Monday, October 30, 2006

October 30, 2006 - Monday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you by, Dr. John W. Gorder.
---------------------
The current temperature is 36 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 55/20
Normal H/L temp for this date is 46/26
We are expecting the first really winter like weather conditions this
afternoon.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
Dr. John W. Gorder is closing his dental office in Grafton and will
leave Sunday for Fort Snelling and from there he will be stationed at
Gowen Field in Boise, Idaho.
He will serve as first lieutenant in the dental corp.
Since his graduation at the University of Minnesota he has practiced
dentistry in Grafton for three years, He is a native of Oakwood township
and a graduate of the Grafton high school. His parents are Mr. and Mrs.
Chris Gorder.
(Article as published in the April 15, 1942 edition of the Grafton
News and Times.)
------------------------
It would be extremely difficult for me to relate all of the people,
emotions and events that transpired yesterday at MarketPlace on 8th
regarding Jillian Demester's Benefit. Simply thanking everyone involved
seems so insignificant. Those who have participated in such an event
certainly understands the ramifications involved.
Todays Gazette will include a message from Jillians mother so I'll not
try express their families feelings here. I must also admit that I
simply cannot adequately express my families appreciation to those
involved, nor am I able to relate every emotion I experienced throughout
the course of yesterdays events.
However, I feel compelled to share a few of my own personal thoughts.
As the first person walked in at 11:00 I was surprised, that my concerns
of raising money for Jillians medical expenses seemed to lesson and the
importance of people and friendships started taking over. It was
heartwarming to see so many folks from all over the country. Oh, I
suppose, there might have been some of us there, that had to eat anyway.
But there was absolutely no question that most were there for the
"benefit" of Jillian. Often, I found it difficult to control my
emotions.
From the beginning, when John Aasand stopped by to drop off a donation
and start the silent auction on the jerseys, to the very end, when
Dennis Sevigny and Wally DeSautel agreed to each take one of the UND
jersey's, (for several hundred dollars, I might add) I continued on my
emotional roller coaster. I was leased "Our" present mayor and two
former mayor's attended, as did several area politicians along with
"Our" Sheriff and Norv and Jo Elbert. I had a chance to talk with Dave
Osowski (dad would be pleased about that) and it's been a long time
since I talked with Lynn (Thomson) McCarty. I was especially pleased to
see "Little" Ben Wharam at the event. Gosh he's a terrific little guy,
and, I understand he's doing fantastic. Dorothy Wentz stopped by and
said she thought I was talking to much,.. until I told her how good she
looked, then she told me I could keep talking. It was wonderful seeing
Edna (Church) Teevens there and, I might add, she even gave me a big
hug. It was really great visiting with Debbie (Watkins) DeLaRosa as
well. Debbie lives in south Texas and invited us down to visit.
Then too, I will never forget when a nice young boy approached me and
said, "my dad would like to talk to you". When I asked where his dad
was, he pointed to the other side of the room,.... and,... there sat my
good friend and fellow sugar tramp, Mike Stauss with his lovely wife.
That,.... my friends, was certainly one of the high lights of my day.
I've often said, "it takes a real man to cry". For that moment at
least, I was a real man. To think Mike, and his family, would drive to
Grafton to talk to me, and participate in a benefit of a family member
of mine, pushes the limits of my understanding of true friendship. Gosh
it was a great day yesterday. Gosh I'm happy that the folks I know are
the most wonderful people in the whole wild world.
---------------------------
I am very pleased to share the following note from Jillian's mother.
Val wrote: >>>
WOW! I just can't thank everyone enough for being a part of Jillian's
benefit yesterday. From everyone that helped out behind the scenes,
those who offered donations, auction items, food, baking, tickets, to
all people who helped at the benefit, and to everyone that attended
--THANK YOU!!! It was overwhelming the success. Gary, I would also
like too send a special "Thank You" for all the time, hard work, and
dedication that AK put into setting up the event. I know how
stressful it was but he did an awesome job. Not only did AK set
up and spear-head the benefit, but along with Jacqui, Casey & Justin,
they have been a huge support for me thru this whole thing. Also,
thank YOU Gary for the wonderful "words of wisdom" that you give
everyday thru the Shivercity Gazette. You are so appreciated and
loved and have always been a special part of our family.
The event was very successful but the most successful part to me was
when we got home and Jillian told me, "I was so surprised at how many
people were there today. It wasn't just family but alot of people I
didn't even know. And they told me that they cared and they prayed for
me. Even people I don't know." She was pretty overwhelmed by that
thought that people care so much and it doesn't have to be someone that
is a direct friend or family. It was a great feeling to have her
experience that and understand how important it is to always "be a
friend" to everyone because one day you made need them more than you can
ever imagine. That was indeed the description of a
"successful benefit".
Please send a personal thank you to everyone and anyone that has cared,
shared, prayed, and most of all been a friend. THANK YOU!!!

Valerie (Schlenk) Demester <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Val. We will all carry
yesterdays memories into eternity.
------------------------
Please welcome Diane and Mike Roufs, Annie Osowski and Ora Stewart to
"our" Gazette family.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: