Wednesday, October 18, 2006

October 18, 2006 - Wednesday

==== really early edition ====
----------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, by Gold Bond and S & H Green
Stamps.
----------------------
The current temperature is 36 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 54/42
Normal H/L temp for this date is 56/33
We have received drizzle, rain, snow, wind and blowing snow all in the
past twenty four hours.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
"We continue to remain, one nation, under God, with terrorists and the
national news media threatening all." My name is Gary Moe and I approve
that message.
------------------------
I received an interesting phone call yesterday from a person,
accompanied by her husband, that had eaten at Reds Family Dining the
night before. I was told they ordered "walleye" and that it was
"absolutely fantastic". I happen to know those individuals, and, I can
assure you, If they say the walleye was fantastic, it was. There's
no-question about that.
I can still remember everyone driving to Nash on Friday nights for fish
supper. Now,.. everyone can drive to Grafton for delicious, fresh
tasting, Walleye.
-----------------------
Still no word on the status of Ekatta's. I made a couple trips by there
Tuesday afternoon and it sure looks dark inside. I didn't see any cars
parked close-by and no other signs of it being open either.
+++++
Speaking of cars parked close by. I find it interesting that when the
weather is nice. "Sometimes" local business folks and their employees
will actually walk a few extra feet to work. When the weather turns bad,
however, those folks, the ones hoping customers will come in and shop,
are using the premium parking spots themselves. Or so it seems to me.
------------------------
A few days ago, I mentioned the passing of Ricardo "Dick" Escobar. I
mentioned how he had "touched" us over the years, with his warm smile
and friendly wave whenever we would pass by. I mentioned the void he
would leave, not just for Pat and me but for everyone that knew him.
I wrote what I did, because I had gained a significant respect for Mr.
Escobar. Not only for who he was, but also for what he stands for. I
wanted to tell "the world" about the special man we came to expect to
see each time we would pass by his home. I mentioned if wealth were
measured by family and friends. Ricardo Escobar was indeed a very
wealthy man.
Even though I knew the Escobar's did not receive the Gazette, I wanted
to share our feelings with those that do. Somehow, however, it seems the
Escobar's did receive a copy of the Gazette. For that, I am pleased. I
am also pleased to be able to share the following note I received from a
member of the Escobar family.
>>> Thank you for the very nice write-up for my dad Ricardo. I don't
think that dad really knew how many people knew him. From his walks, or,
from when he sat outside. He so enjoyed sitting for hours watching
people pass by and wave. This really made his day, when he would wave
and people waved back.
Thank you again for your kindness.
Ricardo's Family. <<< Now that, my friends, is humbling. Caring and
sharing is what this world is all about and Ricardo has left this world,
and his family, with the best of both.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of caring and sharing. My sister Ann wanted to share the
following. >>>
From the desk of Auntie Annie's Bed and Breakfast:
Two summers ago I got to have 2 great young people as guests at my "B &
B" here in Minneapolis in the form of Casey Moe and Jillian Demester.
They were wonderful guests and we had a great time. This summer I was
equally privileged to have a couple other Demesters stay at my little
establishment. While Jill was down here away from her home, friends
and family for so long her Grandma Lois and Sister Ashley stayed with me
a couple weekends. They were also wonderful guests. I even got to
host a rather large family picnic to celebrate Jill's release from
Gillette. Everyone seemed surprised at the number of people and dogs
I can get in this little house but everyone also had a great time. We
also found out that Angie's sleep-over friend really loved corn! (Yes,
my greyhound has sleep-overs). I think its hard to understand the scope
of a serious accident until you have been involved in one yourself. A
person may see the hospital bills and think insurance probably takes
care of most of that. Well, working for an insurance company I can tell
you most of that, is not all of that! And then there are the
incidentals. When you are hundreds of miles away from home and someone
needs to be with you at all times for physical as well as moral support
there are travel expenses, food, lodging, time missed from work, home,
family. Small cost to support a loved one but a cost. Then
there are the months, and years of checkups, therapy, continued
medical needs, usually again far away. I understand my brother Ak
and others are putting together a little fundraiser on Sunday Oct.
29th to help support Jill and her family. I am not able to be there but
my other brother John and I have sent up a few things for the silent
auction. I don't think the Twins cap will be a huge seller anymore but
the Vikings hoodie might be nice. Goobers turkey alone is worth the
price of a ticket. I just wanted to forward a little note to let
everyone know what a great kid Jillian is and I know her family could
use the support. Even if its just knowing their community stands beside
them in a challenge. Jill I am sending all my love and hope you come
and visit Angie and Me again.
Ann E. Moe <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Ann. I too hope
the benefit for Jillian Louise Demester on October 29 is a huge success.
Those looking for tickets for the event, $10 each, can find them at
most stores in town. I would be happy to set one aside for anyone that
wishes or if you prefer to send a contribution. A special account has
been established for Jillian at the Grafton Bremer Bank. Items for the
silent auction can be dropped off at Grafton Floral. Along with
additional silent auction items, AK has indicated the need for bake sale
items as well. Please feel free to call if you have any questions,
352-2241, that's the shop number, 360-2241 that's AK's cell number. My
number is 352-1599 and my cell is 520-0536. If you call me, I won't know
much, but I can probably find the answers for you. AND, I can still sell
tickets with the best of them. Gary.
----------------------
I am pleased to welcome Jane and Gordon Thompson to the Gazette family.
I hope, from time to time, they might find reason to share a part of
their world with us.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
"To know what is right, and then not do it. Is the worst form of
cowardice."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: