Monday, April 10, 2006

April 9, 2006 - Sunday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

04/09/06 SUNDAY
REALLY LATE EDITION
--------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Shady Oak Camp
Ground. Formerly Phyll and Bills Drive Inn, just east of the Fair Oaks
Golf Course.
--------------------
The current temperature is 49 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was N/A
Normal H/L temp for this date is N/A
The Shivercity Gazette staff is preparing to put the Shivercity portion
on the shelf for the summer. As soon as the average H/L temperatures are
above freezing, Shivercity will cease and the Skeeterville Gazette will
become the summers resource for babble.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
For those wondering where Grafton is. We are about a ½ inch south of
the Canadian border and just a tad less than that north of Grand Forks.
If your not looking for anything to do this summer. You can do it better
in Grafton than anywhere. A beautiful 9 hole grass Green Golf Course,
the nicest camp ground between Grand Forks and Winnipeg. Breakfast at
Granny's and Supper (dinner for you folks south of St. Paul) at
Marketplace on 8th, and a liberal amount of libation dispensaries
staffed with wonderful folks specially trained to listen to travelers
trivia.
Folks returning for this years Summerfest and class reunions will be
able to see some of Uncle Sigs Gigantic Antique collection, right here
in town at Heritage Village.
---------------------
There is something going on out at Elmwood on the 22nd of this month.
I'm not sure what, but according to "our" local channel 3, if we have
any questions we can call one of the board members. I wonder if they
left the names of the board members off the announcement on purpose, or
if someone thought everyone should know who they are.
==================================
"The only difference between an educated person with a foul mouth and a
dummy,.... is the cost of the education." Or so it seems to me.
==================================
I wonder what ever happened to The Friends of Friendship Campaign. I
got a chance to shake Butch's hand Saturday at Rally in the Valley.
Butch is always an interesting individual to talk to.
----------------------
Last week was a very busy week for some and stressful for many. With
several funerals and two large benefits it was difficult, for some, to
decide where or what function they should, or could attend. Judging by
the size of the turnout at all of them, most folks must have
participated in all of them.
That of course, is what keeps small towns together, close knit, and
friendly. The ability to be able to say Hi to a complete stranger on the
street is one of the things many folks "miss" when they move to the
city.
Recognizing people, for the most part, at all of last weeks benefits
and funerals. Sharing and caring, with everyone, is what we would like
folks to believe are best done in small communities. I to, believe "we"
are as good as any in that endeavor.
From the time I was a small boy. I was taught, sometimes you can say
more not saying anything. I'm wondering, if that was the case in this
weeks St. John the Evangelist Church Bulletin.
The Church Mission Statement reads. St. John the Evangelist Parish is a
Catholic Community of believers who worship God and share faith with
others through welcoming, encouraging, sharing, reconciling, being
faithful, praying and healing in Jesus' name.
That statement was printed on the first page, and, I believe it's a
good one. On the second page, however, the following.
Our Sympathies to: Paul Campbell, the Bill & Tammy Campbell family,
the Greg & Leanne Campbell family on the death of their wife, mother and
grandmother, Marietta Campbell.
As I read the previous message I thought "maybe", to save space,
Marietta's daughters were intentionally left out and just the son's that
lived in town were mentioned. Then, I realized Tom, the oldest son, and
his wife Lori were also not mentioned and they do live in town.
Then I went back and read the mission statement again, and I'll be
darned i I don't think someone, somewhere, is trying to say something,
somehow, without saying it. Of course that's just my opinion, and, it's
not worth much, if anything at all. I think the individual responsible
for the expression of sympathies to the Paul Campbell family should
re-read the announcement, revisit the thought, and offer a most humble
apology to the Campbell family. Or so it seems to me.
------------------------
I haven't heard any attendance numbers for Nessa Schrank's benefit
Sunday although I can say. "There sure was a pile of people there when
Pat and I went." This time, one of the first folks I saw as we entered
Marketplace was Cheryl Vistad, then Rose Wendelbo, she was directing
traffic like the Canadian Mounted Police used to on Portage Avenue in
Winnipeg during a Queens visit. Her husband Howard got promoted, from
cashier at the Wharams benefit, to a photographer for Nessa's gathering.
I also noticed Jim Vistad advanced from hauling dirty plates to the
garbage to filling them with potato salad. I noticed too, that he didn't
get any "slimmer" over the past few days either. Then again,... neither
did I.
Of course we (I) couldn't leave without foraging thru the fresh baked
food department. WOW, it truly was a diabetics "hell on earth". This
time though, I was able to hold Pat down to a couple dozen brownies a
couple boxes of carrot cake, two pans of banana bread and two dozen
peanut butter cookies. That should last "most" of the week.
Both benefits, for "little" Ben & Maria and for Nessa Schrank are
especially worthwhile. It certainly is not to late, to contribute to
their cause. To all of you that have. From Pat and me, and our whole
family, thank you so much. May your days always be blessed with health
and Happiness. And, should you stumble along the way. The world is full
of super people, caring and sharing every day. Gary & Pat and family.
-------------------------
Wally wanted to share the following.
Hi Gary;
We saw the third highly successful fund raiser at the
Marketplace on 8th. I have been born and raised here and have seen
nothing like these for people who were truly in need of help and
deserved it. It's great to live in a community such as we have here.
We should be most happy to have people like Sue Corneillie
in business and a part of our community. Always ready to help. To be
very honest, stop a minute and think. What would we do without her place
of business? Sue deserves our support.
As I worked in my shop today I thought about these fund
raisers. My thoughts were that our community is filled with loads of
talent in so many ways. People ready to roll up their sleeves and go to
work. Our sincere thanks to you all. Wally
<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Wally. I couldn't agree
more.
-----------------------
I would also like to thank everyone for the cards, notes and letters on
my birthday. Your thoughts and prayers are very much appreciated. It may
be old age, senility or a combination of both. But I seem to get a
little more sentimental each year.
I especially want to thank you Rod, for your thoughtfulness and heart
touching words. I will never, forget them. Gary
------------------------
I am pleased to welcome Rich & Ruth Clemenson, Jean Bodmer and Evelyn
Torblaa to the Gazette family.
------------------------
I am happy to report that the "previously lost" Tuesday Gazette has
started showing up again. I'll be darned if I know why, or where they
went but so far I've received 15 notes saying there in someones
mailbox,... finally.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: