Wednesday, January 24, 2007

January 24, 2007 - Wednesday in Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you by the Valley Ambulance & Rescue
Service and the fantastic group of volunteers that make "VARS" possible.
-------------------------
The current temperature is 23 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 19/5
Normal H/L temp for this date is 15/-4
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance visible."
"To know what is right, and then not do it, is the worst form of
cowardice."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
The mention of small towns, their locations and great people, gave
Ralph reason to share the following. >>> Concerning Poland
ND, or any other missing town at least in our area: there is a good
chance it was 6 miles from another town that is still standing if it was
located along a railroad line. That is because the steam locomotives
needed to take on more water every 6 miles. That was the level of the
technology of the time. Notice Ardoch, Minto, Grafton, Auburn, St
Thomas, Glasston, Hamilton, Bathgate, Neche. There must have been a
water tower at least between Manvel and Ardoch. They are all 6 miles up
the track from the previous town. Also, Grafton, Nash, Hoople, etc, etc.
Of course there were the so-called "inland" towns like Mandt or Warsaw
with no railroad. They existed because if you look at the lay of the
tracks those areas were too far for the farmers to go for a general
store. Everything was hauled to those towns one wagon load at a time. It
was a long way to the elevator for those farmers - an 80 bushel wagon
load at a time. Shovelled on one scoop-shovel full a time.
I had a great aunt who homesteaded north of Moose Jaw Sa. She left early
in the morning with a wagon load of grain. Got to town and dumped it.
Headed home and got 1/2 there when she pulled into another farm to spend
the night. Always had her rifle by her side because the wolves followed
her all the way there and back.
Sorry to hear about Glenn Kerr. A lot of the reason for American
Crystal's success can be attributed to people like Glenn. Always did his
job right.
Ralph Kingsbury <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Ralph. It's
my understanding that it wasn't only the railroad engines that required
water at regular intervals, but also, that the 5 to 7 mile distance
between communities (10 to 14 round trip) was a reasonably good days
jaunt for a team and wagon as well.
==================================
Folks in and around the Grafton area shouldn't have a problem finding
a place to take on nourishment this week.
FRIDAY: the Heritage Village Fish Fry starting at 5 til gone at
Generations (the former Eagles Nest)
SATURDAY: the Joanie Silewski benefit Spaghetti Dinner, Sundae, Bake
Sale and auction at MarketPlace on 8th, 4 til 9
Sunday: TRI-COUNTY CRISIS Interventions - SOUPer Bowl Sunday. Featuring
a Super Selection of SOUP's and assorted goodies. Serving 11 to 1:30 at
St. John's Parish Center on the south end of Western Avenue in Grafton.
-----------------------
Glenn Kerr was not only a significant influence on me and my
profession. He left a lasting impression on the rest of my family as
well. Our daughter Wendy wrote to following about Glenn. >>>
Dad, I know I have told you over the years my love for Glenn. But I
must tell you when I would see him in a store which WASN'T often over
the last several years... he would make my heart jump....like ALL the
guys you worked with over the years, he treated us like family. My
heart is very heavy and sad tonight and in a strange way happy for those
he will be with now, with his chuckle. I remember Glenn and Vicky coming
to our house to visit and I remember her being so quiet...I still can
point out in my cupboard which crystal bowl they gave us for a wedding
present.. As my girls get older I realize that my family is different,
in the way that your co-workers were, and for the most part, STILL, are
a big part of our lives.
When I mentioned Glenns passing to my daughters, with tears in my
eyes, they wanted to know how I knew him and after explaining that you
worked with him they looked at me a little strangely and said... thats
it,... he was grandpa's friend! For which I guess in a way I am thanking
you now for including us kids in your work and letting us be friends,
with yours......
I love both <<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Wendy.
My Webster dictionary describes "family", as 1. household 2. parents
and their children 3. relatives 4. all those descended from a common
ancestor, lineage 5. a group of similar or related things. I have
learned over time, that the closer one comes to belonging in all 5, the
easier it is, to fashion ones dash.
----------------------
Again this year, as in the past. Several individuals are purchasing
Grafton Area Volunteer Firefighters Calendar Draw tickets in the name of
numerous deserving organizations and charities. When you think of it,
it's a super way of contributing and benefiting more than one function
at the same time.
That explains why, throughout the days and weeks of the drawing, you
might see a winner listed, as an example, Lutheran Sunset Home --
Courtesy of Ron LaMont.
My sincere thanks goes out to Ione and Wally this week for purchasing
ten tickets in the Firefighters name.
-----------------------
I am pleased to welcome Don (Bim) Swartz to the Gazette family. Not
only is Don the insurance agent/owner of DSI, he is our just across the
street neighbor.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
P.S.
Bill & Don, please let me know if this one makes it through.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: