Tuesday, April 11, 2006

April 10, 2006 - Monday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

04/10/06 MONDAY
LATE EDITION
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by the folks at the
Rolling Pin Bakery. Formerly Tweet's Dry Cleaning.
---------------------
The current temperature is 56 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 57/32
Normal H/L temp for this date is 50/29
We have a 70% chance it will not rain tonight. The chances of not
raining tomorrow are a bit less.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
The windows in front of the former Penney's building have been covered
with paper. That would indicate something secretive going on inside,
but,.. we won't know that for sure til the paper comes down. It does say
"open soon" in a couple places so it won't be long and we'll all know.
-----------------------
The Marketplace on 8th will be open Easter Sunday serving from 10:30 to
1:30
Turkey, Dressing, Ham, Meatballs & all the trimmings, full salad bar &
dessert bar. Pat and I have been going to Marketplace on 8th for Easter
for the past several years. The food has always been fantastic and,... I
don't have to wash the dishes.
This year, when we go, I am going to make a special point to thank
Suzie and her staff for caring enough to share her entire facilities for
the family benefits of this past week.
-------------------------
Speaking of last weeks benefits, thanks Ray and Marcy Gourde for
sending money to help the Wharam and Schrank family in their time of
need. We dropped your checks off at Thrivent Monday afternoon. Thanks
also to Ray and Marcy for helping "our" Legion Baseball team be as good
as they can be. Ray, your ticket number is 89 and Marcy, yours is 90. I
wish you both good luck in this coming May draw.
-----------------------
It's still not to late for anyone to help the Schrank and Wharam
families, and of course it also not to late to enter this years Grafton
American Legion Baseball program calendar drawing.
23 weekday draw for $50 each. 4 Saturday draws for $100 each. You
can't win if you don't enter, and if you don't enter the Legion Ball
team may not be all they can be.
------------------------
I learned a long time ago the dangers of dabbling in politics or
religion. However, yesterday I did diddle in the politics of religion.
I suggested that the omission of two very simple words, "and Family"
would have meant so much to so many. Almost the instant I got home from
Granny's, I received a phone call. One I very much appreciated getting I
should add. The caller suggested that it is not the churches practice to
extend (in the bulletin) sympathies to anyone other than members of the
church. Or, family members that do not reside in "our" community. I was
told the office is so busy, they might not even have time to add "and
family" to the bulletin. It was even suggested that I try follow the
office staff around sometime and see how busy they really are.
Well,...maybe that's all true. I still believe when a mans wife die's,
the church bulletin should extend sincere sympathies to the man, and,
his family. Regardless of where, or what denomination they belong to.
++++++++++++++
Next I received the following note.
Gary
Just a brief comment regarding our St John's Church bulletin and
the Church's offer of condolences to the Campbell family.
First, I am certain that Fr. Tim and many other members of the St
John's parish family extended heartfelt condolences to the entire
Campbell family in person and in cards throughout the past week. You
are correct to notice that the message in the church bulletin applied
only to those family members who are currently registered members of St.
John's. As it is with any death of a family member, the bulletin
expresses their condolences only to the family members who are in the St
John's family. After all, the church bulletin is written for the
members of St. John's and we do not assume that non-members will read
the bulletin.
The entire family of St John's will miss Marietta Campbell.
+++++++
Next I received the following.
Hi Gary -- Just read your latest "edition" -- very good and timely,
as usual. I have just one comment regarding your reference to the
sympathy note to the Campbells. I'm sure that Father Tim, or whoever
wrote it, named the Campbells who are members of St. Johns, presuming
that most likely the ones who are not members would not have access to
nor see a copy of the bulletin. I just cannot think for a minute
that Father Tim is lacking in charity or kind feelings to anyone who is
in mourning.
I think it would be better not to print this, but use your own
judgment on that. <<<<
Thanks a million for the note. It is difficult for me to believe that
anyone, would extend sympathies to specific family members and
"intentionally" leave other family members out.
There is also little doubt, in my mind, and others as well, that
the omission of "other" family members was intentional.
I further believe that this specific topic was in fact discussed
"before" printing and it was decided, by someone, to omit Tom & Lori
because of there circumstance and rely on a "superficial" policy to
cover it.
For all of the reasons one could conjure up, in heaven, or on
earth. I can't believe that it was right in any way to eliminate the
words "and family" after Paul Campbell's name.
To use the "rational" that not recognizing other family members
outside the church, because they wouldn't see it anyway is certainly not
a valid excuse in this case, and, a poor one at best in any other. Of
course, I too believe Father Tim did a fantastic job of standing by the
family during these unfortunate times. Of course he also may well have
extended his personal Sympathies to each individual family member. That
unfortunately was never the issue. The issue is the simple omission of
two words in the bulletin,... and they are, "and family".
I have members in my family from several different denominations. It is
disheartening to me to think that when I die. Whichever church will have
me, will only recognize one specific congregation, AND, only those
family members that "happen" to live in town.
I would much rather read,...from whichever direction I go, Our
Sympathies to Patricia Moe and family. --- It just seems so
simple,...and, so important.
Or so it seems to me. Gary
------------
And finally, I received this note on the same subject. >>> Thanks for
saying what you did about the Campbell's. I thought we were beyond that.
Well, most of us are. <<< Thanks for caring and sharing and I guess I
can't add much to that.
+++++++++++++++
I find it absolutely mind boggling, that "my" doctor, a Legal
American citizen, can be detained and beaten for almost 8 hours, trying
to get back into "his" country from Canada. When millions of illegal
aliens are demanding that we allow them to stay. OR, they will become a
source we will be forced to reckon with. It is mind boggling to think
that Legal Americans have been sentenced to jail for "breaking the law"
by shooting one more duck than they are "allowed". What is legal,....
anyway?
-------------------------
Please welcome Mike Leighton and Rob Parsons to the Gazette family
tree. In the future I hope those requesting the Gazette will share at
least a small note about themselves. If you prefer I not send that
information out, simply say so and it will remain "our" secret.
Something as simple as a name, address and place of employment are very
helpful. Hobbies, travel and family information is also really
beneficial for the Gazette library.
----------------------
This weeks annual Firefighter Calendar Draw winners are:
4/10/2006 Trueman Thompson * $20.00
4/11/2006 Norine Prigge $20.00
4/12/2006 Kermit Finstad * $20.00
4/13/2006 Perry L. Cameron $20.00
4/14/2006 Randy Dahlen $20.00
4/15/2006 Rita Jehlicka $20.00
4/16/2006 Diane UrBauer * $250.00
Congratulations to this weeks winners.
Especially the three from the Gazette.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: