
me for considering the GHS Alumni Newsletter is the best but when
it is in my mailbox I drop everything and read it word for word!
Tell Patty hi!
Keep warm and keep writing,
Annmarie Settingsgard <<<
Thanks a hundred Annmarie, we will be pleased to add you to the
membership list and welcome you to the Gazette family. Stay home nights,
work overtime weekends and plan on coming home and help us celebrate
Grafton's 125 year anniversary June 21, 22 & 23. I'm not exactly sure
whats being planned yet, but I'm guessing it'll be more fun than putting
Lyman Bjerken Crosely on the front steps of Central School. AND, with a
little luck, Don LaBerge will be successful in orchestrating (pardon the
pun) a city band for the momentous occasion. Maybe, they could even
practice in the basement of the former Fields Dry Cleaning building.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was on a Thursday, I remember it well. I was walking up and
down the Halls of St. Josephs Hospital counting floor tiles, door knobs,
and watching nurses running in and out of every room but the delivery
room. Dr Teevens walked by and said don't worry lad, I've never had one
refuse to come out yet, and into the labor room he went. I headed for
the fountain and, just as I was taking a drink, I heard Dr. Teevens
shout, "you better go get us some help, it won't be long now." Then
nurses seemed to come out of the woodwork, and, they were all heading
for the delivery room. I kept walking past the door hoping to hear
"something" on the other side. Then I took another drink, then I stood
by the nurses station, then another drink. Just then I heard a cry like
I've never heard before (it was our first born you know) and it sounded
like all hell was breaking loose in there. It sounded almost like
someone was fighting or something. (Joe Frazier was born that day in
1944)
Anyway, as I stood by the door listening, I could hear the nurses and
Pat talking, faster than (Rush Limbaugh 1951) normal and then I found
myself agreeing with Bobby Vee who was signing "Take Good Care of My
Baby on our local radio station KGPC.
Yup, it was a bit more than 24,193,900 minutes ago when Dr Teevens gave
our first daughter her first spanking and she joined 179,323,175 other
legal American Citizens.
--- HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Kelly Jean ---
Your Mother and Father love you very much.
P.S.
And, if I remember right, when I asked Dr. Teevens why it was necessary
for him to slap my little girl so hard. He replied, (tongue in cheek)
"because she's the reason I couldn't plan on going to the lake this
weekend." When I reminded him it was Thursday, he paused, then said,...
hummm. Dr. Teevens was our family Dr. for a good many years and we
thought the world of him. Gosh I miss seeing him come into MarketPlace
to eat on the weekends.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: