Monday, January 29, 2007

January 29, 2007 - Monday in Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you, in spite of it's inequities.
---------------------
The current temperature is 6 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 17/-17
Normal H/L temp on this date is 17/-3
We are presently under a "winter weather advisory".
If yesterday wasn't the coldest day of the year,.... it sure felt like
it.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
What a difference a day makes.... I think there was a song with a
title like that. Then too, there's "What a difference a word makes". I
don't think there was a song like that. I am sure, however, that often a
word certainly does make a difference.
Take the word "not" for instance. According to Webster, the word 'not'
is an elementary expression of negation. Obviously, I'm not in any
position to dispute Webster about anything. Certainly 'not' about the
definition of the word 'not'.
However, when I sent out a note from Sue Matcha, Walsh County Records
Social Editor, the other day I inadvertently "omitted" a 'NOT'. SO,....
let me set "my record" (pardon the pun) straight byinserting a "NOT" in
the proper spot.
Sue said, and, I should have sent. >>>The Record still provides many
"FREE SERVICES" to our readers. We do "NOT" charge for obituaries or
wedding, engagement, new arrival and first birthday announcements as
many other area newspapers now do. <<<
Please forgive me Sue, for not putting the 'not' in the proper spot.
----------------------
Rumor has it that the former Gillespie Meat Market building is off the
market again. Most of us remember Gillespie's as the main street meat
market owned and operated by the two butchers named Butch. Then Mark
McGregor purchased the business and but his mark on the butchers block
(pardon the pun). Then Mark "moved on" and the building was taken over
by the Grandy Travel Agency. Now, if the rumor is correct, Grandy's
Travel Agency will make way for yet another kind of agency. We can only
hope the "new owner" has travel insurance. (That too, may or may "not"
be a pun)
Or, so it seems to me.
-------------------------
===== HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! =====
It seems like only yesterday that Dr. J. R. Gaustad celebrated his
birthday. It wasn't, however, because his birthday is TODAY, Monday
January 29.
Happy Birthday Dr. Gaustad. You don't look a day older, than you did a
year ago when you celebrated the anniversary of you birth.
------------------------
So far, I haven't heard the results from any of the benefits held in
our community over the weekend. I'd be very surprised if most folks
aren't interested in knowing.
Once again, I must extend my families sincere gratitude to Susan
(Hagen) Corneillie and the entire staff of Market Place on 8th for
opening their hearts and facilities for the benefit of so many.
Often, I'm afraid, folks forget the significant cost and burden
incurred when places like the MarketPlace donate their time, talents and
their facilities for so many "worthwhile" community functions.
It would behoove us all to remember how important the MarketPlace is to
"our" area, when we are looking for a place to dine or entertain.
--------------------------
Speaking of benefits, participation and gratitude. We would like to
express our sincere appreciation to Susan Conway for participating in
this years Annual Grafton Area Volunteer Firefighters Calendar Drawing.
Thanks a million Susan, for helping our local firefighters be all they
can be. Your 2007 Grafton Firefighters Drawing ticket is in the mail.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"If you don't tell me, I won't know. If I don't know, I won't tell
you."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: