Wednesday, October 04, 2006

October 4, 2006 - Wednesday

---------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you by Unity Medical Center. A fantastic
place to go when your not feeling well.
---------------------
The current temperature is 39 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 72/42
Normal H/L temp for this date is 63/38
We received a trace of moisture over the past 24 hours.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
If your wondering what all the noise behind Pizza Hut is all about.
It's not coming from the Hut. Evidently Fred Stark sold his apartment
complex behind the Pizza Hut and the new owners are renovating the
facility. Rumor has it that the operation of that complex is tied in,
somehow, with the rental units on the grounds of the developmental
center. Of course, for now, that's the rumor. I'm hoping someone might
shed a brighter light on the story shortly.
---------------------
Speaking of renovating, building, improving, etc, etc. It's my
understanding that the proposed one percent increase in sales tax might
also create the need for new housing and or additional building
renovations. I am on record (Gazette, not Walsh County) as being in
favor of the proposed increase. Of course I am expecting the money will
be used wisely IN TOWN and for the benefit of all.
One use, as I see it, that should come before many, would be to find
ways to bring folks into town to fill the job openings that already
exist here. Although I'll admit it's somewhat of a feeble survey. I did
check out this weeks addition of the Weekly Source. (Some might still
remember it when it was the first edition of the "Bi-Weekly" Walsh
County Record,) now better known as 6 to 8 pages of advertising with a
few birthdays and area school menus thrown in to hold interest.
Anyway, that publication lists the need of a least 8 people in various
professions on a full time basis and no less than 12 on a part time
basis and that doesn't take into account the dozens of other full and
part time openings needed in "our" area, not listed in that paper.
If we are going to bring people into town to fill minimum wage
positions, as well as part time positions. We must, and I believe we
should, provide adequate, inexpensive, permanent housing for them. We
"must" give them a reason to live in "our" community and, we should
afford them the possibilities of improving their lives in the process.
Or,... so it seems to me.
-----------------------
Speaking of additional money to bring in additional business. I suspect
the following note will fit in there somewhere. >>>
Gary: Have you heard anything (@ Granny's or elsewhere) - about the
corner lot across from Mac's and kiddy-corner from Brad B's gas station
and/or what is actually going in there - or what or who own's the same?
Just wondering 'cuz it sure is an eye-sore when driving thru town. Be
nice to see it cleared and cleaned up - maybe get rid of the weeds, &
garbage that's lying all over the place; haul in some fill and level it
off - maybe? Seem's to me that the city would want it cleaned up - as it
surely doesn't do anything for the look's of Grafton as your driving
thru.
Have you and Patti gotten your fill of fish for the year? Now we
can go to St.John's on Sunday for some good food and
fellowship.........Later........ (don't use my name this time - ok) <<<
Thanks for caring and sharing. I'm guessing the next fish we catch will
be at MarketPlace on Friday night. I've been told the "feed" at St Johns
this coming Sunday will nothing short of heaven sent. And, I believe the
folks at Subway own the piece of property you speak of. There you have
it. And, I didn't use your name either.
---------------------
Speaking about silly things, and I am now. The speed bumps in Voss have
to rank right up there with Ear muffs on pumpkins. One would be
extremely hard pressed to find another method of increasing the already
significant undesirable noise levels from traffic going thru that small
community between Minto and Voss. Then too, I can't think of a more
professional way of destroying front end alignments, springs, rear-ends
(of trucks) and at the same time leaving an even more "unsafe" driving
surface than we are accustom to in the dead of winter.
I doubt I'm the first, and I'm sure I won't be the last. However, I
would like to go on record suggesting the speed bumps WILL cause a
significant problem. One I hope, everyone will be able to LIVE through.
The dangers those speed bumps present will, become even more pronounced
as harvest progresses. If it's true that the county commissioners plan
on removing them in November, and I was told they do. What on Gods green
earth could possibly change the need at that time? Could it possibly be
tied in with elections? I certainly hope not.
----------------------
First I must apologize for cutting and pasting. The next note came with
a suggestion that I not cut and paste and that I might paraphrase. I
did, I really did try come up with a better way of saying it, but I
couldn't. So with the authors name withheld upon request. The following
note posses real valid questions.
Some, I expect, we may hear answers to from City Hall. >>> The note
read, Gary
Please don't use my name for this e-mail.
I have thought for years that Grafton needs to do a better job of
recycling. Here's a crazy idea. If the city subsidized Friendship for
each household that recycled (so each household wouldn't have to pay the
$30 per month), maybe people would be more willing to recycle. If other
communities are finding recycling worthwhile, why can't Grafton? I know
the old excuses about the expense of transporting recycling, but aren't
we paying to transport our garbage? I understand someone has wanted to
start a recycling business on the southend of town for some time but
keeps running into roadblocks. Do you know anything about this? <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing. If you want to find the lack of
recycling at it's apex. Take a drive by the city lot across the street
from the "old" arena. That's where everyone dumps their trees, branches
and leaves. Truck loads, maybe train loads, of one hundred percent
recyclable material, heading for a dump ground somewhere. Thousands of
dollars worth of priceless compost, foolishly hauled to a dumpground.
I am also not aware of anyone, from either end of town, wanting to
start up a recycling business although that to may find an answer in
"our" City Hall.
---------------------
Please keep in mind, "I may not always like what you tell me. I will,
however, always appreciate it." GLM
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: