Thursday, October 05, 2006

October 5, 2006 - Thursday

Todays Gazette is brought to you by the 2006 St. John the Evangelist
Church annual fall dinner.
---------------------
The current temperature is 37 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 60/32
Normal H/L temp for this date is 62/38
Sugarbeet growers are hoping for more realistic fall weather for the
rest of the week.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
Although I didn't specifically say that I was surprised at the decision
the county commissioners made regarding the speed bumps in Voss in
yesterdays Gazette. Or, that it "appears" as though the commissioners
obvious paucity of concern for safety seems evident. I wish I had.
Obviously, in light of the following note, I am not the only one
concerned.
Keith wrote; >>> Dear Gary;
Your thoughts on the Voss speed bump were quite timely. I was driving
beet truck last night through Voss when all of sudden the road was
covered with about a foot of freshly dumped sugarbeets. There was a car
stopped in the middle of the mess, and I am sure they didn't know what
to do. These bumps make the back end of the trucks jump, and, causes the
endgates to pop open. It also seems to do the same for gravel trucks, as
there was a nice pile of gravel, on the east speed bump, that had
dropped earlier in the day. This is not the first, nor will it be the
last time this will happen. I realize that there has been a speed
problem since the tracks were removed in Voss. However, I would think
that the county could use the revenue generated by some justly deserved
speeding tickets, rather than having county employees out picking up
beets in the middle of the night. These speed bumps have to go! I have
seen county vehicles, school busses, Voss residents, and just about
every truck and car that goes through the bumps, drive halfway down the
ditch to avoid them. Last night three people had to risk their life to
stand out on a dark road and scrape and kick beets off of the road. I
would hope that our county commissioners would reconsider their decision
on this matter! Thanks for letting me vent. Keith Bjorneby
<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Keith. We should all hope,
for the safety of everyone involved, that Walsh County Commissioners
reconsider their decision on such an important issue ASAP.
"Sometimes the very best intentions, are not the best solutions."
Or so it seems to me.
----------------------
We have already received an answer to the status of former mayor Fred
Starks apartment complex behind the Pizza Hut.
Tami Egeland wrote: >>> Hi Gary! As of July 1, I took over managing the
Grafton Living Center, which is now owned by a Mr. Bill Clanton (no, not
Clinton) out of Colorado.
MetroPlains Management out of St. Paul is the company I work for, and
yes we also own/manage Hancock Place and Villa DeRemer, as well as many
other properties in the midwest.
The Grafton Living Center is in need of MUCH attention, and I'm proud to
say the new owner will be having it looking ship shape by spring! They
will remain 1 bedroom apartments, but if I get my way with the
renovation plans, there will be patio doors in each apartment so the
folks can enjoy the backyard. There will be garages built too! Wonderful
senior citizens living there right now, and they deserve the
improvements! <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Tami. I'll be
surprised if you don't get your way. And, those tenants are within easy
walking distance of "our" completely renovated Pizza Hut.
++++
So far no response from City Hall to the question on "recycling". Then
again, maybe there wasn't anyone at City Hall yesterday.
------------------------
I found the next note from Rod Glennen most refreshing. He wrote: >>>
Subject: Thoughts of a 5 year old
Greetings from Chandler, Az.
High for today 97 Low 71 forecast for the weekend High 89 low 63
I thought I would share something my 5 year old grandson said a
couple of weeks ago when I was watching him. We were watching tv and
Leave it to Beaver came on. My grandson looked at me and said "grandpa
Rod, there's no color". So I told him that Leave it to Beaver was filmed
when grandpa was a little boy and that they didn't have colored tv
back then. He thought for a few minutes then looked at me with
a puzzled look and said "grandpa Rod,.. was there color outside?"
Love the Gazette keep up the good work, Rod <<< Thanks a million Rod.
grandchildren are not only special for who they are, they are precious
for what they are. Besides Rod, it's still not unusual to run into folks
that only see things in black and white. Like the speed bump issue for
instance.
-------------------
I'm not sure how this next one ended up here in the fashion it did.
Then again, I guess the most important thing is, it did end up here. >>>
John Maxwell wrote; Please send Judy's reminder to everyone
From: "Judy Keeley" Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 8:59 AM
Subject: RE: SKEETERVILLE GAZETTE
Gary - Just a note to remind everyone that St. John's Dinner is this
Sunday, October 8 from 11:00 am till 4:00 pm. We promise you great food
and delicious pies. A cake walk and fish pond will be held to keep the
kids happy. Take out orders for shut-ins and your harvest crews are
available by calling 352-0499. Show your workers you appreciate all
their hard work. Judy Keeley- Co-Chair St. John's Dinner <<< Thanks a
million John and Judy. As a point of interest, I've noticed that many
area churches have renamed their "Fall Supper" events and now refer to
them as Fall Dinners. I'm not sure if that's because the hours are
actually closer to dinner then supper. Or, if we want people to feel a
bit more like the folks from south of St. Paul. Either way, ones thing
is for certain. You won't be disappointed when you attend St. Johns Fall
Harvest Feed and Festivities.
And please don't forget to thank God and "our" armed forces, for the
privilage of freedom we all can enjoy.
--------------------
Linda wrote: Hi Gary,
You have a note from Cindy about losing teenagers to car accidents. Just
wondering what community she is referring to? Didn't think I heard of
any locally, but sometimes I get out of the loop.
Thanks,
Linda <<< Thank you for caring and sharing Linda. You certainly are
right Linda. You didn't hear of any such tragedy in "our" area,...
lately. Cindy's husband Bill is a member of the Ohio Fox hunting group
that spends a week or ten days in the Grafton area every fall. They, and
the rest of their group reside in northern Ohio. (gosh I hope I'm
geographically correct)
Anyway, we certainly are looking forward to seeing the group here again
this fall. Rumor has it, since they "discovered" the food at Graftons
MarketPlace on Eighth last year. They are even looking forward to eating
out a bit more often.
-------------------
Today is the day Ruth (Demester) Pederson celebrates the anniversary
of her birth. Ruth, isn't as young as she once was, nor nearly as old as
she will be. But she's seen the light, and has earned the right, to
enjoy the world as it should be.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ruth, we love you very much. From your aunt Patti and
Uncle Gary and our entire gene pool.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
"Sometimes the very best intentions, are not the best solutions." GLM
"If I had to do it all over again. Someone would have to remind me what
I did in the first place." GLM


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: