Tuesday, October 03, 2006

October 3, 2006 - Tuesday

----------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you by Grafton Homecoming King and Queen.
~ Steven Olivarez and Rachel Lessard ~
CONGRATULATIONS to this years honored couple and to their Royal Court.
----------------------
The current temperature is 53 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 72/42
Normal H/L temp for this date is 63/38
On this date in 1989 the low was 15 degrees. That too, was another
night from hell, for those in the beet business.
It appears like the warm temperature pattern of the past several days
is over.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
We were pleased to be a part of the near capacity crowd at last nights
Homecoming Coronation in the High School Gym. It would have been a great
place to have the tissue concession. Most of the mothers involved were
smearing eye makeup down their cheeks and I noticed a few fathers
blubbering a bit as well. Jennifers aunts and uncles also found
swallowing difficult. Then, thinking I was holding up really well, I
looked at gramma Patti and noticed she too was irrigating her eyelashes.
That did it... My nose started running, my vision started blurring and
the lump in my throat felt like a basketball.
Did I mention it was a most enjoyable evening? To be sitting in a
"packed house" recognizing and honoring many of the young folks that
will eventually take the responsibility of running "our" world is a
heartwarming experience. One I would hope everyone could participate in.
Then, as the event was almost finished. The "coup de grace", for me at
least, Peggy Dahl Bartunek walked over to the grand piano and started
playing "Unchainded Melody". My grandson Dilan looked at me with a great
big smile and said, "grandpa, that's the song you sang out at the lake".
Yes it is, I said, it's my favorite song in the whole wide world, and,
as usual, Peggy was playing it magnificantly.
I thank God and everyone involved, for providing me with another "night
I'll never forget".
++++++++++
Christopher Larson, a member of Grafton high school student body and
one of the choir members that provided some of last nights
entertainment. Shared he following.
>>> Subject: HOMECOMING!!!
Congratulations to King Steve Olivarez and Queen Rachel Lessard for
being chosen Homecoming King and Queen for 2006. As a student at GHS,
I'm very proud of you!! Thanks, Chris. <<< Thank you for sharing and
caring Chris.
-----------------------
The next note poses a question we will all ponder, probably forever.
Wally wrote:
>>> Hi Gary
As I watched the garbage truck going down the street I
thought about all the garbage we make and push on to another community
at a cost, and, which is at their mercy. Now Grand Forks is almost
filled and as the news item said the garbage will have to go to Fargo.
If we all depend on Fargo, and, when they fill up what will be next ????
Here is a news item from the Los Angeles times....... A huge
island of discarded cups, bottle caps, plastic laundry baskets, rubber
sandals and other garbage has formed in an area of sluggish currents and
slack winds half way between California and Hawaii. The eastern garbage
patch as this floating dump is called is twice the size of Texas.
What is the answer to the garbage problem? Could it be we all
take care of our own as a community? What are your thoughts on the ever
growing problem? Wally <<< Thanks for the challenge Wally.
There's no question that everyone will need to "clean up their act" a
bit. (pardon the pun)
Way back in 1960, the year we were married, I worked with Willy Johnson
on "our" local garbage truck for awhile. It was obvious, even then, that
way to many folks were generating way more garbage than they needed to.
Here we are 46 years later and now we have "mastered the art" of waste
production. It would be interesting to hear what other "members" think.
------------------
This weeks firefighter calendar draw winners are:
10/2 Merle Gronseth $20
10/3 JoAnne West $20
10/4 Edwin and Gail Osowski $20
10/5 Chelsea Camacho $20
10/6 Connie Johnson $20
10/7 Tim Dvorak $20
10/8 Mildred Conerton $20
Congratulation to the lucky winners.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks the read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.
P.S.
If I haven't heard from you in awhile. I can't be sure if you're even
there. If I can't be sure you're there, I can't be sure why I'm here. Or
so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: